main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Vader's death?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Greedoliveson, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greedoliveson

Greedoliveson Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2012
    It's always kind of bothered me how Vader dies. Luke cuts of his hand in the lightsaber duel but his had is mechanical and that wouldn't kill him. It seems that Palpatine's force lightening killed him but he didn't take as much punishment as Luke who seemed fine afterwards?

So what killed Vader?

2. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Vader's suit was a full life-support system, needed after nearly getting burned to a crisp on Mustafar. Palp's Force Lightning destroyed the life-support functions/controls.

3. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    The problem with Force lightning is it wreaks havoc on life-supports systems. You'll notice Vader's breathing is more strained, it's because the system keeping him alive was failing.

4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Jinx, lol

5. Greedoliveson

Greedoliveson Jedi Youngling

Feb 15, 2012
    oh, never thought of that, doh!

thanks

6. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I accept this as a probable explanation for Vader's death but it wasn't made clear in the film at all. We didn't see any visual evidence of his suit shorting out or anything. As a kid I never understood why Vader seemingly died from having his robotic hand chopped off, so I see this as quite a big flaw in the movie really.

7. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    It was not getting his hand chopped off, it was his life support system shutting down. The man is a walking Iron lung, and I can't imagine Palps Bolts being good for such a delicate system.

8. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Right. But it's not made clear in the movie. The only thing that was obvious to my 7-year-old brain was that he'd had his hand chopped off. Let's not forget that these movies are meant for kids.

9. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Yes but you can see that after his hand has been cut off he's fine, standing next to Palpatine, whereas as soon as he drops the Emperor he's become terribly weaker and his breathing has become worse. To me it was always evident that it had something to do with the Force-lightning.

10. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Point proven.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't consider "cause of death not blatantly obvious to a 7-year-old" equating to a "flaw in the movie."

Besides, my 7-year-old understood that the Force-lightning killed Vader.

12. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah but why did waaaaaaaaaaaaaay less force lightning than Luke endured prove fatal to Vader?

Because the suit "shorted out", right? Even though we see no visual evidence of that in the movie (like sparks or smoke or blinking lights etc).

I've heard/read tons of people asking why Vader died, not just the starter of this thread or my 7-year-old self.

To me, if people have to ask what happened (in a kids movie!), this constitutes an obvious flaw in the movie.

13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was intense enough to produce the "x-ray sparks" effect on Vader, which we don't see on Luke.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  14. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Daaaam, i know i'm opening myself up to be talked at like an idiot. But a 7-year-old using the word "constitutes"?

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know, I doubt there is any movie anywhere in which NOBODY ever asked what happened. In fact, I'd consider it a flaw if everything were spelled out to me; I like to have to use at least a few of my brain cells.

I was 11 in 1983 and there was no doubt whatsoever in my mind about how Vader died. I never even made a connection with his losing his arm and his death.

16. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Now what is interesting is why when Luke and Vader are fighting, he suddenly inexplicably leans down and places his hand on the rail of the bridge, right before Luke starts bashing him over and over again.

He wasn't even pushed or anything. He just kinda leans down for no reason what so ever.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    A Force Push wouldn't necessarily be seen IMO; alternatively, Vader has two prosthetic legs - he could just have stumbled.

18. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    Sounds good typed up but seriously, look up the duel between them on YouTube. Right before Luke loses everything and totally freaks out and starts whopping on Vader, Vader just kinda intentionally leans down.

19. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    So to embellish on what I was saying, Vader dodges Luke's lightsaber by ducking to the right, then just kinda stays there and holds on to the rail for no reason

20. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    LOL Obviously I'm not 7 anymore. Sadly, that was quite some time ago. :)

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  21. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree with you. To me, the whole scene is full of flaws. Like how on earth did Luke, with a couple weeks training jumping around and swinging on vines, manage to defeat a dark lord of the Sith by ungracefully swinging his lightsaber around like a lunatic? And despite being warned by Yoda not to underestimate the powers of the Emperor, why the heck did Luke throw his lighsaber away? I could never figure that one out.

22. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    IITS.

23. Mnhay27

Sep 4, 2012
    What does IITS mean? Please explain for us old folks ;)

24. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    It's in the script.

25. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.