main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree with you on the dishwasher thing. Even if you absolutely hate doing dishes, having a full sized dishwasher for one person is rather pointless. It's just as quick to do them by hand.

Oh dear, sorry to hear about the drama, especially on a little one's birthday.

A few days ago, my step-father's mother (I call her the Hutt because she is not pleasant, and pretty much as dumb as a slug) told my mother about my half-brothers -and I quote - 'the boys are basically my sons because I raised them', then, my step-father's sister goes and picks them up from school, without telling my mother. Now, my mother is far from a saint, but she is a decent mother and has raised my half-brothers to be decent as teenage boys can be, even though they get spoiled by their grandparents (their the only grandchildren). ANYWAY, my mother brings this up with my step dad and he tries to defend his family while attacking hers. And it all kinda went downhill from there.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Some day, I may run it at least once, and just to give it a good rinsing. But otherwise... it's a glorified drying rack with a door.

Your family and my family sound like they're cut from similar cloth.

3. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    My family never really had problems. Well unless you count being raised by my granparents from an age so young I thought they were actually my parents. Yeah, that was confusing considering my uncles and aunt were close enough in age to me (the latter actually younger than me) that I thought they were my siblings...

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I never had drama in my family. It was like Leave it to Beaver. I had a stay-at-home mom, a dad who was a scientist working for the government, and four siblings that all got along okay. Now my family with my sons is not the picture of perfection. I don't know where I went wrong. I blame their father. He bases his fathering style on "The Great Santini".

5. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Our family has tons of drama, but thankfully they all live in a different country, so it's reasonably easy to ignore. Unless they send emails. But right now, the craziest one isn't talking to us, so it's been peaceful.

Off-topic, but you guys... I just took my little cat to the vet because she's limping. Turns out it's either an injury, or a symptom of an auto-immune disease. Which would be Bad. [face_worried] I'm really worried right now. Hopefully she just hurt herself. We have to go back in next week and see what's what. Ahhhh. Keep your fingers crossed for her?

6. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Cute, cuddly kitty will be in my thoughts. I hope she's all right.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm jealous of people who had 'wonderful childhoods'. I was one of those kids who got dragged through the mud, was raised by various family members at different times, and learned from a young age that life sucks - you just gotta deal with it. But I am stronger for it. I'm one of those people who laughs when people complain how bad they have it with their 'strict parents'.

Anyway, I hope your kitty is alright! I love my cat, even though he's fat, grumpy and likes to fight foxes.

8. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm jealous of those who've had nice childhoods, too. Mine was crap and abusive. But, I learned early on that life stinks, and I've learned to deal with it. I also laugh at those who think they have "strict" parents. Quite frankly, if your mom isn't smacking you around for minor faults, your parents aren't "strict."

9. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I dunno, I got grounded for a whole month, no TV, no 'net, no telephone, nothing, just because I got home four freaking minutes after my 10 pm curfew because my friend's car wouldn't start. I'd say that was strict.

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I didn't have a curfew. I did have the rule that I had to call if I was going to be past midnight, but that was mostly because the subways stopped running. I went to school in the city, my parents understood that some nights I'd have to be at the all-night library for good reasons.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I had a curfew, but I never obeyed. My folks tried to ground me, but I'd climb out the window. Plenty of reason for me to be smacked around; I was a bad kid.

12. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    I don't think kids should be smacked around. Maybe a spank if they do something stupid like set something on fire, but outside of that? No.

I'm up to 42k words on my new novel, the one I started writing just after the accident last month. 42k words in five weeks. Yikes. I'm only a little over halfway done, too.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    My parents weren't strict, they were never around, and when they were around, they were either drunk with their boyfriend, or high with their girlfriend. In recent years, my mother has gotten better - kinda. And my father - as much as I loved the man - was his own demise. It's a small miracle than my sister and I turned out pretty well. I thank my grandmother for it.

Anyways. Three more weeks then I'm done the boringest semester ever!!!!!!! (I had macroeconomics, pre-confederation Canadian History, history of ancient philosophy with the bloodiest hardest marking prof ever, and general world history from pre-history to 1550). The uni that I go to is actually a science and business university, so it's slim pickings for a general Arts major. But next semester includes biology for dummies (offered so that are students can get their physical science requirement) and intro to international studies.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My mother is bipolar and my dad is an addict. When Mom wasn't manic and being really nasty to us, she'd be hiding away in her bedroom, not emerging for days. Dad tried handling my brother and I, as disciplining us usually fell to him. However, he would just send us to our rooms. When Mom disciplined us, it was harsh groundings, or we were smacked, usually screamed at, and overall knocked around. Mom tended to take most of her frustrations out on me, as I had the behavioral and developmental problems, unlike my brother, who was a smart straight-A student. As I got older, Dad started drinking more, Mom's behavior got worse, and when my folks separated the first time, my brother and I were left to fend for ourselves as Dad would be out at bars. For years, I've wished for my folks to divorce, as they fought constantly. When they finally did, things started to level out. And Mom at least stopped hitting me. By that time, though, I was fighting back.

Anywho... I'm getting better at flourishing. I started practicing with my kendo sword today, after practicing with my nephew's Nerf sword. I can twirl it at a nice clip with my right hand, and my left hand isn't too bad, after a usually-clumsy start. I practiced with my lightsaber, too, just to get the feel for it. I usually don't practice with that, as I don't want to break it. But, I can twirl it nicely. Now I need to wait for this blister on my hand to heal...

