main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Boba Fett

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by bluesaber70, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Boba Fett died in RotJ

Why do they need Fett when they have Luke?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    He'll be back.
    Then it'll be fun to hear the raging chorus of naysayers grudgingly queiting down.

And if he's not back... well, I'm not really upset by that either.

3. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    I thought the same about Maul in TPM.
    But the Clone Wars thought otherwise.

4. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Whts the point in bringing him back? Ultimate he is such a minor character, to devote screen time to dealing with and explaining how he lived in a movie that susposed going to be able the Skywalkers........whats the point?

5. Homesick

Homesick Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    There was always speculation, and a theory, that after the events at the sarlacc pit, Dengar retrieved Boba, alive, from the beast. DV75's comment about Maul also gives some backing to this theory, and it's purity.

Why do they need Fett? Boba has easily been the one of the most likable, and widely known characters from the Star Wars universe. What makes this more amazing, is that he isn't on-screen that much, and, when he is, he rarely speaks. Since he is such a liked character, I'd venture to say more than Luke, it would make sense to explore the possibility of bringing him back, and having a larger role.

EDIT: Perhaps this will help, fenton...

6. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Lucas has always said in his mind, his story Fett died there. If Arndt is working with Lucas/off his outline, I doubtful Fett is included. Shouldn't the goal be to create NEW and MORE likeable characters rather then it just being "bring back who is popular". I like Boba Fetta s much as the next guy, but time to move on. If there is a role for bounty hunter in the new movie lets see a new bounty hunter. If the creators just used who was popular in the past we wouldn't have a character like Cade Bane today, it would have just been Boba Fett or Aura Sing in that role.

Darth Maul is popular, s hould be in the new movies? Same with Ahsoka. Vader is hugely popular, why not bring him back too?

7. Homesick

Homesick Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    Yes, and he also said there weren't going to be anymore Star Wars movies, didn't he? As far as he is concerned, he has nothing to do with the return of characters. If Disney wants to explore different options, theories, and the like, it is up to them. If they want to bring back certain characters, they can. Where Lucas story for ended, they can continue.

As far as this comment is concerned:
    Tell me, did the original trilogy, or even the prequel trilogy, tell you much about Boba? His early life, what he did after the death of his father? The whole point would be character development, something that many characters lack. Fans like him, why not bring him back, give us his story, how he became the most highly regarded bounty hunter.

You act as though if they bring back one popular character, they will not continue to develop new ones. Why is this? I understand if they just brought back popular characters, new development would lack, but it wouldn't be their primary focus. Remember, we are talking about just Boba Fett's return, not if the new owners of Lucafilms plan on ditching the idea of new characters.

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    ANd he isn't making them. And sure Disney could say "Put Boba Fett int he movie", but it sounds like they are leaving Lucas Film and Kennedy alone creatively (at least for now). If Disney is the one now selling toys and comics, isn't it better for them to create a new character so they can sell Boba Fett figures AND Character X figures?

The more you tell fans about a character like Boba Fett, the worse. Popular characters that have that mystery about are better left a mystery.

If they want to tell a story about Fett becoming a great/feared bounty hunter, that sounds like a "Dark Times" Boba Fett movie, not Episode VII of hte Skywalker saga.

How many bounty hunters do you need in one 2 hours movie about the Skywalkers? If you put Boba Fett in the movie you taking away a role that coul dbe used to introduce a new character.

9. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    I don't see why people are so hostile to the idea of him escaping the sarlacc to be honest.

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  10. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Beacuse its a dumb idea. The same reason a lot of people aren't/weren't thrill with Maul coming back.

11. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Is it? I didn't see Boba get chopped in half and fall down a bottomless shaft... He fell into the sarlacc pit wearing a suit that is riddled with weaponry and a jetpack. It's definitely not beyond the realms of possibility that he got out.

12. Homesick

Homesick Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    It seems like you are confusing the idea of character development with a mysterious character. When we know their name, who their family was, where they came from, but not how they got their start as a bounty hunter, what they did after the CW, this isn't being mysterious, it's just not explained, or developed yet.

