main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should there be gay characters in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Sure, why not? That could actually prove interesting.

2. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I knew this thread would come eventually. So, before reading other people's posts on this thread, here's my thoughts on this issue.

Me being a Christain, I am 100% against being Gay. I hate to use this phrase but "God made adam and even, not adam and steve."

but to put it in a more offical, and appropriate way: Leviticus 18:22 Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable

But in no way does that mean make fun of them! To me, being Gay is a sin, it's put in the same list as lusting, lieing and stuff like that. It's not the worst of the worst, but it is bad. In my opinion. Which brings me to my main point.

I don't want Gay people in the ST, Plain and simple, but that doesn't mean it'll ruin my movie experiance. Maybe if it's a main charicter It could, but i'm not going to gripe and complain on how bad the movies are because of one issue I have with it. I'm not going to make signs and wave them around saying "DOWN WITH THE STAR WARS SEQUELS!" No, on the other hand I might complain about a charicter being gay, if it's a main charicter and all, but other than that, i'm ok with it. Though i'd rather no gay charicters in the movies.

I also think adding a gay charicter in the movies would be bad for the movies because there are more people out there, and some more extreme than me. People who will actually bash the people instead of telling them they think they're opinion is wrong, to me, just rude. And I think that's wrong, you don't bash the people, you tell them you don't agree with their opinion and disscuss it in a civilized way.

But there are people like that, and star wars is a pretty big franchise. There could be bad things that would come from this.

But then again, there good be some good things for Disney threw such a thing, but I think the bad out ways the good.

As I said I just don't agree with the idea of adding Gay charicters.

3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I think Gay jedi would be better than gay sith. I really would like to see some lesbian Bounty Hunters. Its all for progress & progress is good. Disney would get a lot of support.

cwustudent likes this.
  4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I have posted this elsewhere but does it help progress a cause by just portraying a character as being gay for the sake of having a gay character?

Current media is full of examples where this has happened. I don't see how fulfilling some quota or agenda helps a cause.

Why should the sexual orientation of a character even be revealed if it does not add to the story?

I don't want any hidden agendas. Personally I found it a little annoying when Lucas had Chancellor Palpatine using lines from George Bush. It's unnecessary and doesn't enhance my moviegoing experience. If it does aid the story or theme then I'm all for it, but I highly doubt that's what the movies would focus on.

5. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    many male sw fans do act like girls though, especially the pt haters.

6. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    I think both of your points are very valid.

1 is a no-brainer and I think some people jump to the conclusion that it may in some way become overtly sexual.

2, I completely agree that it is a human issue. But how does it help to move the story forward by knowing the sexual orientation of a character if it isn't central to the story? If it helps the story then do it, but I for one have never thought about Yoda's sexual orientation or any number of characters because I didn't feel like it mattered to the story.

THE PortmanLuvva likes this.
  7. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Completely agree. We shouldn't have gay characters so it makes everyone happy. IMO we may have gay characters if like you say, the story calls for it.

Like other posts here say, Star Wars is a place to escape from homophobia and other crap. :rolleyes::D

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Darth Guy

What does acting like a girl mean?

9. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Gay characters would be great for the franchise. Just like being sold to disney is great for the franchise.

cwustudent likes this.
  10. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sure.

I just hope the inevitable love story is something different than a Han/Leia bicker flirt session remake.

cwustudent likes this.
  11. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012

I really can't believe someone quoted Leviticus in a Star Wars forum. 2012 is truly the end.

12. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    I hate to use this phrase but "God made adam and even, not adam and steve." Yeah right you hate to use that phrase![face_rofl]

13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Nothing wrong with quoting the bible here.

Im actually surprised in the amount of people here that are against the idea of implanting a g@y character in the ST, for whatever reasons. What is also surprising is that these people don't seem to be getting a lot of hateful flack for their opinion, it really shows the maturity here. In other forums i have gone to, i have seen people post about disagreeing with homosexuality, or not liking the idea of possibly having a g@y character put into piece of fiction (like that argument of whether to include more g@y or bi characters in ME3, or even change the sexuality of characters from straight to bi), they are often called bigot or homophobes or a lot of other cruel names for that. Thankfully that doesn't seem to be happening here. It's nice that both sides can discuss and argue in a more civilized manner.

14. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    that's really rude

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Romantic relationships are just such a small aspect of Star Wars outside of the main characters even the very acknowledgement of marriages or being in a relationship occurs for a small number of characters outside of the main cast. Anakin and Padme was pretty much the only relationship for the prequels and Han and Leia for the OT. Which also makes me think about how even female characters are lacking. Family Guy even joked about Leia hating Mon Mothma because she's the "only other woman in the Galaxy." It's not much different with the prequels. You had a bunch of men, with their alien sidekick (Jar Jar instead of Chewbacca - though his role was significantly reduced in AOTC and ROTS), and then a single woman amongst the heroes (even having two female protagonists amongst the core characters would be groundbreaking for the Star Wars films).

The pairing of Anakin and Padme was essential, that between Han and Leia was not essential to the story, but it may have seemed awkward had it not developed. Had Han and Leia been the only two humans stuck together for the extent of ESB but it remained strictly business because Han is gay and never makes a move, or he spends all this time pursuing her only for her to tell him that he's barking up the wrong tree. Or nothing happens because they simply do not like each other and don't evolve out of that mutual dislike.

For the rest of the characters, I see very little opportunity to show a gay character by virtue of the fact that it's pretty much always business for the characters, the characters never really just sit down and chat about their lives. So it's not like we'd find out that Obi-Wan is gay through any kind of dialogue. Lets assume that the character was gay, why would that ever come up?

It's not the same as hiring actors representing racial minorities. For that all that is required is to hire an actor of a certain race, have them simply walk across the screen and you're good. That's not the same with a gay character. That's not something that is conveyed visually, unless they were to really play into stereotypes which would be more of a cause for offense, I'd think. You would instead have to include dialogue or visually show it, would would just feel forced IMO, since relationships of any kind - not just homosexual relationships - are never really touched upon for anyone beside a male and [the only] female lead.

In the existing trilogies I can think of only a couple opportunities to show a homosexual relationship without fundamentally altering any details:

-Luke lives at home with his "uncles" or "aunts"
    -Have Owen's mother buy, free and marry Shmi
    -Have Bail offer to take Leia because he and his male partner had always talked about adopting a baby girl

I really can't think of much beyond that aside from just adding things like two same-sex extras holding hands in the background or something like that, but that would be far more peripheral.

To me it's like asking for there to be a gay character in Lord of the Rings. Romance was such a small part of it aside from Aragorn's relationship. The only other two were Sam's peripheral relationship with Rosie (was that her name?) and Faramir's relationship.The opportunities were few and it just seems like something to alter just for the sake of having it and drawing attention to it.

It would feel less forced to me if the next Disney Princess were a lesbian and her story were written about how she was to have an arranged marriage to some guy and how she rebels and finds acceptance in being with a woman instead. Also seems like that would have a much greater positive effect anyway in that I think showing people that its OK and acceptable at a younger age (when they're kids) would do better to stop ignorance and prejudice when older.

16. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
  17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    So is calling one's sexuality "detestable".

18. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Thank you.

cwustudent likes this.
  19. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Luke should find a jedi who has been hidden for years....gets feelings for him during a recuse mission.....They kiss each other .....only to find out its his brother because padme had triplets. Which are twins from a certain point of view.

Ben!!!! you got alot of explaining to do!!!!

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Also if I was a woman I would be a lesbian.

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  21. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    ...And heeeeere we go.

My opinion is, why the hell not? Wasn't there a big scandal about Jabba's kidnapped nephew or whoever in TCW movie being 'gay', just because he wore baubles and talked with a lilt?

I don't think it should be done just to do it, though. And if they're going to start cranking out "very special episodes" of SW, we may be done for (Leia: "These feelings you're having, with time, you will grow to understand them."). Any sort of forcing or crowbarring an issue into the plot is bad writing. What's next? Gungan tree-huggers chained to Naboo saplings?

For those who have a problem with gay characters, remember way back when blacks weren't in film, but it was white guys in blackface? Or how about when women couldn't be in the theater? The times they are a changing.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, the film did not feature a gay baby, amazingly enough. A Hutt involved in the kidnapping was modeled after Truman Capote.

23. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Bear in mind, Hutts have no gender and reproduce asexually.

24. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    At any rate, there probably won't be any gay characters for the same reason there is sound in space, no gore, and no graphic sex scenes.
    Because it's Star Wars.

But if they went right under our noses like Karen Traviss did with Breviin I wouldn't really care.

TychoCorde likes this.
  25. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    That was it. Wow - the stink that character caused. I need to rewatch it now - was pretty good, actually.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.