main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V The Old Republic MMO: The New Official Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 7, 2012.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    that sounds like expansion material, the Echini being very similar with the new mis of pandaria expansion. I mean they use a combo of hand to hand fighting, and melee weapons. What could be uniquley theirs? that electromagetic 3 section staff? that would be a real work to animate.

[​IMG]

2. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I'd love something like that in an expansion. And hey, because WOW did it, why not a class that can ultimately choose whether to fight for the Republic or Empire?

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    And they should be Jaxxon's race.

:)

But yes, the Sith Warrior's story is far stronger than the Sith Inquisitor's sadly. There's some good stuff in the Sith Inquisitor but I didn't get any of the politicking or backstabbing I wanted from it. It's mostly (literal) tomb-raiding and Sith necromancy. You don't play Palpatine but Exar Kun, the best adventure being where you get a cult that worships you as a god.

4. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    They destroyed Darth Gravus in the new novel.

5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Some planet lines of SI are ok such as Nar Shadda, Alderaan and Taris. The overall plot of chapter 1 is ok, 2 is not so good, 3 is horrible before Corellia.

6. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    I look forward to the 15th, so my cheap behind can play finally. I even got the game disc at Target when they dropped the price and then sold for 50% off... 7.50. Yay!

7. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I figured if I just waited it would go free to play. I think I'll start out as an Imperial Agent.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
  9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I was kind of disappointed Darth Baras was so different from his comic book appearance. Then again, given the changes with Satele Shan, eh.

10. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm pretty happy to continue playing as well, I haven't even finished one story in the time I had the game (but started three).

Coming next Easter.

Ulicus likes this.
  11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It has been like 20 years sense then though

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    10 years.

13. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    So F2P tomorrow? I was actually planning on playing tomorrow... maybe not a good idea, considering all the traffic. I'll have to time find to play at least an hour today.

14. Scrubbed

Scrubbed Jedi Master star 1

Feb 1, 2006
    TOR could have been a good era and a good game but, it just isn't.

The Era in my opinion started on a horrible note thanks to Drew K's book Revan. I'll admit I'm a little odd and biased but, I in KOTOR I found Revan to be the naturally talented and naturally skilled leader that was incredibly strong in the force and the Exile in KOTOR II was more intelligent but with less raw skill and power. As a result, much of the Exile's actions seem out of character in Revan. The ending to the book honestly felt ridiculously needless. If you need a character killed that is powerful and popular give them a last stand not a one hit KO. Much of the book felt like it was by the power of the books plot just as much of TOR feels like it is by the power of the games plot. (Revan puts his mask on for a bit and then gets much of who he is back and kills Darth Nyriss that has both Scourge and the Exile nearly on the ropes) (Orgus Din saving you from the Emperor's Mind Wammy, Thanatons many escapes/ not finishing the job)

While it has better single player content than most MMO's and better multiplayer content than most RPG's it just doesn't fullfill either the desires of most people that want single player or those that want multiplayer.

The cartoonish graphics also tends to take away from some of the characters as many of the Mandalorians and Darths look like fat or crazy people rather than scary people.

Due to the games desire to act like a single player game your character rapidly advances in the ranks to the point that once your level 50 you are one of the most powerful members of the galaxy. This leaves a huge issue for continuing the story and makes group content and other high level content feel really odd.

Due to the games desire for balanced multiplayer economy the character's are rewarded roughly equally no matter what the action is. This leaves the Jedi just as rich as the smuggler and removes the normal monetary rewards for bad behavior.

TOR frequently felt like the Players character was doing all of the work and causing most of the change in the galaxy instead of feeling that that the actions in the galaxy were caused by the faction the player belong to this caused me frequently to become annoyed with my faction.

