main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thank You George

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by artooo, Nov 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Although Lucas will never see this, I feel that with all of the criticism Lucas has taken over the years we as Star Wars fans should express our gratitude...because the sale of Lucasfilm to Disney means more than anything, that Lucas obviously will not be around forever.

Now, don't get me wrong. I DESPISE the prequels. They should have been the greatest film events ever. Instead we got midichlorians, jar jar, "hold me by the river", "nooo", and all of the other nonsense.

But Lucas created Star Wars, he gave us this gift and at the very least I could understand what he was trying to do with the prequels. He just lost his way a little bit, it happens to all of us.

Now, he's set up Star Wars to continue in perpetuity(and hopefully get back to what it once was) so that we the fans can continue to enjoy it.

For everything you have given us including everything to come, thank you George.

2. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I grew up with and very much love the OT... but I also love the PT and I say thank you to George for both and for allowing the Star Wars universe to continue indefinitely into the future!

3. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Here's to all the times that you said there won't be a sequel trilogy.

4. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    Same here . Grew up with the OT and for many years nothing can touch Empire as my Favorite movie. I really enjoy the PT movies almost as much as the OT and find myself watching them a lot more lately. I still not a big fan of TPM but I enjoy AOTC and absolutely love ROTS. Anyway I'm not sure where the new trilogy will fall for me, but no mater what I will get the opportunity to enjoy brand new SW movies in the theaters with my sons which is amazing in itself. So yes Thank you George!!

5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    RotS to me is the 2nd best Star Wars movie of all time.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  6. Chosen_Jedi74

Chosen_Jedi74 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2005
    ROTS is very close to Empire as my favorite for me. Watching Empire as a child had an impact on me that will last forever. I don't remember a lot of things at the age of six but I will never forgot how I felt leaving the theater that night after watching Empire. As an adult I felt like watching Star Wars again when I first saw ROTS especially after the being somewhat disappointed by the first two. It took me awhile to Except TPM and AOTC and after a few viewings I really consider AOTC a really enjoyable film to watch but ROTS gave me the chills when I first watched it opening night and I still do. It will be fun to see which of the of the three of the new trilogy or if any will have the same impact on me as ROTS and Empire.

Dranem and ThatWanFromStewjon like this.
  7. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    George Lucas SHAPED my childhood. Thank you Uncle George.

8. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    I hesitated coming into the thread as I suspected it would be laced with irony and the like (and I'm sure some haters will come along), but I'm glad to be wrong.

I don't agree with you at all about the Prequels, Artoo, but I like the sentiment and of your post and the appreciation of Lucas' place in it all - which many people seem to forget.

So well said. :)

9. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    He gave us one of the greatest Sci-fi sagas and one of the greatest fictional/fantasy universes. For that he should be proud that he has one of the largest fanbases. It is quality entertainment however we personally feel about it.

ANH is still my favorite though.
    Followed by ROTJ

10. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    This quote is one of the the best I've seen from someone who hated the prequels. I wish more people felt this way, and it actually reflects my feelings about the prequels, even though I love them. For me the good stuff outweighed the bad, but I can see that he went astray in a few areas.

I worry that, since the prequels, George will never be fully appreciated for the awesome universe he's created. I really hope people stop with all the hate and start celebrating the love a bit more...

The_Hellhammer likes this.
  11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    See? We can all get along. :p

12. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    If the Prequels had arrived before the Internet was so frequently used, most of its "haters" would actual share artooo's sentiment in that regard. It is the anonymity that the Internet provides that and the the way over the top hype that resulted in people reacting the way the do. The fact that they can't let go of the tired old clichés is astounding.

The thread is a credit to you, artooo. You seem a reasonably minded old skin. ;)

Moog likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I have always felt that George has been under appreciated by the movie industry and some fans. I think its long past due that Lucas be recognized for his contribution to film with a lifetime achievement Golden Globe or Oscar.

ThatWanFromStewjon, Moog and Alexrd like this.
  14. lightsaver

lightsaver Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2005
    The first time I got to watch the original trilogy they were being shown on NBC in the early 90's, around the time Batman Returns came out, I was at least 6 at the time. 4 years later I got to see the special editions in theater and that was that. I remember watching them every day for what seemed like forever. Then TPM came out when I was 12, I had a complete blast with it and (even though i got spoiled to death on TFN) AOTC was great fun, ROTS only a few years after that and then I graduated from High School.

I'm 25 now and have 2 younglings of my own ages 5 years old and 3 months. George's visions have literally brought me 19 years and are still fun for my family as it is for plenty of others. Now I see what my mom meant about being able to watch it when she was a kid was so exciting, but watching me enjoy them was even more exciting. And now MY children get to see the PT, OT AND ST in theaters.

George, your films made me want to make films, I'm still trying my best to get my first script locked down but without you and without the galaxy you created and put your heart and soul into and took repeated hits for "destroying" other peoples childhoods, know that you never hurt mine and your brilliance and dedication still continue to inspire new generations of star wars fans and will continue to do so until the sun sets its final set on our own backwater planet. Thank you, George, thank you..

special mention to artooo for being the first civil PT disliker I've ever heard, good on ya.

15. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    He got the important one ;)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  16. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Pretty cool that each set of trilogies comes along to match each of the generations of your family.

I've been their for all three :eek:

17. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I do worry that George has effectively been bullied out of his own franchise and worry about the kind of message that sends out to haters/trolls, etc... I think when Katie started being dragged into the hate on Twitter that may have been the final straw. Who knows?

However it was generous of Lucas to not only sell Lucasfilm and Star Wars on to Disney, but to allow them to make more movies. The Sequel Trilogy wasn't something he had to do when he sold his buisness to Disney, so we should thank him for that.

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  18. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Like some of you, I grew up with the OT (Empire Strikes Back is my earliest movie memory) and they hold a special place in my heart, but I also have room for the prequels. I swear if it wasn't for the internet I would have no idea that there was so much vitriol towards them. I can only imagine if Return of the Jedi had been released in the internet age...

Anyway though, I too would like to thank George Lucas. No matter what, he did the movies the way he wanted to and created some lasting characters in both the original and prequel trilogies and brought true mythology back into our popular conscience. I will always prefer the originals, but when I want to bond with my son over Star Wars its always the prequels or Clone Wars cartoon. That's the great thing about Star Wars, you can embrace some parts, ignore others, or love the whole thing. Every generation will experience differently, and that is just fine by me. That is true art defined, when it hits different people in different ways.

19. My favorite Ithorian

My favorite Ithorian Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 1999
    The 4 billion dollar check you mean? [face_thinking]

20. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    If it were not for the internet, I wouldn't be aware that there was anyone who liked the PT. The knowledge that there are people out there who genuinely at least pretend to if not actually love these piles of crap has tempered my personal disgust with GL and caused me to recognize that in the scheme of things, the couple of nuggets of film he got right, far outweigh all of the PT's and Howard the Ducks. At the end of the day, I am able to get to a place where what I feel towards George Lucas is thankfulness that he was at least able to birth this thing so that we could one day, (October 30, 2012) find ourselves in a place where we are all, no matter what our divisions, able to look forward to Star Wars Freaking 7!

21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    The AFI.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You have to wonder about some people!!! :(

I'd like to believe though that he just passed on the duties because he wanted the story told but didn't want stress and burden that he always puts on himself.

And Katie is a great writer - her episodes are among my favourites - and I only discovered during the summer that she was the writer.

I also liked the last ForceCast (never listened to one until today) and one of the guys said people should appreciate Star Wars for what it is and not what they think it should be :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.