main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Reactions] U.S. Presidential Election Day 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Nov 4, 2012.

1. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I still find this to be quite astonishing.

Romney is suppose to be a data-driven technocrat, but even he fell for the GOP alternate electorate reality. It makes no sense, the country has gotten more diverse every presidential election since 1976, to expect old white guys to care you to victory is the height of wishful thinking.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I felt the same way when my house got a call from the local "Romney/Ryan Victory Center". Too much!

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Karl Rove was also running ads in Rhode Island for Romney [face_laugh]

Anyways, is it sad or hilarious that the Tea Party Republicans are now basically saying "Minorities" = "Lazy Welfare Recipients" = "Democrats."
    It's like they're trying to make themselves even more unelectable, saying minorities are all a bunch of "takers."
    They're clinging to the 47% video as justification for their defeat... and the cycle continues.

Some Republicans have more common sense. Boehner says he's open to revenue increases and immigration reform. Bill Kristol says the GOP should abandon the rich on tax rates.

The United States is on-track to achieve Energy Independence within 18 years
    (and this isn't even taking into account that we're also on the track for 80% of our electricity to be generated by clean energy withn 23 years):
    http://money.cnn.com/2012/11/12/news/economy/us-oil-production-energy/index.html?iid=HP_LN&hpt=hp_c2

4. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Boehner says he's open to "revenue increases" because he's still singing the same song that the Romney campaign was singing. Close loopholes, et cetera - but don't raise rates. According to these guys you increase revenue by lowering rates. Boehner has assuredly not had any kind of common sense epiphany.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's better than the pre - election stance which was "We're not doing Jack**** on taxes at all, except cuts." It's a start. Not exactly a good start, but it's a start.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I liked Andy Borowitz' take on US oil production: once we're energy-independent, we'll have to find another excuse to invade small Middle Eastern countries.

As far as the 47% video, it would have never led to their defeat if they didn't all actually believe it. What's their problem? They're actually appalled that their nominee got caught on tape saying what they've been spouting on the Internet all along?

I got an AP push notification last week, a couple of days past election day, indicating that Obama would veto any bill that did not allow the Bush tax cuts to expire on those making over $250K. I'm not sure Boehner has a choice as far as being "open to" such policy.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Romney wanted to keep it revenue-neutral. Which is what Boehner was arguing before too.

It's Obama who's been arguing about increasing revenue by closing loopholes for the last 4 years, which is what Bowles-Simpson advocated too.

And yes, you can increase revenue by closing loopholes.

Who cares about raising the rate, if the rich keep using loopholes like Romney did, and end up still paying an effective tax rate of 10%?

8. BootlegVader

BootlegVader Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I don't know the extent of Rhode Island's broadcasting, but it could be similar to how there were Romney buyouts in the Boston, MA. market as that overlaps into the New Hampshire area. Thus, the focus could have been more of an attempt to get more ads into New Hampshire then just buying inter-state airtime.

edit: Does anyone else really want Grover Norqueist to get caught in some massive sex or otherwise scandal? Thus, finally destroying his creditably.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I'm pretty sure Norquist is in the closet.

And did anyone else hear his tirade the other day? It involved him saying "poopy head"

10. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    Seriously, listening to Republicans whine about Obama negatively attacking Romney is completely ridiculous and :rolleyes:

Honestly, they have been only engaging in a non-stop smear campaign against Obama since early 2008 all while refusing to provide any new or realistic ideas of their own.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Seriously, the Tea Party/GOP by and large acts like children who've never grown up.

Guinastasia and Valairy Scot like this.
  12. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    I mentioned this before but my favorite was Jeb Bush complaining about Obama using negative attack ads. Aka a man directly related to two individuals whose presidential campaigns are synonymous with two of the most underhand negative attack ads in television history.

Additionally, has anyone yet mentioned all the petitions that individuals have put on the White House's website asking for permission to leave the Union? What a clear sign of their patriotism and love of America.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Maybe they'll just self-deport.

14. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    They want the government to allow (insert state here) leave the Union, and become its own nation. The Texas one already has enough signatures that the administration is pledged to address their question.

15. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Louisiana now as well. I want this counter petition http://wh.gov/9Fcg to gain enough traction to start mocking this in a more public fashion.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I would like to see the economic catastrophe that a Southern state would experience if it left the union. For one thing, a good chunk of the population who could would probably choose to emigrate-- especially minorities, because I'm not sure they would want to stick around to see what the South would do if it were completely unrestrained by the Federal government and courts.

We might get to see the last part anyway if the SC decides the Voting Rights Act is "irrelevant" now. Ugh.

17. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    If we allow Texas or any other state leave we should demand they take part of the National Debt. I think at most because of their accountability for the Bush years that Texas should have to shoulder around 5 trillion and we could divide up the rest of the debt among the other leaving red states.

Edit: Additionally, now that Petraeus is in need of a new job Obama could reinstate him as a general and allow him to go all Sherman.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    If he can tear himself away from his sex life, that is. Priorities.

19. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    The states that have this have a huge range. I'm waiting to see if California reaches the needed 25k or not. Colorado, Michigan, and Indiana are all past 10k, and New York's just about to cross that point.

20. BootlegVader

Aug 3, 2004
    I do like how a number of signatures of coming largely from non-natives in regards to some states.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  21. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Hey, these states are just trying to relieve Scotland of the "most ill-advised independence movement" crown.

MrZAP, Ulicus and darthhelinith like this.
  22. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Really wish Jackson had let South Carolina leave when they threatened the first time.

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  25. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    My dad, aunts and uncles are all Boomers, and they all voted for Obama. (My mother, despite my nagging, still has yet to register to vote). My dad probably hasn't voted for a Republican in his life.