main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should there be gay characters in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jedi Mountain, Nov 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Don't ask, don't tell?

2. Plebeian

Plebeian Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Something like that.

3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, rude is belittling a group of people for no legitimate reason and acting as if they don't have a place in entertainment, the fictional universe they love, or the world at large for no other reason than the people they're attracted to. That's rude. You don't get a free pass for being an ******* just because you quote a millennia-old book full of antiquated, ridiculous excuses for morality.

And before anyone even dares suggest my post is offensive, you'd better take a look at some of the crap being thrown around in this thread first.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Pfluegermeister - the bulk of that is very well thought out and sounds to me like an acceptable and potentially interesting scenario, but I do think you're making a few logical leaps that I don't think are really necessary. For one, the movie purist audience still doesn't know the backstory of Han and Lando's falling out (and I doubt Lucas himself has much of an idea, really), so there's nothing about the character being female that would change that. The notion of her stealing a woman away from Han is interesting, but I think you're making the mistake of boiling "Londa's" entire character down to just her sexual preference, when really, any argument Han and Lando could've had could just as easily have been had by Han and Londa - including a fight over a women. Secondly, the thing about "what kind" of lesbian Londa is is also pretty reductive in that in assumes all gay women need to be one thing or another, when in reality they occupy just as broad a range of personality types as any other demographic group. It's true that audience prejudice might make a lot of people quick to lump her into the "butch" stereotype if, say, she had short hair, or "lipstick" if she wore a lot of jewelry, but that's not the movie's problem.

When you ask me about addressing those "minor concerns", I'm really not sure what you're asking. You certainly made the point that it wouldn't be quite as simple as just casting a woman in the role instead of a man, but my main point was that it would be a pretty perfect example of establishing a character as gay without "forcing" a romantic subplot or a politically correct message into the story--and you seem to be agreeing with that.
    All I'd really say to this is, is murder a sin? Both good and bad characters commit murder in the Star Wars movies. You mention lying specifically. Obi-Wan, one of the big heroes, tells a rather infamous series of lies in the movies. Why is it important to you that SW conform to Christian moral beliefs where homosexuality is concerned, but not anywhere else?

As it happens, there are some Christians out there who object to the Star Wars franchise as a whole, because it depicts a godless society where people have magic powers and haven't accepted Christ as their savior. Star Wars is without a doubt not a flawlessly Christian movie series, but the question is, where does one choose to draw the line--and why--on the extent to which they'll allow it to be non-Christian?
    Well, now I've heard everything.

5. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I thought Jango liked girls...

6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Come to think of it, IIRC Jango didn't care to see a naked Zam and also resisted this:

[​IMG]

:p

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sheeka_Tull

8. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    So he thinks with his brain. That's a good thing.

9. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    And even lost it during AOTC.

10. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    lol....wtf ..........bear in mind "they are not real"?

Panakas_Dawg likes this.
  11. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    If any character is gay it's probably Lando. Seriously. No straight man can wear capes and still be that smooth.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  13. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Lando is seriously gay.

14. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    Who freaking cares? Does Jar Jar count?

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Eh, well I wouldn't go that far and say that. Pretty much, I wouldn't mind, but I don't think a flamboyant obviously gay character would be a welcome sign to those that have issues with homophobia. I guess you can't make everyone happy, unless you're a smart writer and could work around it.

Esg likes this.
  16. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    You know at first I was tepid to the idea because I'd like to avoid unnecessary romances but, increasingly, I actually want them do put gay characters (especially gay families) in the Saga. Let those who don't like it complain. Then hopefully, they can leave and go on with their lives. Certainly, it'd be no great loss to the fandom.

17. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    It would add more variety and realism to the galaxy.

Contessa and Esg like this.
  18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    That's certainly true. I mean, we've had interspecies romances in various Star Wars media before. I honestly don't understand why people find a relationship between two humans of the same sex to be more controversial than that.

19. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I think we need Indians in Episode 7. I just don't like that many things of my world, are not actually represented in the GFFA. So why not native Americans? If done, it would sure add to realism. Sure they technically can't be from America, but at least look like Indians.

Abortion is something i want to. You can't expect me to believe, that abortion simply does not exist at all in the GFFA. Sure we haven't seen it yet in star wars, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist in the GFFA. So i think, perhaps showing a controversial subject like abortion, perhaps have a story, in which the main female character is pregnant with an unwanted pregnancy, could benefit star wars.

What about transgenders? Shouldn't a transgender character be added as well? After all, it would be hard to believe thatno one of the GFFA believes that his gender does not fit his sex.

20. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    You mean "smoove." :cool: ;)

21. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Maybe because the interspecies romances are still between male and female?

22. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    Well when a male Human is in love with a female Bothan, something is odd there. :p

Esg likes this.
  23. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    No. I don't want to see Star Wars turned into the butt of political wars, which is what it will be if they create a gay character.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't know whats more depressing. You calling yourself Christian and misspelling it or that fact that you have all these likes

Really as a christian myself who cares what some religious wack jobs will think? Not everyone has the same beliefs and you have no right to force them on others.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    SW has been about polictics son. See Nute Gunray or how A New Hope had political commentary of it's own

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.