main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Could Mortis have something to do with Episode 7

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by the-jedi-prince, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    The sheer inconsistancy of the Mortis story/plot line with the Clone Wars arc is slightly suspicious IMHO - why that and not more of the Clone Wars themselves, unless it was to set up for later development.

2. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    because it was something lucas wanted to do. Not everything is a lead up to something else.

3. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I do think it lends some credence to the possibility though. People label Lucas to much as a guy who changes his mind all the time, and just does what he wants. I think he thinks things out a whole lot more than fans today are willing to admit. Is it a guarantee Mortis will be part of the story? No. Do I think it is possible? Very much so, and I am even hoping for it. I'm ready to get back into more of the mystical nature of the force, and the mystery to it. I think Mortis is a really good possibility for doing that.

4. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I just rewatched the whole Mortis arc. While I could have lived with neither of them, I like that arc infinitely more as an explanation of the forrce than the whole midichlorioan buisness.The Mortis story had a conclusion , Anakin did not stay to hold the balance, so the Mortis family had to die, which led to Anakin falling to the Dark Side causing lots of deaths and suffering before restoring balance in his own sacrificial death. I can't see Mortis having any importance for the ST.

5. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    *reads the wiki articles on Mortis and The Ones*

Uh god, no! I need an Aleve after read all of that.

I understand some people may like it, and the planet itself I can deal with, but the rest sounds like that stupid final Highlander movie.

6. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    It amuses me when people who barely acquaint themselves with the material emphatically toss it in the trash saying it could never work.

7. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Maybe it actually worked in the cartoon, but I was getting a headache just reading about it. The question to ask though is how the audience would react to this kind of villain versus actual material beings like Sith or assassing droids?

8. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    A material villain could still very easily develop through that kind of storyline.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Neither are actual explanations of the Force. The explanation of the Force appears in ANH/TESB. Midichlorians explain Force sensitivity, not the Force. The Mortis arc describes beings who may have the power to affect the Force and also serve as metaphors for the sides of the Force.

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  10. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I won't mind seeing Dark Side users; but whoever the antagonists are, they'd better have some strong, identifiable, emotionally driven motivations. Something as abstract as "an aspect of the Force with a personality" would be a fumble, imo. This movie needs a strong emotional through-line.

11. darksideyesplease

darksideyesplease Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2005
    I don't know about all this. Just about everything in Clone Wars feels like it's just fanboi heaven. Here, let's give Maul a brother, that's cool. Here let's just bring Maul back. Yeah!

Here lets show the Vader helmet but then make Anakin forget he saw it and what happens... Oh, there's Liam Neisson.

None of that feels like a Star Wars movie, not even anything out of the PT. Doesn't even feel like stuff they would write in the books.

I'm not saying I want a tamed down movie, I love the Force but I don't want it to jump the shark either.

I'm not saying these arguments that it could be in are not cool points you are making, just stating it feels like way too out there to me.

12. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I agree and disagree with almost every other post, thing is whether the scribes choose to use Mortis or not there is rich ground to tap into with Mortis. Whether in EU or otherwise.

Clone Wars is the greatest animated cartoon of all time. So what Maul came back? We watched it and loved it. And remember too, GL had the say with many of TCW episodes but especially Mortis...I'm blind though, George can do no wrong to me..

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  13. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    There's nothing "fanboi" about TCW. It's minutia and arcana, sometimes, but listen to Dave Filoni talk about the series, he really understands what makes SW tick. Some of the more abstract episodes extend into the surreal, but the knee-jerk fanboy rejection of those episodes pretty much marks them as the opposite of "fan service".

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  14. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005
    Please, God no... don't make me.

Seriously, I've tried on 3 separate occasions to get into TCW by watching multiple episodes. I really, really tried. It just doesn't hold my attention from arc to arc.

If the entire series was about R2 getting into trouble and killing other droids and blowing up monsters in unique ways and then outrunning Boba Fett and making him look like the tool he is, then I'd probably own every season on Blu-Ray. As it isn't...

15. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Your loss.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    ^ This.

On the other hand, there is simply no satisfying the fans.
    If you give them something new, they'll whine about it "not being Star Wars enough" and yelling at kicking and screaming about *gasp* ...introducing a new thing?! How dare they! Status quo for ever!
    If you give them something old, they'll whine about it "being seen a billion times" and yelling and kicking and screaming about *gasp* ...Star Wars using Star Wars material?!
    If you give them a new approach on something old, then you get a real nice cluster****.

I like TCW very much, and over the years the show has made considerable progress and grown. I don't like every episode, but on the other hand maybe I'm not supposed to. It targets multiple audience groups and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

17. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

Again, I've watched the entire first season and much of the 2nd with a little bit of the 3rd and 4th sprinkled in. How is it my loss if I don't find it entertaining? Should I suffer through it just to show I watched something with the Star Wars name on it? Jesus...

18. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Ha ha, chill out! :)
    It's just a saying, like "You'll never believe this!" It wasn't meant literally :p

19. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

I complained about Maul because I think it really craps on Obi-Wan Kenobi's accomplishment of killing a Sith. I just think it undermines his character so that you can have Maul comeback. Obviously they thought people would want to see that but I don't know where they get their information.

The other stuff I can live with but when Maul came back, it's just like whatever. Why should i invest a time in a show that has no respect for anything. If Maul can come back, what won't they do. I don't know what can kill beings in this galaxy and what can't now. Common sense, nope, you'll just have to wait 12 years and see if we don't bring this guy back in some form or another to be sure.

The whole Maul thing just feels like they are insulting fans intelligence with it and I just can't get on board with trash like that.

20. darksideyesplease

Feb 12, 2005

I've seen your posts in all the other threads, I just know your motive. If someone doesn't agree with you, you like to insult them by making them feel inferior, like they are missing out on something. About what Star Wars is truly about, it's some secret that only you and a few others really know about and somehow you are laughing at everyone else.

It's just a bit rude, imo. But do whatever you want. Just don't do it to me.

Peace.

21. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Uh, either you've got me mistaken with someone else or you don't get my sense of humor.

22. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Things can easily get misunderstood on the internet. People need to be careful not to read a tone into a comment that was never intended. Seek clarification before making assumptions is my motto.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I really enjoyed TCW the first couple of seasons, but since then, the constant unsubtle references to Ahsoka being the greatest Padawan ever (the only one who can understand Chewie? Seriously?), Mortis and the resurrection of Maul ruined it for me.

24. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I actually hope for the Mortis, Dagger, Abeloth, etc for this sequel trilogy with Ben, Jaina, Jag (Luke, Leia, Han next-gens) with cameos from Hamill, Fisher, and Ford and a whole Post-FOTJ and maybe seeing grandkids. OR possibly this new Sword of the Jedi trilogy is actually gonna be based on the Sequel trilogy. Sorry my ADD kicked in. Let me stop myself here.

25. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Actually you know, this might be the best clue we have to date. A book set sometime after 45 ABY, with the "next-generation" of Jedi, which will be released 1 year before Ep7. And it's a trilogy.
    I'm not saying that the plot will be the same as the movie itself, just that there might be some connection between the books and the movies (main characters, names, locations, events etc)
    Hm, hm, hm...

mes520 likes this.