main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will (Insert Character Name Here) Be in Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi , Oct 31, 2012.

1. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Chewbacca is part of the deal for whoever owns the Falcon.

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Market realities will do it, not fan thinking... lets face it, they want Han, Leia, and Luke... considering Chewies constant presence in the OT they'll want him to.

3. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    And where did the wookipedia get that fact?

I sure don't remember anywhere in the films in which the audience learned that wookies could live to be 600 years old.

4. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Maybe Lowbacca will take his place at Han's side.

But seriously, I'm not terribly bothered either way. As long as Jar Jar is nowhere to be seen, I'm happy.

5. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    @ StarWarsFan91: That's the link from StarWars.com database, sir. In the ANH novelization, he was described as being 200 years old.
    Chewie may have mentioned it in the films, but I don't recall his dialog being subtitled.

thesevegetables likes this.
  6. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Films don't tell that much. I seem to remember reading about Wookiees hundreds of years old in books. I'm not an expert on books, just what I think.

7. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    That just proves my point. That so much of what fans take for fact, even purists, is actually material that came out of the EU. Therefore its weird for some people to acknowledge some EU as important, but then disregard other EU as not canon.

That info about wookies age came from books, therefore EU

8. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    EU is so canon. People need to get that into their brains. Star Wars is huge and not everything can be fit into 13 hours.

9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I do recall Peter Mayhew somewhere saying he signed for a 7 8 and 9. But he could play Waroo or Lowie, it doesn't have to be Chewbacca. But then again, they resurected the Emperor how many times. They can always retcon the NJO Chewie as a clone and have the real Chewbacca recaptured as a slave who finally escapes and joyous reunion with Solo family... I'd rather just see Waroo or Lowie

10. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    Mayhew did indeed slip and say something about signing on for sequels at one point in time about a year ago and then retract it. Been trying to find the article, but I believe it was around the time of the Ahsoka hunted episodes of the Clone Wars aired and Chewie made his first appearance in TCW. I fully expect Chewbacca to be back. And as much as I loved the New Jedi Order novels and thought that his ending was handled well, I am 100% fine with Chewie being back.

11. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    You can make an argument that his role in Cowboys and Aliens was a supporting role. Yes he had a lot of time on screen but I would say that the lead role was Daniel Craig.

Again, as many people have said in this thread and others, they don't need to worry about retconning anything in the EU. They will write the story they want and if it screws up the EU, then that's what will happen. So if you want to call that retconning, I guess you can but I see it more like "ignoring".

12. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Let's just replace Chewie with Jar Jar as Han's co pilot. He isn't officially dead yet. That will tie the PT and the OT together. I joke. Lets see Waroo or Lowie. Wookiee Jedi = Epic

13. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    A bombad idea, my friend.

14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Yes, it's canon, but not at the expense of the films. And I think that is the major issue here. If Disney decides they want to include Chewie, writing over a good chunk of the EU in the process, then there is nothing there to stop them. It will simply become the new canon. That's the nature of the beast. Personally, I would like them to have as much creative freedom as possible and not be tied down by a boatload of supplemental material, but at the same time, I sympathize with those that wish to keep the EU intact. It's a tricky situation and I suppose we just have to wait and see how it's handled.

To answer the original question, I think it is a very real possibility that we will see Chewie, especially if any of the original cast return. The Wook has always been a popular character among fans and general audiences alike and I don't think Disney will pass up an opportunity to really cash in on that.

15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe we'll get Cheewiee instead of Chewie.

kataja likes this.
  16. DarthBlanco

Feb 11, 2004
    Ships have dogs. Millennium Falcons have wookiees.

17. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    Oh these should definitely come back together to get revenge, lol.

18. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Mara Jade (Skywalker?) and Corran Horn

Darth Myon likes this.
  19. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Luke is a must. Droids are a must. Everything else is up in the air..

... aside from the one-armed Wampa. He's slowly getting his way across the galaxy and that's the big-twist ending where he finally gets his revenge on Luke.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    To paraphrase Harrison Ford, there is no money in Dead Chewbacca toys.

21. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Oh really?
    Fans'll buy anything.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. DarthBlanco

Feb 11, 2004
    Bib Fortuna.

23. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Luke, Han, and Leia played by the original actors!![face_dancing] I'd like to see the story focus mostly on them. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher are the reason Star Wars is so special to me. The deep friendships, great chemistry, brilliant actors- Bring them back![face_praying]

(Also like to see Artoo, Threepio, Lando, Chewie and other OT faves as well, but Luke, Han, and Leia are an absolute must for me!)

24. Darth Myon

Darth Myon Jedi Youngling

Nov 9, 2012
    Corran Horn. He is my favorite Jedi. He isn't all powerful but he gets the job done. Plus he is one of the best X-wing pilots in the galaxy.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Original Trilogy Characters to Return:
    Luke
    Leia
    Han
    Wedge
    Lando
    Boba Fett
    Bossk
    IG-88
    R2-D2
    C-3P0
    Lobot
    Wicket
    Max Rebo
    Salacius Crumb

Prequel Trilogy Characters to Return:
    Dex
    Watto
    Sebulba

EU Characters:
    Ben
    Jaina
    Corran Horn
    Gavin Darklighter
    Kyle Katarn
    Syal Antillies
    Clighal
    Jag (maybe)
    Lowie or Waroo
    K'Krukk
    Allanna (maybe)
    Zekk (maybe)

New Characters:
    Young Street Smart Non Force Sensitive Female equivalent of Han Solo to romance Ben
    Nautolan Character
    New Bounty Hunter
    New Hutt
    Lots of new Jedi

Jordan1Kenobi and Darth Myon like this.