main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate I Want to Believe-The Senate's Social Thread and Secret Society Roundtable

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Mr44, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Very nice, Vivec.

Bulova is owned by Citizen, right? (Omega's parent is Swatch, for example).

Lord Vivec likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You use your phone for the time? :p

I usually wear shirts from either Herringbone (the Australian brand, not the weave) or Thomas Pink. My ties are usually Hardy Aimes, Herringbone, Polo Ralph Lauren or Rhodes & Beckett - I wouldn't spend more than $200 on one.

Go Megadeth!

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah it is, Ender.

You can see some of the mechanical workings from the back of the watch, which is really cool for physics nut like myself.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
  5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    Hey, that watch has a tacky meter!

I concur with Hoth's assessment of watches. Always felt like a wages slave whenever I wore one. And if you gotta wear one, I prefer it modest; a big chunk of gleaming metal on a wrist sticks out like Rudolph's red nose.

Megadeth T-shirts, without failing, are ugly as hell but the power and the glory they convey is unparallelled.

I have my own office. So I'll wear this.

[​IMG]

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I would never wear a gold watch, or a gold/diamond encrusted type one. I think what I have though looks good with casual or dressed up attire.

Ahem...

[​IMG]

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Sure it looks nice, but at the end of the day it does what any cheap watch can do. Certain status symbols/luxury items I understand (cars for example), but a watch (clothes too)? Meh.

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I haven't worn a watch in a decade. My phone tells time and even keeps track of what time zone I'm in, so I don't have to, which is good, because it can get confusing.

DarthTunick likes this.
  9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I’m more of a pocket-watch kinda guy, myself. Of course, my dream watch would be a pocket watch casing that holds a super high-tech digital device that tells time simultaneously inNew York,Paris,London, and Staad :p

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

I ditched wearing a watch when I got my first cell phone (January of 2006)... haven't missed it at all.

11. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I used to have a Seiko Kinetic that I loved, but I sadly lost it a long time ago. That is, I left it somewhere and when I remembered and went back, it was gone. :(

This is the one. Maybe he is the bastard who found it. :p

Then I bought a Citizen Eco Drive. It runs on light, which is neat. And that's this one.

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    I bought a Swatch watch a couple of years ago because I wanted a pretty watch to wear to parties. One day, on the way to the lab at the hospital, I tripped on a piece of plywood, (Yes it had pretty orange cones around it, but I misjudged the distance) and broke the watch. Tried to get it fixed, but it was too expensive. $75 to get it fixed, it only cost $80.

So, I got my sport watch fixed and I wear it all the time. I hate using my cell phone to tell time. I never get confused about which time zone I'm in. Or what day it is. My sport watch kinda looks like a guy's watch, but it's a Timex and it keeps on ticking. It's shock-proof and water resistant and it's five or more years old.

My son got a fancy diver's watch, even tho he's not a scuba diver.

I don't wear clothes or shoes or watches that are status symbols. Just not who I am.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    OK, but... there's a certain "pride in your appearance" factor which kicks in here. Nice doesn't always equal expensive, mind you (UK brand Ben Sherman make some really nice clothes but they're hardly elite). There's a guy at my work who clearly wants to create the impression he's come from money, but he hasn't. So he wears the biggest TAG Carrera he can find, and dresses like he's in a Polo catalogue. Thumb through the online Ralph Lauren catalogue and you'll see what I mean - it looks fake. Nobody dresses that way; the models (who can easily be confused with mannequins on many levels :p) are wearing these clothes to showcase the range.

So, to be clear, are we talking about brands for brands sake, or simply nice, sophisticated looking ensembles?

14. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Ah, Ender, most young conservatives in my country actually do dress that way.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Ever since I got a cell phone over a decade ago I never needed to sport a watch of any sort.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ugh.

It's so bland and derivative. Not that combat boots and cargo pants and a torn Darkthrone t-shirt isn't either, but you can dress well without looking like a blithering idiot.

17. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I think 90% of the people just has bad taste and do not know what 'well-dressed' actually means.

aaaand we're back to Senate level posting!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  18. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    This is the social thread. I can dress nicely without buying expensive clothes. In America, we don't have people who can tell if you've had your umbrella rolled by a machine or if you rolled it up yourself, like they do in certain other countries.

I haven't been a fashionista since I read "The Agony and the Ecstasy" by Irving Wallace. An interesting comment was supposedly made by Michelangelo about the fashions of his day: "If it were the height of fashion to go around naked in public with your butt painted purple while walking on your hands, would you do it?"

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I have to say, it's disappointing how many adult males cannot tie a tie properly. There is only one way; a windsor knot. Half-windsors are passable with certain fabric types but the schoolboy knot of a few loops around then over? Not done.

Calling GrandAdmiraIJello..!

LostOnHoth likes this.
  20. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Don't get me started on ties, Ender. :p As for the watches, it's always been a bit bizarre to me that some people use it as a status symbol (Rolex comes to mind), when it's there for a very simple, practical purpose. $10-30 would be my range in terms of an acceptable price to spend on a watch.

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Start on ties, Tunes! STARRRRRRRT!

22. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    As much as I hate wearing a tie I have to agree that if you are going to wear one it has to be a windsor knot. A medium sized knot looks best, not too small (or you look like a schoolboy or used car salesman) and not too big or you will look like one of those clowns on the footy show.

I'm 43 years old, so I grew up in the 80s with big hair, spray on jeans, hi-top basketball shoes (Converse), leather jacket /sometimes with denim cut-off over the top with Motorhead patch and Iron Maiden T-shirt. That's what I know and I find it hard to move on. At Uni, I had a nose ring and long hair. I had to cut my hair short a couple of years before I finished so I could get a job.

I was simply never made for lawyering life.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'll bet ten usd that he rocks a clip-on.

Jedi Merkurian and Ender_Sai like this.
  24. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Apart from not caring about the status of wearing specific brands, I frankly find the Swiss made watches to typically be bland looking. Actually, I find that high end brands in general are much slower to change their designs, whether it be watches, cars or whatever. I guess to keep the instant subconscious connotation to prestige alive, they gotta keep some signature design cues intact forever, lest the consumers forget that the purchase of said item instantly increases one's value as an asset to the human species. Also, tradition.

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi likes this.
  25. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I just watched about an hour's worth of Mona Lisa Smile starring Julia Roberts. It gives a very good look at the social mores of the early 50's in America. What the fictional Rose Dawson lamented in Titanic is again presented this film. The upper classes are very stuffy, to say the least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.