main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

2013 Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by PtrsonsZOO, Nov 8, 2012.

1. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Saturday, March 16th, 2013

Star Wars comes together to represent the fandom in the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade.

A joint entry was submitted to the parade committee and accepted.

In order to preserve my sanity (or what's left of it) and my faith in humanity, I will be passing the torch for organizing the parade appearance this year. I am continuing to handle the paperwork, as it's taken me a number of years to develop a reputation with the parade committee and I am happy to keep this end of it up.

Obey Wann has graciously stepped up to handle the coordination of the parade appearance. He has a long record of working with all of the groups, and is a fair and balanced administrator of such things. He will work with DH & SC on any assistance they require for the float itself, and will keep all of the groups in the loop with the intell on the event itself. Please offer him your appreciation for taking up this challenging assignment, and I know it will be yet another successful event for everyone.

2. Sarnia

Sarnia WOTR Liaison star 5

Jun 1, 2004
    Thanks for all you do Zoo!

3. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Thanks zoo! I'm excited for another fun parade this year!

Can you remind what age they start walking it? Also are we offering the float to those who can't walk the parade route this year?

4. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  5. catz44

Jul 25, 2004

6. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    6 & over are allowed to walk, otherwise they need to be riding in some fashion. And by allowed to walk, I mean they have to walk the WHOLE parade. NO ON/OFF RIDING!

Also, please remember that the rules state there is to be no consumption of alcoholic beverages DURING the parade and in the staging area. Yes, I know people cheat, but the rules state otherwise, and this is an event with lots of kids around, so please observe the rules. Save the adult beverages until AFTER the parade.

Obey Wann likes this.
  7. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Thoughts on the float this year? Will it hold our young, injured, or people that can't make the walk?

8. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
    Are we using the same float as last year?

9. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    I think we have the cashola enough for a new float.

10. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    We talked about using that cashola for the Death Star trench run pinewood derby track for next year's Denver Comic Con.

11. Sarnia

Jun 1, 2004
  12. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'll do everything I can to coordinate between the groups. I don't check here as often as I should, but I do check faceborg every day. If you ever need to get hold of me quickly, that's probably the best bet.

If there is interest in doing a different float and you want 501st/RL help, I'll be happy to pass it along.

13. he-guy

he-guy RMFF CR star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Could the float be used to advertise a trench run derby? A banner perhaps if Denver Comic-Con is not planning their own float?

DieWompRatDie likes this.
  14. banzai

banzai Jedi Master

Apr 29, 1999
    Thanks to the both of you.

15. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    We would like a place on the float. (we meaning me and the girls)

16. catz44

Jul 25, 2004
    Do we need to do any updates or repairs to the float ?

17. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    As far as I know we are always going to use the float for 2 years, less $, planning, herding cats, etc.

We should talk about the float, #1 it's not for drunk people. Jeff's hopes was to have a 'themed' float but with his work picking up I"m not sure he is going to get those costumes done.
    As far as advertising, we will need to check the parade rules, if it's for a company or advertising I think the entry fee is much higher. I don't see a problem with people marching with a banner though. Thoughts?

18. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008

Perhaps we should just say that we're promoting our table and the pinewood derby track at the con and that we're not advertising for the con? Perhaps that would allow us to avoid the extra fee.

I think a banner in front of the float would be nice. That would be a good way to let people know about our involvement in future events.

19. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
  20. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Um, we have a banner for the front of the entry that has all the SW groups involved with the entry (I carried it last year). If you're talking about a banner attached to the front of the float no one will see it because of the truck pulling it. I don't think we are splitting up the seperate groups, are we?

21. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Think they are talking about another banner all together. We can have more than one, we have in the past, each group has carried their own.

22. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    So, the all-inclusive everyone-on-the-banner banner that Bill worked so hard on is out now? That doesn't seem fair. The purpose was to show our solidarity with all the groups involved. Maybe I'm just not getting it. I really don't think we need another banner.

23. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Anything beyond the groups represented constitutes advertising or sponsorship... I believe the entry fee for those is $500-600. Community groups have a much lower fee which has already been paid.

banzai and QueenHighMistress like this.
  24. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone seen that banner that I made last year? IIRC, it was on the float at the end of the parade, but I never got it back. I would like to use it for group events in the future. If we want to make a new banner with all logos (adding Mando Mercs and CMCs, that's OK by me, I want to use the other banner for trooping or for cons and such.)

2) Are we going with the same float?

3) Are there any ways that we (or any of the groups) can add to the entry to ramp it up to eleven? I.e. making pedal powered cars, or mini-floats, or anything else?

25. DieWompRatDie

Dec 2, 2008
    Does making a new banner with our usual logo and text saying "Watch for the Death Star Pinewood Derby at the 2013 Denver Comic Con" (or something similar) constitute advertising? We're not advertising the con, but promoting our activity at that event.