main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like to see one director for the entire trilogy? Or different ones like the OT

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Nov 14, 2012.

1. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Speculation has been rampent on who will direct Episode VII.

Now we know the reasoning behind Lucas not directing ESB and ROTJ as he was busy with establishing his companies, Skywalker Ranch, etc.

Should the director for Episode VII also direct the two after it? Or should they be given to other directors for a chance to direct.

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I suppose, it depends on who is directing. Continuity is always a good thing. Three Episodes of GL directing was not. :D

3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    One each movie. Because what happens when the director of Episode VII, whoever he may be, ruins it? Then we can look forward to someone else directing Episode VIII instead of dreading how the Episode VII director will turn that movie into garbage.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR and Dra--- like this.
  4. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    It depends on how the first movie turns out if I'd want to move on to a different director or not.

5. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Interesting question. Very few directors have maintained a high quality of films within a trilogy. I would argue Jackson with the Lords, Speiberg with Indy and Nolan with Batman. Many have failed including Coppola with the Godfather (I do like 3 but its not in the same league), Bay with Transformers, Gore with Pirates, Raimi with Spider-Man, Wackowski with matrix and even George with the prequels.

My feeling is that a new director is needed for each film.

vinsanity and Darth-Seldon like this.
  6. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    Wouldn't mind different directors as long as they do good at their job and don't make it unstarwarsy, yep new adjective for ya. But I will say, ROTJ is my least favorite film in terms of style (also, threeps and artoo sound way to crisp) and I believe that suffered from Marquand not knowing what to do or how to make the magic happen, George even had to come in and help out as second unit director I believe. That shouldn't be much of a problem with todays directors, but one never knows.

7. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I think it's pretty dangerous to put all of the eggs into the one basket. Especially if George's intentions are to hand the franchise over to a new generation of filmmakers (plural). In their own way, each of the classic trilogy films felt different from one another in terms of scope, mood and setting. Whereas, the prequels just felt so familiar that you could have almost cut them into one epic 4 hour feature and not realise they were made up from different films. Some of the CGI in The Phantom Menace is actually better than Revenge Of The Sith. Example: underwater Gungan city vs. Volcano.

8. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    It depends on who directs the first movie.

9. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd like to see different directors get a shot at each film. For example, I'm against Daren Aronofsky doing Episode 7, because he mainly is all about Dark ideas and themes. Which, to me, wouldn't be good for an opening chapter, but would be great for an Episode 8.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I wished Spielberg directed TPM, mainly because he's good with kid actors. James Cameron would have been good for AOTC, since he can make actors convey genuine feelings of love as good as any. And for ROTS, I would have chosen Peter Jackson. The guy knows how to make a movie that has a dark but also colorful look and still direct his actors to express true feelings of love and hate to fit these two styles.

Dra--- and Episode Swag like this.
  11. Voss

Voss Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    hmm.. good topic... I'm actually interested in multiple directors. Like Ep 4, 5, 6. All different directors. Same spirit, but different bodies.

12. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    One for each movie. Stops them from getting stale/

klooney likes this.
  13. Chrono85

Chrono85 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    They should probably pick one director for the first one, and then if that works out, they can consider him/her for the others :).

Julius Vernon likes this.
  14. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    As many have said, it really depends on who is directing the first. If they are one of my favourite directors, then I'd like to see them carry through. Otherwise, a different one for each movie :)

15. Darthgoodguy

Darthgoodguy Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    I would personally prefer three different directors to give us three distinct movies with subtle differences in tone and flavor. I think part of the reason Star Wars stays fresh for so long in the eyes the audience is the different maturity levels of the original three movies.

There was a time not so long ago when Jedi was my favorite of the three, Ewoks not withstanding. ;) I liked the Ewoks and they probably drew me into the rest of the saga. To this day, my favorite scene in the entire saga is probably when Luke is being forced off the plank, the air-somersault, Artoo shooting the lightsaber, the battle!

When I got older, I preferred the deeper more serious themes presented by Empire and the mystical & philosophical aspects of the Force.

