main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Empire=bad?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    What was so bad about the Empire? Yeah they had the DS and Palps was all evil but in the regular-joe's life was it really that bad under the Emperor? No more corrupt senators, the clone wars is over, etc. Why did the rebellion even start?

2. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    There was a great deal of anti-alien sentiment in the empire as well as slaving. That's at least one good reason. But the main reason was the suspension of democracy under Palpatine's authoritarian rule. Wars have been started on less.

Sent from the future using psychic implants.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    The Senate wasn't dissolved until Anh. The empire hated most nonhumans, enslaved the wookiees, and committed many atrocities.

4. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Is this happening again?

5. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Seems like it..

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I was just thinking the same thing.

thesevegetables likes this.
  7. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    Has any empire ever been good? There's a reason Episode V wasn't called The Democracy Strikes Back

8. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    The notion of 'Empire' is generally seen as bad most of the time.

I mean, its a monarchy/dictatorship and autocratic society. Its pro-human, anti-alien. Slavery. They committed extreme atrocities and ruled through fear. The fact is, Republics/democracies don't apparently do that.

But you see they have swanky uniforms and interesting characters. So that is their bonus.

9. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    What atrocities? Why did people live in fear (other than the DS)?

10. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    OH MY GOD. NOT THIS AGAIN.

I will post links to the threads with Lord_Tyrannus.

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
  12. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
  13. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    What atrocities? Why did people live in fear (other than the DS)?[/quote]

How much of the EU have you read. Not sure how much i can put in this forum.

14. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Its actually amazing how often these thread titles are reused.

15. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    How much of the EU have you read. Not sure how much i can put in this forum.[/quote]

You don't even need to know ANY EU to know that the Empire is baaaaaad and eviiiiiiiiil and must be destroyed at all costs.

edit: ew quote problems

16. darthbarracuda

Nov 4, 2012
    How much of the EU have you read. Not sure how much i can put in this forum.[/quote]

I know a decent amount of post-clone wars EU, but I don't own any EU material. I really want to get the Thrawn Trilogy and the NJO

17. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    most of the atrocities happened during the Imperial era.
    i mean, they landed star destroyers on a group of protestors because they were on the landing strip.
    Palpatine ordered a planet be obliterated from space and then used the remains of it to train his recruits up for his own Red Guard.
    There was the Ithorian's home planet became infected with some anti-environment plague, similar thing happened to the Noghri home planet.

Never mind the whole enslavement of Wookies, Talz, Sullustans and Trandoshans and pretty much anyone who disagreed with Imperial rule....

18. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
  19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Curse my old indoctrinated westernized brain for having difficulty with the concept of even needing to explain why totalitarian dictatorships are considered very, very bad in our society.

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    The phrase is "Don't feed the trolls". Certainly not dead ones. Can't we just forget that imbecile ever existed?

To answer the thread's question, here's some text that might shed some light on the matter:

Now, unless anyone wants to argue against the infallibility of whatever in-universe being actually writes those big yellow opening scrolls (a Whill? the Force?), I think that settles it. Lock thread.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I still exist....

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The enslavement of the Wookies, Talz, Sullustans, and Trandoshans, meant a very simple thing. They were not humans. Are you saying that our government and that our farmers are evil for keeping pigs, cows, goats, sheep, horses, chickens, roosters, on farms as "slaves? That is absurd....

I liked the Thrawn Trilogy a lot!!

23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Do we have a scale for this? I mean, how many innocent planets did the Empire/Emperor/Lord Darth Vader/the imperials officers and soldeirs want to use the Death Stars on? In the expanded universe, there are quadrillions of people living within the Empire. Is this a just war? How many planets worth saving justify the deaths of millions, and/or even billions, on both sides of the war-the rebels alliance and the imperial army??

And as a response to Darth Nub, this discussion/thread should NOT be closed. It's is very interesting for me to talk about the Galactic Empire. This is a very good topic. I think that the title should be changed to "did the rebels wage a just war"? Because we all know about the evil things that the Galactic Empire does!!! The question is, were they really worth fighting against, and having billions dying in a war to defeat and rebel against them??

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    We could ask the people of Alderaan what they think about the evilness of the Empire. Oh. Wait.

You can't really say say, "Besides the Death Star, what was really that evil about the Empire?" It's like asking, "Other then killing millions of Jews, were the Nazis really that bad? They had a couple of other good ideas."

25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    There is no question that the Galactic Empire was evil, but the question was, was it a just war. The Nazis didn't need to do anything else to be considered evil, isn't the Holocaust enough to make them be considered evil, sickos, bad people???

The Empire had no plans whatsoever of destroying planets on a large scale after Alderaan was vaporized....

I watched Episodes 5 and 6 and I never heard any mention of destroying/and/or annihilating, so-and-so, planet! They had no plans, at all! Even if they did, I read the EU Expanded Universe, and quadrillions of people inhabited/lived in the Galactic Empire. Is saving one planet worth a war that billions die in? Or two planets? Or dozens of planets???

Even without the Death Star, the "good guys" would still hate the Galactic Empire!!! They wanted to restore the Republic, avenge Palpatine for starting the Clone Wars and coming to power in an unjust war. The US exists because of what the early/earlier settlers did to the Native American Indians, but that happened in the past. People worry about the future, not about the past!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.