main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Temple of doom anyone elses favorite indy movie?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Jason79, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I know you are all gonna think I'm nuts but I honestly liked this one the best. It was the first one I saw as a kid and it felt the most fun to me. It's got short round, a bad guy that rips peoples hearts out with his bare hands and a mine cart chase at the end. It was very dark in some parts but hillarious in others.
    Willie screaming at everything got annoying I'll admit but that scene in the spike trap room was too funny. She's freakin out and Indy's like...we are going to DIE! That kills me everytime.[face_laugh]

So anyway yeah Temple of Doom is my favorite. Oh and big shocker Crystal skull is my second favorite. The one's with the Nazi's used to bore me but I eventually warmed up to them.

2. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    For me it's Raiders, Last Crusade, Temple of Doom, and Crystal Skull... but I love them all.

ToD was my first Indy film too. My sister's friend let me borrow her VHS that she recorded it off HBO. I used to watch it almost every Friday after school(that or Empire, that I taped off tv).

Before I understood Lucas created Indy, I always wondered why the nightclub was named after a Star Wars character, lol.

3. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I think that the Temple of Doom is pretty kick ass. I'll agree with you it has something for everyone. However, if you were to talk to Steven Spielberg he would tell you that he hates that movie. I don't know why... He met his future wife Cate Capshaw on that movie. I like everything about that movie. I really thought that Ula Raam was awesome at removing peoples hearts and lowering them into the lava pit. Movie kicks ass, RAWK ON!!!

4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Unequivocally 'yes'. I absolutely love Temple of Doom. Here's how I rank the films in order from favorite to least favorite:
    1) Temple of Doom
    2) Last Crusade
    3 Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
    4) Raiders of the Lost Ark

Note: This isn't to say that any one of the films is worse than any other.

Regarding the reasons why Spielberg isn't particularly fond of Temple of Doom, he's gone on record stating that he felt that the darker direction in tone didn't particularly work and that the film ended up morphing into something other than what he wanted it to be because they went a lot darker than they were intending.

5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's my favorite as well. By far the most fun of all the Indy films.

6. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    I like them most in the same order that they were released, but I like Temple a lot. I think it's a far cry from Raiders, but it's pretty good.

7. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    No, it's not my favourite but I do like Doom. I used to watch it every Saturday morning. I enjoyed that it was different to Raiders. Although I didn't get it is as a kid that it was a prequel. One of my all time favourite lines- "We are going to die?"

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  8. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    It was definitely my favorite while growing up. If there was any desire to watch an Indy film, it would always be Doom. Now that I'm older, I appreciate Raiders a lot more than I did, but I still have a soft spot for Doom. In fact, it is still the first one I always grab when I feel like watching some Indy.

And I will say this - I think the score from this film is still one of the best from John Williams. If I had to pick a favorite movie score, this would be it, hands down.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  9. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    EVERY WEEK?
    Have you heard of the guy who on a dare watched the Transformers movie every day for a year?

10. StarWarrior92

StarWarrior92 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 7, 2011
    Temple of Doom is my favorite Indy film as well. It's a heck of a fun roller coaster ride.

11. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Temple was my favourite Indy movie for all of my childhood but I embraced Last Crusade as my favourite during my teenage life because I grew to appreciate the Ford/Connery chemistry a lot more. Temple of Doom was my favourite because of the tone and action packed feel, but as I matured I found there was a certain character it lacked. As it stands, i'd say Temple Of Doom is my second favourite.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    ^
    That's kind of the opposite of me. As a kid The Last Crusade was by far my favorite because it felt like the most epic of all three. As an older viewer I still love that one, but now it's precisely because Temple of Doom is primarily about pulpy fun that it's my favorite. I guess I was able to find a great epic fix elsewhere, but in terms of pure, blazing action far fewer films have managed to keep up with Temple of Doom.

13. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting :) As a child I found that Last Crusade was too downbeat and "light" because it lacked the shock value of Temple with the gross out humour at the banquet, the sacrificial heart ripping scene, the grittiness of the slavery etc...Last Crusade just didn't feel "dangerous" so back then I felt the adventure was less significant. I was exactly the same when it came to the Star Wars trilogy where I never understood why so many people adored Empire Strikes Back the way they did because, once again, unlike Hope or Jedi, it lacked the grandiosity of the epic space battles and gun fights by focusing more on the nuances of the characters and their settings.

But, of course, as i've grown older to appreciate story and character more, Empire is my favourite Star Wars film. In short, it's basically the same as realising that there's more to The Godfather than memorable quotes and good shooting scenes.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The movie was awesome

15. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Raiders is my favorite, followed by Temple of Doom, Last Crusade (which is overrated IMO), and Crystal Skull.

16. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Last Crusade is the best, IMO. Temple of Doom is watchable, but ranks 3rd out of the four movies

17. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I love Doom, and thought I was alone. It's probably the movie I've seen the most out of all of them.

1. Raiders
    2. Doom
    3. Crusade in a very, very distant third. (Too much of a little kid movie for my tastes.)
    ...walked out of Skull, though a friend of mine who was very stoned while watching it said that if you pretend Indy has a brain injury and doesn't know what's going on for the entire movie, it greatly improves the experience. May try that sometime.

18. Iefan

Iefan Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 31, 2013
    My favorite is Crusade but I don't think that Temple needs to be getting the hate it has been getting. It's a solid film. I couldn't imagine not having Doom on list of favorites.

19. Neonic

Neonic Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2013
    It's my favorite as well. Only until the internet did I learn of the status it had amongst fans.

20. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Doom was my fave as a kid but now it's second to Raiders

21. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Raiders, for me...Doom is honestly the one I'd probably watch last out of all four; just not a fun time at all.

22. ShabbaTheHutt

ShabbaTheHutt Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2013
    Never really took to Crusade, probably because, as with Raiders, I find the religious element distasteful.

Temple Of Doom is definitely the best as a stand-alone movie ...... heck I didn't even realise for years that it's a prequel, what with events taking place about 6 months before Raiders.

I took my son to see Crystal Skull at the cinema ....... honestly, the only film Shia LeBeef couldn't spoil is Lawless.

23. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    I have a huge professionally framed Temple of Doom poster that was sent out to Star Wars fan club members on my bedroom wall with action figures framed around that. Indy protects me at night from the monsters. [face_love]

However, Raiders opened on my birthday and it was incredibly exciting and I think it still tops the list. I like Temple of Doom, but I am not into whiny blondes or Short Round [sorry, the kid didn't need to be there for me.] So balanced with Harrison Ford, I have to keep it 2nd. Then Crusade which made me like Sean Connery. Then a very distant Crystal Skull which I refuse to buy. I can overlook a lot of the silliness in that movie but I cannot overlook that Shia irritates me in a way that even Jar Jar doesn't.

24. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    For a time, before Kingdom overtook it. While I'm extremely affectionate towards all the Indy films I now hold Raiders and Kingdom in a slightly higher strata based on their sheer visual complexity. Slocombe's photography in Doom is brilliant however and the relative suffering that Lucas and Spielberg were experiencing at the time makes it something of a unique artifact. Kinetically it's some of Spielberg's best work, somewhere between the vaudevillian whimsy of Hook and the serial brutality of Raiders - the self-strangulated Thuggee, hanging impossibly from the ceiling fan, sums up both these seemingly irreconcilable qualities in a single image. The climax is one of the most distressing and exciting sequences in the entire Lucas-Spielberg canon. Much love.

25. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Temple of Doom was my favorite as a kid growing up because it was the only Indy movie I had on VHS. I used to literally watch it all the time. Now that i'm older Raiders is definitely my favorite. I still enjoy all the movies but Raiders is the best for me.