main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series CW Grade the Episode: S05E07: A Test of Strength

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Nov 14, 2012.

?

How do you grade this episode?

1. 10/10

20.5%
  2. 9/10

23.1%
  3. 8/10

30.8%
  4. 7/10

10.3%
  5. 6/10

7.7%
  6. 5/10

5.1%
  7. 4/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2/10

2.6%
  10. 1/10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    You guys know the drill.

Poll results are available by clicking on the number of votes next to each score.

That being said, we'd still prefer you to post with your score and what you liked and disliked

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    This was a brilliant episode and one of my favorites from the entire series.

+Hondo was brilliant with Ahsoka in this episode
    +Ahsoka was incredible with her strategy
    +The younglings were well-used
    +David Tennant is possibly the best voice actor ever on the show, he was brilliant
    +Huyang was a great character and taking on a Weequay without his head and arms? = SUPREME BADASS
    +The boarding sequence was beautifully animated and reminiscient of ANH
    +The airlock sequence at the end was brilliant and Ahsoka's capture was written in a very interesting fashion
    +Loved the TESB homage with Gungi carrying Huyang
    +Since Harry Potter is my all-time obsession, this is my favorite homage of the series
    +Loved the continuity discussion with Onderon, adds more flow
    +I loved the ANH-style opening of the hatch.
    +Overall, brilliant episode, brilliant characterization, and Young Jedi is easily becoming one of my favorite arcs ever.
    10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This one gets a 9/10. Yes, I'm going to take a point for putting Ahsoka's butt in my face when she was crawling in the damn ventilation shaft. Other than that this is the 2nd episode in the season I've really enjoyed. Hard to say if that's more than "Revival". This episode had great pacing. The characters all worked well together. Hondo is pretty badass standing up to Ahsoka in this one. There was even some well used humor in this one. Excellent job with this one. Great improvement over "The Gethering" which was a tad boring. With any luck this arc will keep going strong from here.

CT-867-5309 and Dark-Fox like this.
  4. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    no offense but that is hilarious

i give this episode a 10/10

5. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Shouldn't this be s05e07?

I'm giving this episode an 8/10.

6. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    All sorts of comments spring to mind from your first sentence @Seerow but I won't go there!

I liked Ahsoka, the initiates and Hondo but thought the pirates weren't threatening enough. I guess it's a fine balance to get right when younglings are involved but I didn't feel they were under threat at anytime because the pirates were too comical.

That being said, any episode that expands the lore of the SW universe especially where it concerns jedi is always welcome. So I think A Test Of Strength gets 8/10 for the droid alone.

7. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    9/10.
    Minus a point for the plot convenience of having younglings supervised by a padawan just floating around in space somewhere building lightsabers.

8. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    Yeah, didn't Master Yoda make a point of saying go back to the Temple?

Ahsoka is disobeying orders again [face_shame_on_you]

9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Lol, but I just didn't want to see that. x.x;

10. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    I really wanted to hate this arc. But...

+ David Tennant was brilliant* [face_tee_hee] as Huyang
    + The younglings are further fleshed out, and manage to be likeable
    + This and the previous episode feel a lot like the OT (in a good way!). The OT feel is something TCW seemed to lose about half-way through season 2 and something that I've sorely missed.

I realize the alt boards will crucify me for this one but:

9/10.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    A Test of Strength is Episode 7 not 6 :p

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Good point. I find myself liking this arc a lot. Maybe cause of the fact that TCW is having fun with what it has and not just **** up some flawed messages like on Umbara.
    There are homages but they are geniusly hidden and subtle. Something Umbara was not and especially Onderon was not. :D
    Like with all the Chewbacca references or Luke references.

13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    8/10.

Tennant was phenomenal, Bad Hondo was great, a couple of minor irritating points.

This arc is pretty awesome halfway through.

14. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    8/10

David Tennant, enough said. The doctor has blessed Star Wars.

I must admit, this arc is actually rather good. Far better than Onderon was at this point.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    7/10

This was a little better than The Gathering, but it had more Ahsoka, so I can't give it too high a score.

Huyang was great, and the youngsters (I don't like calling them younglings, they seem too old for that) are starting to grow on me. It had great animation, but that seems to be the norm this season, so yays all around. [face_party]
    I'm sorry, I just have to single this out again. It's just awful. :p

Seriously, Akash, you're a cool dude and I agree with pretty much all your points (on this episode at least), but this.... this is too much. [face_talk_hand]

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    To each their own man. You got your points, I got mine, simple as that.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah. Ima just grumble over here in my corner with all the other Ahsoka haturz. [face_frustrated]

And the title of this thread is still wrong, meh.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

18. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    I really liked this one; nice plot, the lightsaber building scene was solid (also good use of Petro's incorrectly put-together saber later on in the episode), Doctor Huyang is a great new character and I like him quite a bit, Hondo was really as usual and he and his gang were suitable bad guys here and it was good that Ahsoka didn't feel as useless as in the previous episode; the fight between her and Hondo was really good (especially when they practically flew down the corridors as they were on the way to get sucked out of the ship) and the lead-in to the follow-up with Ahsoka being captured by Hondo and his crew was nice. At the moment I cannot think of anything I disliked about it. 9/10

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Only 25 votes and one page of discussion. What happened? What's with the lack of participation?

More Jedi saber training, more Jedi wish fulfillment for the kiddies. And maybe for me.

PROS
    • Wookiee choosing wood. That's a lay up and they got it.
    • Kids floating lightsaber pieces. Looked great.
    • Fantastic animation of how a lightsaber is constructed, perhaps the greatest detail we've seen in entire Star Wars media.
    • Very nice boarding action.
    CONS
    • I thought Huyang was kinda lame. I know he's the storyteller for the kiddies, I just didn't particularly care for him.
    • TCW has managed to make me tired of Hondo already.
    With the way Ahsoka has been portrayed, I was wondering why she didn't just pwn the entire pirate boarding party, she's certainly come off as powerful enough in the past. Are they trying to scale her back? Keep in mind I didn't have a problem with it, it was reasonable choice to keep the plot they wanted. Just wondering, is all.

Ahsoka getting sucked off the ship was actually quite reasonable, a solid way to move the plot forward.

Another very simple, yet effective episode.

9/10

At the moment of this post there were 25 votes for an average score of 8.32.

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  20. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Going to go with 9/10 for this one.

I could watch David Tennant's roll in this episode all day. Hondo was Hondo, just as he always is. When he made his first appearance, my mother summed him up nicely "Is he out of his mind?". Yeah, probably.

Only lost a point because Hondo seemed to keep changing his mind on if he was going to kill everybody onboard or not whether or not they cooperated.

21. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I have to agree that I would like to see more participation in the actual discussion of grading the episodes. If you click on the number of votes you can see the names of who voted. Its very disappointing.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Can't rate this as high as The Gathering because it didn't deal with the very nature of the Force and Jedi Knighthood as directly and constantly, but still a solid episode. Good action, the droid teacher had to grow on me but I really like the idea now, and best of all the design of the ship felt very OT and as AkashKedavra_93 pointed out when they blow open the hatch it feels VERY much like the opening of Ep. IV which I think is amazing.

8/10

23. kenobifan1999

kenobifan1999 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    7/10

better episode... however still pretty stupid and uninteresting

24. Scimitar13

Scimitar13 Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2013
    Sorry for bumping an old thread. But, I would give this episode a 8/10. David Tennant was awesome, he is one of my favorite actors so I was quite glad to see him as a part of Star Wars!