main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Richard Armitage, you are too damn pretty...

2. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
  3. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think the one with bilbo and the dwarves all tied up in sacks is my favorite.

Random Comments likes this.
  4. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    They're all my favourites.

Mar17swgirl and Random Comments like this.
  5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    I like the concept art ones, but they're all cool.

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I love the Dwarves on a spit!

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I love all of them. [face_love]

Random Comments and Everton like this.
  8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Barriss_Coffee and Mar17swgirl like this.
  9. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    I actually really like that song minus a few quibbles. It sets a different tone for this set of movies, and in the end it may be more appropriate. Thanks for the link.

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Fifth TV spot. Ken Stott delivers Balin's "letter opener" line so well. Kills me every time. I think I'm going to like Balin.

11. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Yeah, Balin is great. Which makes FOTR all the more heartbreaking, I must say.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

12. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Quite. When I know Stott as Balin, when I know Balin, that scene in FotR is going to become very hard to watch.

EDIT: I like your icon, Lauré. :)

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, having heard it in its entirety (unlike the snippet that started in the middle of the chorus and made me go "WTF?!"), and having seen the 60 new behind-the-scenes and concept art images from the film, I now imagined this playing over the credits... yes, I decided I love it. :D

14. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Thanks. The design's not mine, though (I wish!). It's shamelessly stolen from TheOneRing.net's online shop. But it fit in so well in this particular forum, given my user name and all, that I couldn't resist...

Cheers,

15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The whole song is really good. Really good. My only criticism is that occasionally the lyrics are buried by the music (he has such a soft voice). At least, I didn't pick out every word the first time I listened to it through. That's a minor quibble, though.The more I hear it, the more I'm loving it. Can't wait to hear it over the credits.

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Some new shots in the Japanese trailer:

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The mixing is at fault, yes, but a deeper more sonorous voice wouldn't get lost quite so easily.

EDIT: His voice is possibly the reason it took me a little while to warm to the song. I think of dwarves, and I think of something deeper.

19. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I listened to it just now, and can't say Iwas particularly impressed. I love Finn, but not sure he was the best piick for the song, needs more of a deep baritone.

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Well, there already is a baritone singing that song - Richard Armitage. I guess they wanted something different for the end credits version of the song, not something that would sound like a copy of the one from the film. I personally don't mind Finn's softer voice at all.

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There's something about his voice that puts me in mind of vast open spaces, long distances to travel and places unseen. It sounds like it's on the wind. Drifting on high as the dwarves (accompanied by their tools and chants) go on foot. When I hear it over the end credits I'm going to think about how far they have to go and how much is yet to come.

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  22. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    I've come to appreciate very much how that song has a bit of a dream-like atmosphere. And hearing Neil Finn's version, I imagined a scene showing the Dwarves in their exile, toiling over their weapons (be it axe or sword), while a voice sings of the lost kingdom, an obsessive leitmotiv hanging over all, reminding them of glories past that must be reclaimed... But other contexts might suit it as well.

And I can't wait to hear Armitage's version, either. I saw the trailer in the theatre the other day, and I closed my eyes to better appreciate his singing, taking advantage of the high-end sound system. Can we just say that he's totally a Badass Baritone? *sigh*

Cheers,

Mar17swgirl and Everton like this.
  23. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    I like the term "Badass Baritone", even though it's not a proper musical term. :p

Speaking of badass baritones, we had one at our concert this past Sunday where we sang the whole of Händel's Messiah - an amazing Czech soloist. His voice was simply divine. [face_love]

/end off topic musicgasm :p

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    When Armitage et al take to song in Bag End, my heart will stir, my head will swim and my inner nerd will dance for joy.

MrZAP likes this.
  25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm with you on this dude's voice. It's too much John Denver and not a deep dwarven voice.