main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should there be gay characters in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Mountain

Jedi Mountain Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2012
    This is an interesting question. There were no gay characters in the OT. Disney, which now is the parent company of Lucas Films, is generally thought of as conservative, "family-oriented entertainment". However, the screenwriter of Episode VII, Michael Arndt, is reported to be gay. And the current political climate has the country much more open to gay marriage in 2012 with President Obama's "evolution" on the issue. My question is this: is there room in the Star Wars universe for gay characters and it is that a good thing for the Disney universe? If so, then surely the ST will boldly go where no man (or woman) has gone before....

cwustudent likes this.
  2. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    There isn't anything wrong with gay people, but I don't think there will really be a point for having gayness in the plot. The plot never told us that Luke was straight, either. In short: DOESN'T REALLY MATTER. In Sex and the City, gayness actually contributes to the plot. We shouldn't have gay people simply FOR THE SAKE OF HAVING GAY PEOPLE, though.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I tried googling "gay jedi" for a picture response and didn't find anything but this is a cool photo anyway, hope it makes it into the movie!
    [​IMG]

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. No "token gay people," but if it contributes to the plot for a character to be gay, then by all means, include the gay character.

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    First off "the country" you refer to is not the only country in the world and US political situation should in no way affect the coming script for a movie franchise that is loved all over the globe.

While I have nothing against homesexuals, I do not see how that fits into a new Star Wars movie. The romances in these movies have been rather simple and pretty straight to the point - except, of course, that Luke and Leia kiss, but that aside.
    I do not really see new SW movies as a platform for exploring these kinds of questions. It might be interesting to sometime go into that if they run out of ideas on the live action show, or something :p
    But to be honest I simply don't see how that could be in the movie and be relevant to the story itself, not just be there for the sake of a "currently hot topic" that is just shoved in.

6. Uncle Owen

Uncle Owen Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 1999
    So the Sith will be returning...

7. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    C-3P0. /thread

Seriously though, I don't think there is a need for it but I wouldn't care personally. I'm not sure sexuality is a big part of the Star Wars mythos in that regards, its more about the general themes of love. Would it be neat to see? I think so, but they would have to handle it so carefully for a broader audience that it would seem watered down. There is still too big of a segment of the population that would make a bigger deal out of it than it needed to be in my opinion, and that's unfortunate.

thesevegetables likes this.
  8. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I have to agree. This issue has nothing to do with SW. Sexuality so far has been limited to Han and Leia flirting and the Ani / Padme romance. Star Trek is something that could explore sexuality but in SW it would seem out of place. Just casually having a gay romance, such as between Achilles and Patroclus or Alexander and Hephaistion, could work in something more remote & heroic, like KOTOR, but it would stand out like a sore thumb in a regular SW movie. Ultimately, SW doesn't really pry into what goes on in bedrooms, it's kind of a relief from a sexually obsessed society and gives the imagination other fantasies to imagine.

9. DarthBlanco

DarthBlanco Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    No.

Spazmatron likes this.
  10. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Hey, did Philip Wise approve of this thread?

11. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    No. There's no need to have any in the films.

Spazmatron likes this.
  13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think they should just to force the issue in Comms.

... Wait, what?

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  15. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    As far as we know.

16. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Nooooooooooooooo

17. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm not naming any names, but I am saying there's a large, muscular, hairy fellow who prefers the company of other men.

cwustudent and SuperWatto like this.
  18. Jedi Mountain

Jedi Mountain Jedi Youngling

Nov 12, 2012
    I agree with you. However, the ST will be primarily made by people who live in the USA. and I think that is relevant in the political climate in which we live. I am in no way making a judgment here. I am just curious if it would it make a difference to the Star Wars fanbase or the Disney fanbase if there are character(s) in Episode VII who are gay? I am not talking about a Gay Pride parade on Coruscant here, but perhaps subtle hints in scenes with certain characters in the upcoming script that may suggest something -- appropriately done for general audiences -- that would expand the Star Wars and/or Disney universes to make them more embraceable for gay audiences?

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    And had relations with Yoda. Good ones, too.

cwustudent and thesevegetables like this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oolah in Jabba's palace seemed like a girl who would be up for a good time.

G-FETT and JediKnightOB1 like this.
  21. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Anything which makes me feel uncomfortable should not be allowed.

darth fluffy, Contessa, Esg and 7 others like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    MODified: I had been strawmanning.

Billy_Dee_Binks likes this.
  23. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    If it doesn't add to the story, I see no reason to include it.

24. LilZua

LilZua Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2012
    There probably already are... I mean come on... all those Jedi forced not to.. you know.. You know at some point they compared lightsabers.

25. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Donald Duck does not wear pants. This is frankly unacceptable.

zarkinfrood and Yunners like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.