Yes, since they are now the cardholders, it would be good to develop their own characters. But, when you have a character who is seen as the dominent character for their genre (ie: bounty hunter in episodes IV, V, and VI being Boba), someone who the fans like quite a bit, and you replace him with a new, foreign character, it may not go over too well. Immediately replacing a character like him with a new bounty hunter, may seems a bit rash.

Care to explain this a bit more? I'm having a hard time understanding how this is better.

So, you feel it better to take out an already liked character, who we don't know too much about, and replace him with an entirely new character? I also fail to see why you made that first comment, who ever said anything about multiple movies? Also, the OT was not entirely about the Skywalkers. If anything, it was about the last Jedi trying to bring balance to the Force, and restore order, taking it away from a corrupt Empire. If we follow your reasoning of this, we wouldn't need characters like Han Solo, Chewbacca, Lando, etc, if it follows your idea of it being just about the Skywalkers.
    Honestly, you couldn't give any other reason? Saying "it's a dumb idea" is a biased opinion, and if would be great if you could provide more information/facts to support that, and your comment of Maul's return.

13. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    And I think having him in AotC was a mistake. ANd not knowing creates.....mystery..........

Or may go over great. See Cade Bane. Whats rash is devoting screen time to a minor character doing something 30-40 years before the movie starts just because he is popular. If they want to do some with Boba Fett fine, but shoe horning him into Episdoe VII, taking time out to establish he isn't dead just because he is popular doesnt make any sense.

The more you explain the less mystery there is, and thats always part of the draw. With Fett he looked cool, he was clearly capable, Vader clearly respected him. And you wanted to know more about him. But the more you learn the less cool he becomes, and less people think he is cool because you simply can't please everyone. I'm sure you have some idea in your head about Boba fett and what made him a feared bounty hunter, what if a backstory didn't fit at all w hat you built up and you thought it was lame?

Han, Chewie, Lando etc... all support Lukes story. If there is a good reason to have a bounty hunter there, they shoul dhave a bounty hunter in the story. Is there a good reason why has to be Boba Fett? (and I mean a story reason, not "hes cool people like him").

The more you bring peple back from the dead the less impactful death becomes, which is never good for story telling.

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Ultimately with Boba Fett - we got a conclusion to him as a character, he got killed by Han when he fell into the Sarlac.

It seems like the only reason to bring him back to life (which would take screen and story time) is because he is popular and a lot of fans like him. Thats is completely the wrong reason to include anyone in a movie and to give 10-20-30 minutes of screen and development time to a character.

If you are going to take the teeth out of one of the biggest threats in the OT (the Sarlac - now who cares if Lando got pulled in, they could just pull him out right?) there has to be a very good, STORY reason why Boba Fett is brought back to life. There has to be a role for a bounty hunter and a reason why a new characters can't fill it. I haven't seen that yet. "Hes popular" isn't a good reason.Its a bonus reason.

15. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    As fans we have to understand that for Disney they also want to turn a huge profit. They communicated to their shareholders that purchasing lucasfilm and making more Star Wars films was going to be very lucrative - so while they want to create a nice story, they also want it make big $$$$ at the box office and in merchandising. So, planting more OT elements in these new movies will fuel those goals.

Look no further to the PT. Lucasfilm felt a consistent need to make references to the OT in order to produce and market those films. Creating the Jango Fett/Boba Fett/Clone tropper storyline wasn't by accident. It had a lot to do with the huge following Boba had in the years after ROTJ. While Anakin's backstory was the focus of the PT - they couldn't go without making references to "suited" Vader (ie: subtle cues of the imperial march in Anakin's theme; using the Vader breathing in AOTC's teaser trailer; having suited Vader in posters for ROTS when in reality he is only featured at the end of the film).

Thus, don't be surprised if Disney, while creating new characters, does the same and actually brings back old ones. Not so much Vader but Boba? I would put my money on that bounty hunter.

16. Homesick

Homesick Jedi Youngling

Nov 6, 2012
    You act as though they have to take half an hour to explain how he didn't die, how he was recovered. It doesn't have to be that long, just enough to tell us what happened, and in the best way possible. Not rushing it, not making it seem dumb, and devoting too much time to it.