TOR also might have benefited from having added a third side: Neutral Advanced Classes. While the existing classes cover lots of ground they leave gaps and the way the character acts frequently is different than the way the player behind it wants the character to act. The advanced classes could cover the more obscure builds from KOTOR 1 and II and could be more complicated in their interactions and have less personal power but more control over their destinies. Their actions could cost them support of one side or the other or cost them their companions (which could be replaced with droids)For example a freelancer diplomat class that is based on the duelist single weapon usage of KOTOR I and II. The diplomat could end up in more defensive options rather than attacking like other classes with greater motion and resistances to evade death. Or, like previous posters have mentioned an Echani(as Echani are near human the wouldn't be as hard to add) Melee Class ( I think the Echani could be on either side as parts of the Echani government might have wanted to secede again like they did when Yusanis was around). Also, you could choose to be a champion(Perhaps add alien races for this) that wields two handed weaponry and acts in a simple but effective fashion unlike the trooper's and the bounty hunters high tech gadgetry and rules and limitations. Or, you could be an Eliminator (perhaps add the anzat race) and use unusual and complex weaponry and techniques likes stealth and crowd control to gain an advantage. It'd also be nice to be a real mandalorian not a wannabe like the trooper(honestly the troppers armor looks more like a mando than a republic armed forces from KOTOR I and II) or an honorary like the Bounty Hunter. Finally, a Force Adept could be added that has a force disability that limited the amount of force power the character could wield at least until it absorbed a certain amount of energy ( a deviation from the Halocryn issues) As a result, the Jedi and Sith failed to notice or desire you but, the millitaries and other thrid parties might be interested in you. This would allow you to be a force user without necessarily dealing with the crazyness that is the Jedi and Sith. KOTOR I and II avoid the Jedi and Sith for most of the games because dealing with them isn't that interesting or fun generally. Over your characters time you could learn from other force traditions and use more obscure powers. Until late in the game your traditional jedi/sith powers would be a bit lacking.

TOR could have strongly benefited by adding a faction system and having quests based on factions or causes (Such as the SIS Imperial Intelligence, Hutts , anti-slavery groups, black sun, anti drugs smuggling groups justicars ect) The factions could sell new ships, and other goodies, provide different landing pads and potentially add new pvp conflicts and provide quest diversity while leveling up.

I personally decided not to resubscribe to TOR after being force to kill Nomar Organa. I had repeatedly taken actions to not kill him, but the game didn't give me a choice. Before a fight like that starts the game should let you choose fight to kill or fight to disable and make the fight more difficult if you choose disable.

SWTOR's Free to Play design adds to their mistakes. The story content which makes up much of their good content is free, but their weaker content costs money and along the way they try to nickle and dime you. Unlike LOTRO where you can buy access to things in the game permanently SWTOR is either free or rental only for the most part. I might pay $20 to pvp or $5 to play space missions but theirs no way I'll pay $2 / week for either. Basically, if you want to have access to most of the game the only cost effective way I've seen is to go VIP which is the way it is now so the F2P is just an odd expansion of the games existing trial access.

Malachi108 likes this.
  15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Wait,you are a Sith, why would you spare Nomar? Also compare to other MMO it already granted enough choices to kill/spare people.

16. Scrubbed

Feb 1, 2006
    Being a Sith doesn't mean I lack emotion. I felt sorry for the Rehinda Rist. My Sith didn't feel sorry very often but, in the Rist case I did. Besides, the kill doesn't really provide me personally with much of a benefit. By not killing him I could get on the good side of rist and potentially even organa. Being spared by a Sith could entirely shatter Nomar's belief in the Jedi

Other MMO's would have made me fight at the first encounter rather than having the fight occur at the second. SWTOR gave me a nicer option then tore it away. It felt kind of like SWTOR was giving out free candy than tore it away.

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, as a Jedi he will think you are redeemable.

I think since you achieved so much in the end as a Sith, too light side makes no sense.

18. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Is the 15th confirmed as the F2P date? That'd be nice, as I'm off tomorrow.

19. Scrubbed

Feb 1, 2006
    http://www.swtor.com/ yeah free to play is tommorow.

I suspect most of the high ranking Sith don't care where your power comes from or how pure you are as a Sith.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    If you play Sith Warrior you will know they cleanse Sith who is not pure enough.

21. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's why the Revanites are a cult and Light Sided Sith are in hiding.

22. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000

Cool, thanks.

23. Scrubbed

Feb 1, 2006
    Theirs also a Sith on Korriban that does blood tests and finds that very few have much Sith blood in their veins. But, the Sith doing the test didn't seem to be anything special. After all, they'd deal with the problem themselves if they had any real power. Questions of Purity might be popular with the lower ranking sith but, the dark council failed to deal with either the light side sith warrior or the light side inquisitor. In fact, the Inquisitor was handed power that they did not ask for. Having a Light Sider filling a position would make the council safer and easier for the other members as you'd have less to worry about coming from them and they would be easier to eliminate.

As an Inquisitor they give you a different title based on your alignment which implies that they know and don't care.

24. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I love HK 51

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So, now that I'm back into the game, I must reiterate: I find it really, really, really difficult to play as a Sith. I just can't handle it. Every time I try, I end up running back to my Jedi. :p