main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I wasn't deriding Lanter's portrayal at all; I just think it would've been neat if he'd tried to approximate Hayden's voice a bit more closely the way some of the other TCW actors have with their respective roles.

There IS enough of Hayden in Lanter's performance to 'link' things in with AotC and RotS, but I think it would've been neat if the differences were a little bit more subtle the way they are with other characters in the series.

2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    :eek: *hides under desk*

3. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Lanter is not playing Anakin. Lanter is playing himself with no effort what so ever.

4. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    I'd still pick Matt over Hayden. ;)

Valairy Scot and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Totally not to mention Lanter is hot. <<;

cwustudent and SenatorKelberry like this.
  6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hayden >>> Lanter, IMO, Hayden is the best Anakin and he should voiced him in TCW

7. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    Matt Lanter all the way. His version is actually cool and relatable. Also, I think Matt Lanter is a much better actor.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its actually tough to listen to Hayden because Lanter's Anakin sounds so much stronger and burns with passion. I can't imagine how much duller scenes would have sounded in the Rako Hardeen arc.

9. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    My comments shouldn't be used as an excuse to turn this into a 'Hayden vs. Lanter' argument; both Anakin actors have their strengths and their weaknesses, and I like the portrayals of both filmic Anakin and TCW Anakin. I only made the comments I did because, in a series where a number of the other voice actors - both for main characters and supporting characters - have made an effort to approximate the voices of the actors they replaced as seamlessly as possible, it would've been neat to see Lanter have followed suit by making his Anakin sound closer to Hayden's Anakin than he does; there are definite similarities, but the differences in his Anakin and Hayden's Anakin in terms of their voices aren't quite as subtle as I think they could've been.

I understand wanting to make the character your own, and am fine with that, which is why I say it would've been neat to see rather than saying that this is what should've happened. It doesn't detract from my enjoyment of the series in any way, nor does it mean that I dislike Lanter's portrayal or prefer Hayden to him. I just think it would've been interesting and neat to see Lanter try to approximate Hayden's voice more closely.

10. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Passion is a strong word. Overreacting and overacting are the right terms.

11. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Matt Lanter doesn't sound like he is.... like well you know... like Hayden

"I am Anakin Skywalker. I am a drone. I am on drugs. You underestimate my power."

12. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    [face_laugh] Agreed.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sean Sebastian FTW!

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  15. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Cool video although I can't say In the End I like this song choice for Rex. I hope it matters. =b

16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Yea, every tribute for him on youtube has bad quality

17. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I'm sort of using this thread as a comment base for my thoughts as I watch my way through the series, so I hope that's okay. I just finished 'Bombad Jedi', and have to say that, of the episodes I've seen thus far, it might just be my favorite. I've always been a fan of the character of Jar Jar and was a bit disappointed by his greatly diminished presence in AotC and RotS, so it was great to see him have a prominent role here. Slapstick physical comedy happens to be my favorite brand of humor, so getting to see Jar Jar engage in the kinds of antics that made me such a fan of him in the first place was great. The confusion over whether or not he was a Jedi was priceless and made for a great story, and his befriending that sea creature was the perfect way to have him save the day in the end.

I sort of talked about this earlier, but I really like the voice cast for the series, and am especially impressed with the following actors: Ian Abercrombie; Tom Kane; Catherine Taber; James Arnold Taylor; Dee Bradley Baker; Phil LaMarr; Corey Burton, and Tom Kenny; they've managed to near-flawlessly channel the actors they replaced in their respective roles - Ian McDiarmid (Abercrombie); Frank Oz (Kane); Natalie Portman (Taber); Ewan McGregor (Taylor); Temeura Morrison (Baker); Jimmy Smitts (LaMarr); Christopher Lee (Burton); and Silas Carson (Kenny) - which, as I noted earlier, makes me wish that their colleague Matt Lanter had put more of Hayden Christensen's inflection and 'voice' into his portrayal of Anakin.

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Jango_Fett21

Please continue to post these thoughts. I'm enjoying reading your posts. Its refreshing to read the comments of someone new to the series making their way through it. Glad you liked 'Bombad Jedi'.

19. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    The other day I watched Hunchback of Notre Damn on Disney XD. First time seeing it, very underrated film but thats besides the point. What I wanted to say is have any of you SEEN the shows on this channel?? The animation for the couple I saw looked absolutely horrendous. My seven year old nephew can draw better than them. They are meant for little kids but still! I ugh-ed about the possibility of TCW being show there and got a swift elbow to the ribs for wining about it too much.

20. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've been meaning to try and watch more shows on that channel. I've only caught Gargoyles reruns on it a few times. I keep procrastinating about that. <<;

21. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Maybe it was the time slot, around 2pm on sunday, but all the shows they showed commercials for were aimed at 4 year olds....

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Well... lets see what is on now. Stay tuned.

Edit: I'm going to watch an hour of this channel and put comments on my profile wall.

23. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    I just finished Cloak of Darkness and Lair of Grievous. Some thoughts on each:
    - Cloak of Darkness -
    I really like the pairing of Ahsoka and Luminara Unduli; it's nice to see Ahsoka interacting with other members of the Jedi Order besides Anakin and Obi-Wan. Gunray's escape was kind of predictable given his presence in Revenge of the Sith, but, predictable or not, I liked that we got to see it rather than simply having it happen off-screen. Dooku getting to that Senate guardsman (whose name I can't remember at the moment) was a nice way to once again demonstrate his (Dooku's) ability to manipulate people, although it did kind of suck that he got offed by Ventress.

Speaking of Ventress, I really like her; she's the perfect foil for Dooku and makes an excellent antagonist for the Jedi. I also like that her presence in things lets the series explore the Master/Apprentice relationship from a Sith POV as well as from the POV of the Jedi, which is something we've never really had a chance to see in on-screen canon before.

- Lair of Grievous -
    I liked this episode a lot, although I think it's one of those stories where your appreciation of it is directly affected by whether or not you can accept that it completely ruins a few things for Revenge of the Sith. It is both neat and a bit saddening that we see Grievous fight as much as he does in this episode, especially with the four lightsabers he has, because while on the one hand it enhances his character, it also sort of ruins the significance of his fight with Obi-Wan in RotS when he breaks out the four sabers and holds his own for a while before Obi-Wan takes him down.

I really like the character of Kit Fisto; his voice is a neat change of pace from what you'd probably expect an alien character to sound like; I also liked his fighting style and demeanor, as it's nice to see a Jedi who's more of a defender than an attacker and who is truly representative of what the 'ideal' Jedi ought to be.

I also liked the relationship between him and his former Padawan, and was sad to see the latter killed, as he would've been a neat recurring character.

One final thought: Dooku is one slimy bastard (pardon my cursing); it makes perfect sense that he'd set up his own ally Grievous simply to test his worthiness, and also gives him something in common with his own master, Sidious, who ends up doing the exact same thing to him at the beginning of RotS, albeit with much different results.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I've also liked Jar Jar in his appearances in TCW. You may also like him in Supply Lines from Season 3 and Shadow Warrior in Season 4.

25. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ I've already seen Supply Lines since I'm watching the series in chronological order as recommended by Leland Chee, but Jar Jar's role in that episode is more in line with his role in AotC and he's very much a background character in it, which isn't the case with Bombad Jedi, where we not only get to see him in a prominent role again, but also behave much as he does in The Phantom Menace, which I liked.