main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No, I've only played through the Imperial Side and even then lacking Bounty Hunter but I'm happy to do Jedi Consular since I *DO* want to eventually do everything.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
  3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Man, that makes my story relatively tame.

That the Imperial Agent, Sith Acolyte, and Sith Warrior are all the same guy!

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll probably do F2P. I want to finish the stories, and I don't care much about special lute -- I already have my Nute Gunray hat on my Jedi Consular just waiting for me to hit level 50, and that's all that matters.

Besides, I need something to do when I'm on my inferior computer over Thanksgiving...

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I have to say after the research I did in that conversation, I found Satele Shan is a quite interesting character.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think if you want to play a Dark Side Consular the story sucks.

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    zuh? Why would I want to play dark side?

I'm always about the good guys.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I tried to play a dark diplomat and could not take the JC story. My IA and SW are neutral, SI is mostly dark(but didn't kill too much) and BH is mostly light.

9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    My brother tried a dark side Jedi Knight for laughs, and it turns out quite unbelievable. Or at least, I couldn't buy that the Jedi Order's star pupil's tendencies to be such a jerk wasn't addressed when he was a kid.

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Is "dark = jerk" pretty much the case across the board, whatever class you're playing?

I keep hearing people saying that's the case, which is leaning me toward a light side Sith, and a goody goody Jedi. I originally was thinking of a dark Jedi to see what dynamic it involved as while there has been a lot lf talk about light Sith, I've heard little about dark Jedi...

But if "dark" just means an Anakin Skywalker type jackass, then I think I'll pass and stick to a loyal/neutral character.

11. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd say it depends. I'm playing a largely dark (though in practice, neutral) Imperial agent, and while some of the more generic quests tend to be the "dark=jerk" category, I find almost all of the class quests tend to be "dark= do the job to the utmost efficiency", where light involves sticking your neck out for the little guy . If it gives you an idea, my agent tends to go dark side for the main quests, and light side for the side quests, and that's not intentional.

I love playing a dark side Agent. They don't come off as stupidly evil, but rather, very cold. They approach their work with their full attention but never with passion. They'll opt to kill more often, true, but generally only to eliminate loose ends. I will admit, however, there would probably be something equally fun about playing the naive but good hearted Agent, who's largely a good person working for the wrong people, but I feel like the dark Agent fully knows what they're doing. I also enjoy playing my Agent as someone who really distrusts the Sith; standing up to Darth Jadus is quite satisfying, even if it doesn't end well at the moment.

My agent is definitely closer to a Jason Bourne than a James Bond. Or maybe closer to a Daniel Craig Bond than a Roger Moore Bond :p

12. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Not really. For the Imperial and Sith classes, at least, there are a lot of perfectly reasonable dark side options. For the Bounty Hunter, in particular, the dark side option usually means adhering to the terms of the contract, while the light side option requires breaking your contract or betraying your employers.

13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Darkside and Lightside are weird in this game, For consulars and jedi you have to stretch your imagination to pull of a DS jedi. Both my knight and Cosnular rack up alot of DS points as they engage in relationships. But its counterbalanced by trying not to goad the empire into premature war in the flashpoints, and being generaly friendly.

DS and LS for Troopers is really Paragon and Renagade in diffrent colors.

DS and LS for Smuggler is really a true Criminal vs a Rogue with the heart if gold.

Empire

Sith is usually you are a conquering villian, it breaks down to whether you are the Joker (from the Dark Night) ie total nut or Ernst Stavros Blowfeld ie villia with a code (keep your word, limit puppy kicking, negotiate)

Bounty Hunter, DS just goes around killing for fun and just getting paid for it, LS is usuing your Judgement. I froze one clients daughter (a Sith) figuring out he would probably reget having her killed because her master was a political rogue. Just cause I am for higher dosent mean i am your shutta.

LS and DS is like Trooper Paragon and Renagade from Mass Effect.

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Dark Side Imperial Agent is a subversion I felt. The Dark Side version can come off as a very cold, very ruthless but very practical guy who you totally believe in.

Then he murders billions ala Grand Moff Tarkin, something no Sith gets to do.

15. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I actually haven't gotten that far in the Agent story. Interesting. I do know that
    the Agent can defect if you follow the light side path
    so maybe that will be a face heel turn for my character. I'll have to see it in context.

I definitely feel the Agent voice actor (the female one at least, couldn't resist choosing Hawke) does a fantastic job in not ever putting any sort of pleasure into the evil actions. That way, it doesn't at all feel out of character when I'm fairly polite to people in general.

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Light Side Sith is ok, not that weird compare to Dark Side JC.

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2012/11/star-wars-old-republic-sith-warrior.html

Okay, I'll be starting the Consular next. I'll be posting my reviews of the stories I've already completed, however first. I'm fond of the Male Imperial Voice actor as well. While I chose to play a Cyborg, I've got to say that I've seen some videos of "alien" Imperial Agents (Rattataki specifically) that makes a good case for poignancy at being a guy serving the Empire that normally gets overlooked.

I was offered the chance to defect back to the Republic after sparing the head of Republic SIS - which was out-of-character but my character had just found out the Sith Council had been brainwashing him. You don't join the Republic officially but are meant to be a Double Agent in Sith Intelligence. As a result, I couldn't do it because I'd be betraying people like Watcher-Two (who my character romanced) and my crew.

Besides, using the Black Codex to become the Shadow Broker was much more pleasing.

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What? You didn't kill them after they used the code to treat you like that?

I just regret so much that I chose to fight Jadus and forced him to escape, I REALLY SHOULD JOIN HIM.

19. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Personal revenge is a sucker's game as far as my Imperial Agent is concerned. Really, the Jedi Master won my respect because he was EXACTLY RIGHT to suspect I was a reverse-mole. The others were severe temptations to kill but I had bigger fish to fry. It was a pity that I didn't get to kill Lord Jadus, though. No matter what, unless you're a Dark Sider, he escapes.

Whatever the case, as tempting as joining Lord Jadus is, it's still nothing more than being a Sith Lord's lackey. I feel for the rest of Imperial Intelligence, though, because they're all divided up as cannon fodder for the Sith and foot-soldiers. I like to think they lucked out and ended up serving Lord Tremor, however.

Oh and for those who didn't want to read my blog, here's my Sith Warrior review:

What did I think of the Sith Warrior Class Storyline?

I am Darth Tremor.
    Darth Tremor is the cyborg son of an Imperial noble bloodline. He never had much use for the Force or the Empire's aristocracy. Instead, he went on to be a loyal soldier of the Empire (sometimes I speculate he might actually be my Imperial agent) only to find himself drafted to the Sith Academy when it was discovered he had high force-potential.

[​IMG]
    What's surprising is this guy is actually almost reasonable for much of the game.​
    Darth Tremor was a surprisingly nice fellow for a Sith Lord. Well, not really, but if you don't randomly kill subordinates and only inflict pain on the deserving you're considered to be a saint in the Empire. Darth Tremor was a brainaic who always felt under-appreciated by the Sith and ultimately decided that the Dark Council had to go. Later, he became fascinated by the Light Side and Darth Revan, which made his confrontation with the latter idol all the more painful.

Ahem.

Okay, that was pretentious.

To be a Sith Warrior is to be able to be Darth Vader, not dinky Prequel Anakin Skywalker but a Dark Lord with all the potential power that implies. The Sith Warrior isn't just a mindless brute, much like his movie namesake, he spends most of his time involving himself in the politics of the Galactic Empire. It's even thematically appropriate for the budding Dark Lord of the Sith to take the Gordian Knot approach to the majority of his problems. Your Sith master has a number of enemies, what do you do with them?

Well, you go out and kill them, obviously.

[​IMG]
    Dark Side Jaesa was tempting despite my Lightsidedness. Why? She's feisty like my wife.​

The best part of the Sith Warrior's journey is the characters he deals with. They are vibrant and nuanced in ways you wouldn't expect in Star Wars. You have the option to either corrupt a Jedi Knight into a full-blown monster or turn them into a Light Side Sith like yourself. You can keep a Twilek slave as your abused chew toy or you can free her and develop an unusual friendship.

