main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books The Old Republic: Annihilation by Drew K

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Todd the Jedi , Feb 29, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's not good to hear, considering Satele is far and away the most interesting character of this period for me. Of course, I suppose she doesn't have a large amount of characterization to contradict- only thing we've really got is the Jedi Knight storyline and two comics (and a trailer, but all that shows is that she's a badass)- but if Satele is characterized anything like Bastila in Revan, count me out.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    There is dark side of her if you play Empire story, while she was not directly involved.

I also like her a lot as imperial.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What does Drew butcher this time I ask?

Zorrixor and instantdeath like this.
  4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Darth Gravus got ruined and killed, Satele's characterization sucks, too. Jace and Theron are decent, the dark council members are fine, especially Marr.

5. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Drew does do eeevvvviiiillll well, as long as he doesn't do it with characters previously established as interesting :p

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I need more info

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well she didn't act or talk like a Grand Master in the new novel, lack of the wisdom and confidence she should have, she was just like a divorced woman, worried too much about her relationship with her lover and son. She acted like this even to that Twillik smuggler, not to say before her son and Jace. Also she asked to aid her son with Jace but didn't provide any help.

It's just my own taste, maybe someone will have different opinion.

GrandMasterKatarn and Esg like this.
  8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ugh so he fails at writing dames yet again

GrandMasterKatarn likes this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    [​IMG]

I mean, I'll have to read it, but I do not like the way that sounds one bit.

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well I think she should be a very strong woman who could even permit some dirty actions, so that's my feeling, it may not be that accurate. She mostly just react with these 2 in the book.

Oh, she did talk about left Jace because he "let hatred filled him" and keep her duty, but overall she's a bit too emotional.

11. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Goddamnit Drew K!

12. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The deciding factor for me will be if I think those traits overwhelm her personality. I mean, I totally expect her to be worried about her son (and lover, I suppose... I'm not sure how I feel about that. It certainly puts Kira's comments in the Jedi Knight story, about Satele Shan finding about their relationship eventually in a different light), but she definitely has to come off as someone who's in her position for more than being really good with the Force.

Not that I expect it, or anything. And yeah, the Grandmaster definitely shouldn't be an overly emotional individual.

I'm gonna spend a painful amount of time on a plane next week, will have to try to knock out both Lost Tribe and Annihilation.

Esg likes this.
  13. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    One thing is for sure, Gravus, the cunning Sith behind the victory of Taris is totally ruined by this book.

14. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    On to a lighter note, do you think there are any possible hints for future expansion packs in the novel? I imagine not, since Karpyshyn is no longer with Bioware, but you never know. At one point I thought Revan would surely make an appearance (him being related to Theran and Satele and all, and he being an enormously popular character whose plotline was left dangling and is an obvious choice for a theme for an expansion), but since it seems that opportunity was pissed away...

15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I liked killing Thana

She was a total Jabroni

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice. 'Cause I totally know who that is. :p

Sounds like it will once more be beneficial to not have played the game in order to actually enjoy the novel.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Anyone who hasn't played the game shouldn't read Drew K as he'll kill any enthusiasm by association

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well here's the thing- I greatly enjoyed SWDBPODANOTOR; hadn't read Jedi vs. Sith. Enjoyed Revan well enough; hadn't play KOTOR I or II. So, since I haven't played TOR, I'm assuming I will like Annihilation.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    So Drew K really does ruin the previous comics and games from the time period he is dealing with?

GrandMasterKatarn and Esg like this.
  20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I am dissapoint
    You have no idea. Revan was a abomination. The KOTOR II fans misjudge TOR on it's terribleness

21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    From a certain point of view. ;)

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

23. johnthejedi24

johnthejedi24 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 12, 2004
    I got the book today and I'm only on page 82, it's slow going and none of the characters really stand out to mean in any big way, and to put it bluntly its pretty bland, I'm usually half way through a brand new Star Wars novel by now but this one is not really flowing for me.

24. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that if you pre-ordered from Amazon UK you'll probably be getting an email that it is delayed til mid-December. (I know I did). I've already cancelled and ordered it from the US site (along with a couple of other items the UK site didn't have in stock).

25. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I ordered it yesterday and got that email too...

Amazon UK seems to be getting really bad with particular Star Wars books lately. I never used to have this problem -- heck, we got Book of Sith a month early! And there doesn't seem to be any particular logic behind why they're ordering in stock of Book A but not Book B, as I've not noticed any link between books they know they'll sell and those that they might be unsure how many to keep in stock.