main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What does Disney own?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ThatWanFromStewjon, Nov 14, 2012.

1. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Hi guys,

Does anyone know the extent to which the Disney deal covers the literature?

Will Disney be allowed to reprint stories published under Banthan and Dark Horse and be able to use all EU characters and environments?

2. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Does Disney have its own internal publishing house?

The characters, environments and situations are owned by Lucasfilm, not Bantam, Dark Horse, etc.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Disney publish comics through Marvel I believe, and I read that future Star Wars comics would go out the same.

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I'm not certain that Disney has actually publish Disney characters in Marvel.

But there is a group called Disney Publishing Worldwide

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Disney absolutely has the capability to begin publishing the books itself, and it absolutely has the rights to do so. The question is to what extent they're willing to continue the established licensing programs for certain products--no one really knows yet, but it appears they're more interested in selling toys than dealing with publishing programs.

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    I would imagine they won't continue any current or past EU stories or plot lines, but start things a new.

I was more wondering if they can.

7. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Tomorrow? No. Ultimately? Yes.

Bib Fartuna likes this.
  8. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Cool. Thanks.

9. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yes they can use all EU Characters and Characters. Dark Horse will probably lose the license to Marvel. Publishing Wise Del Rey is likely to keep stuff.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, they can't break licensing contracts (unless a specific provision addressing this eventuality was written into them). They'd have to wait for expiration.

Moreover, it's Kathleen Kennedy and the executives of LFL who would make these decisions, not the majority shareholder (Disney).

11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks. Why do you think Del Ray might keep theirs?

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Cheers.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Actually, that's debatable. We've been focusing more on DH because Disney has such a high-profile comic publisher in Marvel, but they could just as easily do the novels themselves if they really wanted to.

:p

14. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    what don't they own??

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Integrity?

After all, that went out when Greedo shot first.

JStepp and thesevegetables like this.
  16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Disney owns Hyperion, among other publishing houses. I would think they'd want to publish SW EU through their own company, when the Del Ray license expires.

17. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
    Does Marvel care less about quality then Dark Horse does?

i don't read that many comics and usually from smaller publishers like BOOM.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Since the big Disney thread has eerily made it to page 2, I figure this thread is the best place to post this article. I originally saw it when Ryder Windham shared it on facebook.

One can only hope, eh?

19. Amphimachus

Amphimachus Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    The Beguiling is a great comic book store, I haven't been in there in a while but they always do a lot to promote independent comics. Good to see them weigh in on Dark Horse's side, I'm hoping they keep the licence. Their omnibus program is a lifesaver for people like me who missed out on the earlier stuff, but want to catch up now. Makes me feel like I should bring my business back there... curse you amazon and your temptingly low prices!

20. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    This is a sort-of related question. If it doesn't belong here, feel free to direct me elsewhere.

How will this affect fan-made stories, both printed and on video? Previously, Lucasfilm was OK with them, provided the makers didn't profit from them or try to mis-represent them as official material. However, Disney is somewhat...noted for taking legal action against those who make use of their properties without official permission.

21. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    There seems to be a mixed view about this. Like you mention, some think there's a danger given Disney's past examples; others have said there's more money in allowing the Star Wars brand to thrive on its own. So it's just wait and see, really.

Personally I suspect it'll be some of both.

I can easily see them being more picky about fans selling home made lightsabers or stormtrooper armour due to how much money Disney probably intend to make from the potential merchandising that hasn't ever been officially tapped (well, Master Replicas covered lightsabers once... then that stopped, but I can see Disney bringing quality, non-toy replicas back again if they think it'll make them some more money). Wookieepedia... I dunno. I imagine it's too big a can of worms to try and stop it, but if they're not making any money from sourcebooks I wouldn't be surprised if they just decided not to bother releasing more and told us to suck it up and be happy with the SW.com stuff.

22. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    Does Disney own John Carter? I remember seeing some John Carter comics, not sure from which publisher.

23. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Regardless of whatever happens, Star Wars is not Boom comics and all the other stuff from the article. Star Wars will do fine wether it stays with Dark Horse or goes to Marvel. The big difference with Marvel, is that somewhere along the line we will probably see more direct to dvd animation videos. Something that hasn't really been done. Most lilely, if there is any shift to Marvel, they may only decide to cover the time frames of the new trilogy of movies instead of the combobulated stuff from the Prequel and Orginial trilogy. Unless they plan a reboot which I don't see happening.

24. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Ugh, I hope not. I mean, I like StarWars.com too, but it's no substitute for printed guides. I see so much of the "not going to buy XYZ, will just wait the eighteen hours til it's on the Wook" that I'm starting to worry about shooting ourselves in the foot in the long run. Wookieepedia is like Cliffs Notes: it's not supposed to replace reading the original material. Worst case scenario, admittedly, but new content isn't produced for free after all.

fistofan1 likes this.