It seems like you're main gripes are that of him taking up space for new characters, and that creating backstory will take too much time, which I still fail to see.

You're still not seeing my point on the "he's popular" issue.
    But, to answer these two statements. Think Han. He's a smuggler. He's wanted by Vader, for helping Luke, and being a part of the Rebel Alliance. They need the best of the best, a great bounty hunter. Boba's purpose is to be a behind the scenes antagonist. He is commissioned by Darth Vader himself to hunt down Luke, Leia, Han, etc. Now I ask you, how is this not a good enough reason to return? If you are following this same idea of it not being a good enough role, then that negates Jango's role in AotC as well.

So you think that him dieing by having his jetpack damage, and just aimlessly falling into the sarlacc pit is more impactful, than him making a return? When everyone thought he was dead, when they were relieved to not have someone hunting them again?

Again, your reasoning goes the same way toward Jango's death. I fail to see how their deaths have a bigger impact than them making a surprise return.

17. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Okay, here's my editorial (and Lando, I just happened to pick your post out of any of the others like it, so no personal offense is intended).

As you already know, according to the only man whose opinion officially counts on the matter, Boba Fett survived. Whether anybody likes it or not, that's how it is and considering George has written the treatments for therse pictures (and likes to toss the fans a bone now and again), it shouldn't shock anyone if we see Fett return in one or more of these films. I happen to enjoy the character and would like to see more of him in the Sequel Trilogy, but had George said "no, Boba didn't make it," then I'd just get over it and move on and that would be the end of it. I certainly wouldn't be here arguing "Hey, he's alive, because, well, you know, that's what I want to be true."

Either way, can we not just agree that we don't know whether Boba will appear and that we'll simply have to wait and see and just leave it at that? I mean, this whole bickering about my opinion and your opinion and everybody's opinion surrounding the Sarlaac is tiring. The only facts we have are (1.) that Boba fell into a Sarlaac, (2.) George Lucas himself says that Boba Fett survived and (3.) that we'll find out in 2 1/2 years if he'll show up in Episode VII or not.

Offer your opinion on whether Boba Fett should be in the movie for story purposes and I'm interested. Telling me "he died" not only flies in the face of what the maker of the franchise and its films says is canon, but after all these years of people arguing, it's just become soooo boring! I'm all for grooving on people's opinions of the saga and I don't take issue with anybody deciding that personal canon is their preferred way to go, but on this one issue, for me, enough is enough already and throwing around blanket statements like "he died," like an opinion is supposed to be fact, is just too much.

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  18. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Even IF Fett lives he has no reason to be after Han and the gang. Jabba's dead. Fett got paid. He could be alive and we'd never see him.

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    True.
    It would be an interesting twist if we have a scene where Han walks into a cantina and *gasp* runs into Fett! Fans hold their breath! The coming showdown must be epic! Han hurriedly draws his blaster, ducks for cover...with Boba just looking at him slightly baffled by the whole situation.
    Han: "...you're...not gonna attack me? Capture me? Or...or something?"
    Boba: "... Solo. That was 40 years ago. Time to move on, man."

TreborSabreon and Echo-07 like this.
  20. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    Revenge can take some years to execute perfectly.

Boba will be after Luke and Han.

21. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, to the peeps who want to see Fett -- he's gonna be old too. He'll prbably have a cane with a skull on it like the logo.

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    ^^ Which would actually be awesomely cool.
    An old Boba Fett, who still kicks ass, but is more in the role of a crime boss or something.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  23. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    Why would they squander the iconic/cult characters of the series? Fett will be back just like Vader will be.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You said still kicks...

Therein lies the issue. Boba has never been anywhere but on the recieving end of a canon @$$-kicking...

25. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Well some people like him, some don't.

The matter is really simple for me.
    I like Boba Fett.
    I want to see him get more action.

If I don't get to see him in action, I will totally not be upset with it.
    I'll still like Boba Fett.

Simple as that.

TreborSabreon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.