main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Did anyone else think the Sell/Sequel was a JOKE

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I saw some news reports on it and was all "Heh, some people are jumping to some really wild conclusions oh wait. IT'S ALL TRUE [face_hypnotized] "

2. GargantuanThrillMachine

GargantuanThrillMachine Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2012
    the article was on my yahoo homepage. i was more consumed by shock than skepticism

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I figured the sequel part was a hoax or somebody's absurd misunderstanding until I checked the news.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I did. But it's not my fault. :p

The article I read was titled "George Lucas sells LucasArts to Disney." I just thought it was the video game side.

5. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Yep. But it sank in real fast.

6. Teasser38

Teasser38 Jedi Youngling

Nov 1, 2012
    I don't want to say that I called it, but it felt like sense to me. With Star Wars and Indiana Jones stuff in Disneyland virtually my entire life, it wasn't weird at all. Star Wars always had a family friendly Disney feel to me as my first Star Wars experiences were the TV movies. No way was unapologetic liberal Lucas to sell out to the other natural suitor Fox. Also, if Lucas wanted to make art house films, he would need to raise capital. Pixar has deep roots in ILM, etc.

Also, if the deal was going to happen, no way were more movies not going to be made.

Marvel was weird and difficult to believe. No collaboration between the two groups and very different vibes.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I thought it was a joke until I checked a few reliable websites to realize it was real.

8. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    It's obviously a ploy to drive traffic to the Jedi Council Forums. You guys haven't caught up yet? Sheesh.

9. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Anyone who thought it was a joke doesn't know how the modern studios work.

They made a movie based on the Battleship board game, there is no way they would leave a prime property like Star Wars on the shelf.

I presume GL has just been biding his time waiting for the right offer since ROTS came out.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Thought it was a joke at first. Saw it on two different forums, here and SB, and then on facebook. then i searched google.

Dismayed at first. But now kinda looking forward to it. I just wish some of the more rabid fans would stop obsessing.

11. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Got online and headed for TFN, just making my usual internet rounds and saw the Disney Buys Lucasfilm headline and thought that was weird but made sense. Reading the rest of the headline made me cautious but hopeful. I assumed someone at TFN was making hopeful presumptions. Then the squealing started.

12. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I had pretty much this same reaction.

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    No ****, drive traffic. I'd be willing to bet that membership on this forum doubled since D-Day.

14. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    I read a shared link on Facebook from one of the Star Wars pages I had liked and immediately turned to tell the other half about it then thought hang on, this probably isn't true, I'm gonna look like a right fool. Did a quick search of some forums I use and some news sites and watched an interview with Lucas and accepted it was really happening and proceeded to bombard everyone I've ever known who liked Star Wars with the news.

15. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I might've until I read the line in the initial story about Disney wanting to keep on releasing Star Wars films every 2-3 years. Sometimes news is so grandiose it's instantly believable.

I think I would've been more skeptical about a low key article that claimed the Underworld series was showing signs of progress.

16. darthtuttle

darthtuttle Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2004
    Someone posted it on facebook. i checked the source of the link. it was ign. i then checked empire online.

17. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    It might still be a joke, rumour has it George thinks the world is due to end next month. ;)

18. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I actually signed up after D-Day. I had checked the site out previously, but never signed up. Had to after that announcement.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I did almost a week later. Not sure what I was thinking, waiting, because I used to come here all the time during the PT. I was psyched out of my gourd about this news.

thesevegetables likes this.
  20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I laughed out loud as I read P-Dub's comments about the sale.

21. Dallista321

Dallista321 Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2008
    I'm still not entirely convinced it's not a joke...
    I woke up at 6 am, checked the Dutch news 'teletext', read the news, did a few "No way!"s, and checked some sites to see if it was for real. I assumed it was a Halloween joke of sorts...

22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I didn't think it was a joke, but I just thought the news was jumping at straws by a few words from Lucas like "..movies will continue to last for generations." like we had in 2010, and the ST was a huge assumption of bull****

Guess I was wrong.