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I only got beat once. I was the good child. But one day when I was seven, I got a little too sarcastic to my stepfather, so I got the wooden spoon. Now, my younger half brothers were (and still can be) horrible people, but since they are favoured, they've never gotten a spanking.

Back in high school, some of my idiot guy friends were messing around with some sort of wooden sword - I'm pretty sure it was a Kendo sword, but correct me if they're not made of wood. And, guys being guys, one smacked the other across the back with it. It left a fairly nasty bruise. It was a fairly face-palm worthy moment.

Edit: Wow Dantana. That's alot of words in a short time. I am the world's slowest writer. 15, 000 since the beginning of September!! I blame university life.

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Kendo swords are made from bamboo, so it may have been one. I bought mine eleven years ago in Atlantic City.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I've been beaten with those split bamboo practice kendo swords. It was awful. It was the final exam for a self defense course I took. We walk into the gym where it is dark and music is blasting. Wall partitions were put up all over the gym to make a giant maze. I had to get through the maze but around every corner was one of my friends carrying a big split bamboo stick, wearing lacrosse gloves and helmet and for guys a protective cup. They are told to attack me in a certain way and I am supposed to block and counter attack. Then when I am done I take over for one of the attackers. It is amazing how good friends will take an opportunity to beat the crap out of you. The sticks won't break bones but they sting something fierce.

As for my parents. I only remember getting the belt once. I got mad at my dad and called him stupid. He got his belt off and spanked me across my butt. I never did that again. I think I was more horrified that I got him mad. My dad made Mr. Spock look overly emotional. He never swore, never raised his voice and was usually calm. Except that day when I called him stupid. My mother wouldn't hit us but she was a hot headed spanish woman. She could give us a talking to. They were good parents. They passed away in 2004 and 2010.

18. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I definitely can't stand the Episode VII forum, many people there act like it is insane to even expect the ST to even accommodate the EU. I am already quite alienated by TCW and the post-NJO, so it isn't going to take much from the ST to alienate me from Star Wars as a whole at this point.

TrakNar likes this.
  19. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    What is annoying is I don't think half of them ever read a SW book in their life. So they are throwing out these scenarios...and a lot have been done in the EU. But when you point out that Luke did go dark in Dark Empire then we get into a discussion on Film Continuity and EU continuity.

How much do you want to bet that if you ask the script writers for EP7 what they thought about Star Wars canon they will say something like, "Cannon you mean like a large blaster?" I think if there was any discussion of the EU it went something like this, "Should we follow the EU books or not?" Yes or no, end of discussion. If the movies have to keep canon to the comics, TCW, the EU novels and video games we will get a load of crap for a movie. It is too complex.

If they use the EU they will probably pick and chose characters and introduce them in their own way.

20. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Iverna, I hope your kitty is alright! *hugs*

I just subjected my two cats to a 9-hour day in the car... most boring expanse of driving ever through Oklahoma and Missouri. Part two is tomorrow as we plow on through to Ohio. At least it's a long visit so hopefully they'll forget their resentment before we load 'em up and do it again.

21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I've toyed with the idea of poking my head into the EpVII forum. Then, I was told of some of the topics. I decided against it.

On the real life front... Today, after a doctor's appointment, I went and got my flu shot. Yay. My whole arm hurts. Then, when we stopped to get lunch, I saw a donation box for my second cousin. I pointed it out to my dad. My second cousin needs a kidney, and we discussed which one of us should consider signing up to donate one, as we're both blood relatives. Since I'm younger, it was decided that I would be the best choice, so after we get our lunch and leave the diner, I called up the donation center and signed up to donate a kidney to my second cousin. Now, he has three donors lined up.

If I'm not used as a backup plan, I'm planning to go ahead with a Good Samaritan donation. After several years, I will finally make good on that promise that I made to a friend. I feel pretty good about this.

22. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's awesome TrakNar. I'm impressed. I would volunteer to donate for my sons, but I don't think I have what it takes to give to anybody else. It probably is a mute point for me...years of partying probably screwed up most of my organs.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I drink occasionally, so I hope I haven't caused any damage. It's not that I drink often, at most I've had perhaps a half a beer twice a month. I'm a social drinker, usually when my brother is around, and even then, it's rare that we drink. Beer will sit in my fridge for months. Methinks I'm good there, then. I've also stopped drinking soda, as it was a major cause of my kidney stones. When I called to sign up, nothing was mentioned about kidney stones being a problem. I'll be screened, though, to make sure that everything's in working order. If I find that I can't donate a kidney, I can at the very least say that I did try.

24. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's awesome. It's weird, but if I die young, I hope it's in a car accident, so that I can donate all my working organs (my Pancreas stopped functioning long ago). My liver shouldn't be too messed up. I just turned the legal drinking age here this summer and I drink a glass of vodka and freska like once a month. I have such a diseased family that I wouldn't be surprised if one I am called upon to see if I can donate a kidney to one of my cousins.

My cat HATES car rides. One time we took him on a 15 minute ride, and some of the sounds he made were frightening.

I refuse to be a part of ep VII speculation either on line or in life. I know what I would like to see, but it's pointless to get into arguments. The writers will try to make all fans happy, and if that means ignoring the EU, then so be it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  25. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.