You can even have your own version of Admiral Piett in Quinn, the poor dutiful Imperial who just happens to be saddled next to a juggernaut of destruction. The other characters didn't make as much an impression on me but I deeply enjoyed them anyway. I was especially fond of your Sith Lord mentor, Darth Baras, who is what would happened if Darth Sidious was played by Marlon Brando. Some of the best moments in the game are when he's calling your character out for growing up with a silver-spoon in his mouth.

The Sith Warrior is definitely of above-average story and I enjoy the sense of being born into the Sith nobility. It made my role-playing of a Light Side Sith all the more poignant as I had to deal with a system designed to personally benefit me but which was obviously dysfunctional with anyone with half a brain. The fact you have no choice but to climb to the very top of the ladder, eventually becoming the Emperor's second-in-command.

Unlike the Sith Inquisitor's storyline, the infighting amongst the Sith didn't feel gratuitous. Treachery is the way of the Sith but as a Sith Warrior, I felt like I was mostly dealing with normal levels of infighting in a monarchical society (which is to say, still a lot) and primarily concerned with the Republic. There were some good missions setting me against the Jedi Order and their government. Plus, you don't have to just kill your enemies in this game. One mission had the option of assassinating a powerful Sith Lord only to have an agent of yours impersonate him after death.

[​IMG]
    Character customization is quite good. I admit, though, I generally let Vette and Jaesa wear something more modest.
    My favorite character interactions in the game are a toss-up between Jaesa Wilsaam and Vette. Jaesa Wilsaam is a Jedi Knight fed up with the hypocrisy of the order, only to find herself surrounded by the sharks of the Sith. Vette, on the other hand, is a spunky adult-version of KOTOR's Mission Vao, who may or may not be stuck with the nicest Sith in the galaxy. Both of them are awesome. It was genuinely difficult for me to choose which of the two of to romance. Ultimately, I chose Jaesa but I like to think Vette stuck around anyway.

What really worked for me in the Sith Warrior's quest storyline, however, was the genuine poignancy some of the missions had. I would never have expected this from the Sith Warrior of all things but there were some genuine touching moments in the story. Perhaps my favorite was when poor Jaesa wanted to meet with some fellow Light-Side Sith only to have it go horribly wrong. If I had to replay any of the games I'd played so far, it'd be the Sith Warrior.

However, how does it play? I think it does extremely well has a great ease of utility. It's easy to simply slice your way through literally thousands of monsters and I found it superior to the Sith Inquisitor. My only regret was there was more focus on shocking Vette than executing idiots with force choke.

Though I could do that too.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    It's not just personal revenge, you were sent by the new keeper to annihilate them and get the shadow arsenal for the empire. You failed your duty, that's the real sucker as agent. Yes he's right, so you should kill him since he's a dangerous enemy, that's how you show your respect to him. I don't know what's wrong with you.

Jadus is evil but other Sith are simply much worse than him.

SW's story is much better written than SI, but still, the end should be about kill some Jedi master rather than powerplay and kill master, that should end in Chapter 2.

21. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Interesting to hear Sith Warrior's story is stronger than Sith Inquisitor, as from the basic overviews I was feeling that SI would be the more interesting one to play.

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I haven't played the entire thing, but comparing the first twenty levels for each, I wouldn't necessarily agree.

Though I do think they should've been merged from the beginning, anyways. Combine the best elements of both, and you might actually have a genuinely remarkable game.

23. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, I still wish they'd made the fourth class something that was neither Force-user nor not, but some sort of "Force lite" class like a mildly-sensitive Imperial assassin or something.

Kir Kanos basically.

24. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    like the matukai?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Matukai

25. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Pretty much yeah. I always thought Echani could have been a cool Republic class, modelled on Handmaiden, but never training to become a Jedi. It'd have opened an extra dimension of characters in both factions questioning whether or not the Force should be in the hands of the Jedi alone, pointing at the Sith as reason to be more open to other ideas, etc.

On the Imperial side, a group like the Matukaki could have been slaves, but you'd have had to chose between accepting that second class status for not following the Sith Code, or challenging the system and proclaiming your way of wielding the dark side as superior. It'd have been a totally different feel in contrast to the way the SW and SI are both still ultimately just Sith Lords.