Now that I'm older still, I'd have to go with A New Hope(Now that I've discovered Adywan's Star Wars: Revisited I haven't seen the abominations that were the official DVD releases since. Highly recommended, just saying) I enjoy the sense of adventure and the classic struggle of good vs evil. It's just a ripping good yarn!

It's a series of films that grows with you and even with(or because of) the Ewoks, I wouldn't have it any other way.

vinsanity and Dra--- like this.
  16. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think they will take a film-by-film approach. If it does well and they like the director (everything went smoothly etc...) then they'll have first shot to come back. I think that's a good approach.

17. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    I'd like a variety as long as they do a great job with it. Also depends on the tone of the story and what it needs to convey

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    While I would prefer a variety, I have a suspicion that if the films will all feature the original cast that they may attempt to film all 3 semi-simultaneously, much like Peter Jackson and his 28-part Hobbit film.

19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    George Lucas did what he wanted, how he wanted with 1 , 2 and 3. I don't adore the prequels but I haven't seen anything quite like them since. They are unique installments to cinema and well produced. The prequels are the prequels. Some fans even like them more. He set the stage with A New Hope and did a fine job directing it. I have no complaints. A New Hope is definitely my favorite in the series but not by much. Timeless Classic.

He did it in a way where it's separate from the OT and that' s fine. They were just different. I think the important thing is that they pick a consitent visual style and "spirit" for this sequel triology that fans accept, appreciate... Probably similar to what George Lucas originally directed for A New Hope and what ESB and ROTJ remained faith ful to...

There was nothing wrong with how he directed the prequels , they were just different and had terrible acting. Sure, they used lots of green screen and special effects but they weren't amatuer hour material. He did what he wanted to do with them. And he did it his way and after it was said and done that was his creative vision for the prequels .

I do agree that 7, 8 and 9 should return to more physical set design and practical effects if that is how you feel about the new triology . Obviously if they do this right it has to flow with 4, 5 and 6 to some extent. I do agree that it depends on who directs episode 7, that it will set the stage for the new films but I feel that the OT already should be there in place to set the stage to begin with.

I expect that they will acknwoledge the cinematic direction of 4 , 5 and 6 as far as ship design and mood go and they will use some pratcical sets and CGI but obviously it will have a fair amount more of computer generated effects .

20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Let me clarify, I do not think GL is a bad director nor do I dislike the PT. Rather I think, GL was so task saturated with everything else he does, he could not properly concentrate on directing the PT.

If anything was wrong with the PT, it was a bad script and story flow. Ewan, Natalie and Liam are world class actors, and had they had better script to work with, the PT would be viewed in a different light.

vinsanity and Dra--- like this.
  21. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    As long as the production team stays the same or near, it shouldn't be a problem (I guess like the OT). I just don't want to see an incoherent mess due to the fact that they used different writers and directors for each film. :p

But who knows what vision the new directors might have.

22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Well, I think/suspect Michael Arndt will be writing all 3 because I seem to have read that he wrote treatments for all 3. I'd imagine once Ep 7 is done he'll be right on to the other two. This will be great because Disney/Lucasfilm will have scripts to start pre-production as soon as Ep 7 is complete.

For the PT GL sat down and wrote a script, filmed it and repeated. It took 3 years between films. Having the scripts should expedite things. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they filmed Ep 8 & 9 together and then released them a year or two apart.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Yeah, keeping the writing consistent, as well as using the same writer is good for trilogy.

IIRC Lucas did write synopsis for each of the films back in the early 90's, or even earlier than that, but yeah he mostly wrote the films (screenplays ect) fully within those 3 year time periods.

24. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    As long as each movie has a respected and credible director, I think it'd be cool to have a different director for each movie. I just don't want each movie to feel drastically different from each other.

25. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    Temple of Doom, as fond as my memories of it are, is really not that good of a movie--at least when held up to Indy standards. Nolan totally dropped the ball with the last Batman movie IMO. I agree on Jackson tho.

I think that barring a complete flop, Abrams will probably direct the trilogy. Not sure how I feel about it--I think Abrams is up to the job, my only concern is that he is EXTEMELY busy, and that could effect quality/deadlines.