main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Darth Vader coming back For Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by black_saber, Nov 14, 2012.

1. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
  2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
  3. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    IT would be the worse idea on the planet and I mean that

4. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Tell me about It!!:rolleyes: [face_frustrated]

5. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    The PT had the benefit of hyping suited Vader's first appearance over the course of three films. Using him in TPM's teaser poster; the sound of his breathing in AOTC's teaser trailer; using his image throughout posters for ROTS - even though he doesn't appear until the very end.

Let's face facts - Star Wars makes big bucks when there is something 'Vader' involved.

Now here comes Episode VII that could have absolutely NOTHING to do with Darth Vader. The assumption is that the story won't have anything Vader in it based on his demise in ROTJ.

Is Disney really going to be satisfied with that? Sure. New villains, sith, whatever. We all seen them come and go. And they still didn't have the same impact of the iconic Darth Vader.

So....who knows.

I say this - if it makes sense as it pertains to the story...do it! If not, then don't do it.

6. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Which should be the attitude for ANY existing character being included in the ST.

7. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree.

But the process may go like this when dealing with characters such as Vader and Boba:

"We would like to see Darth Vader return." - Disney/Lucasfilm

"Ok. But he died in the last movie." - Arndt

"We understand. Try and come up with ways to see if we can bring him back. As long as it makes sense." Disney/Lucasfilm

Recall there were discussions of showcasing a young Han Solo in ROTS with Chewbacca. But alas, it just didn't work/make sense to the overall story.

I suspect similar story discussions around Vader, Boba, etc for EVII.

8. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    A way it could work is if it's not in fact Vader. If there was an underground Sith collective and one of them chose to put on the Vader suit and mask to inspire fear and terrorize people/inspire other Sith then it could definitely work. And of course Luke's son would have to confront him and take the mask off to reveal the imposter Sith.

9. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I don't think so. Disney seems to be pretty good at leaving groups like Lucasfilm on their own.

They know the BEST way to promote the brand and make money is to make a quality product. Going back and reusing the same old characters (Vader, Boba Fett etc...) is how you kill a franchise. To keep it healthy and making money they need to make good movies, good tv shows and create new characters that fans like.

Its not like Disney has forced pixiar to make sequel after sequel to their movies just because they'd make money. They know the pixiar guys are at their best creating new characters and stories and the way to keep pixiar relevent is by having them produce high quality movies, not pump out 3-4-5 Finding Nemo or Incredibles or Wall-E sequels. Plus with every new Pixiar film, they have more characters and worlds to use and sell.

Fleab88 and black_saber like this.
  10. Kraven Head

Kraven Head Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I think its great! You can take the Vader character in so many directions... Remembering that Anakin and Vader are 2 different people.

Vader, in itself, is a symbol of fear, oppression and everything else negative. Whether Vader is cloned at his most evil peak, or someone else doning the suit, bringing back Vader doesnt automatically mean Anakin is coming back as He can be brought back without affecting the mythology/prophecy/legacy of Anakin.

IIRC, in Lucas' original drafts, he had Obiwan and Yoda come back from the death... it be a real mind bender having a cloned Vader face off w/ a light side ressurected Anakin Jedi.

Also, the whole prophecy thing, am going to wager Anakin (clone, ressurected or ghost) fufills the prophecy at the end of Ep9.

Speculation and debating is half the fun.

Cheers mates, K

11. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm with Fenton. Disney is not nearly as much of the salve driving evil corporation as people accuse them of being. It's true they went through a pump out crummy sequels phase, but that was a very long time ago. Remember how well pixar and marvel have done under them. They know when their role is just to give out the money so they can see much more role in.

12. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012
    Agreed, like also mentioned, Vader is a symbol irrelevent of who is wearing the suit.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  13. Kraven Head

Nov 5, 2012
    I have to somewhat disagree w/ you mate. Disney is in this to make $$$, and Vader is the most marketable SW character. Being said, remember this is pure fantasy, and there are so many ways to being back Vader without insulting anyone, the timeline or the prophecy...assuming its done right.

Done wrong, then Disney just laid the worst egg ever.

Cheers, K

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    And nothing will kill their ability to make money on Star Wars faster then putting out movies that people hate and don't want to watch.

15. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Exactly.

16. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    It's not pure fantasy. It has fantasy elements, but to call it pure fantasy is a huge stretch I think. Once again I would like to point at that the past shows my point to be very valid. Again I point you to things like Pixar and Marvel. I agree Disney is out to make money. I never said that was not the case. My argument is that Disney recognizes that money is best gained through quality. It should also be pointed out again that this whole rumor comes form a British tabloid. Not exactly a reliable source. Even if Vader did come back I can almost be certain it is simply another character donning the helmet rather than the actual Vader.

Does Disney go after money? Yes. Are they stupid about it? I would say no, and their bank account would agree with me. All this has gotten the discussion pretty off topic though.

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  17. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Damn are these threads multiplying.

But IMO, that's a bad idea.

18. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Tabloid trash

19. Green_Destiny_Sword

Jun 20, 2001
    Agreed. marvel has not skipped a beat since they acquired it.

20. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    I also believe Disney will not ruin the Expaneded universe as well!!

21. DV75

Nov 30, 2001
    Disney/Lucasfilm will not completely throw away the idea of a "Vader" returning either.
    This new trilogy and the Disney acquisition has opened up a number of possibilities.

I believe they have or are examining the prospect. Why not? We are not saying it will be Anakin/Vader returning - just a "Darth Vader".

The good spirit of Anakin Skywalker became one with the force. What happened to the evil spirit of Darth Vader?

I think its worth taking a look at.

22. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    The evil spirit of Darth Vader? It's the same man. A person only has one spirit. It either is overcome by good or evil. We could dissect that concept with any character. What happened to the good spirit of Palpatine? What about the good and evil spirit of Dooku? I don't buy it. The one and only plausible way to bring back vader is to have someone else putting on the helmet and impersonating him, and even then I doubt it will happen. I will in no way take this concept seriously until a reliable source that is not a tabloid gives me a reason to consider it. If it happens then I will accept it for what it is, but as far as I can see there is zero reason to think it can happen until better news if any is provided.

fishtailsam likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker so he has one spirit

24. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Because its probaly not part of hte Lucas outline that Arndt is working from.

25. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I don't mind the ghost of Anakin Skywalker, but I really don't want to see Vader again. A classic villain he is, but it's something that will come off way to forced. I mean why bring him back other than just to put butts in seats?

IMO, you bring back Palpatine not Vader. Palpatine did go out a little easy in ROTJ, and the clone things worked in the EU. So him coming back I could see, but not Vader.