main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    Pretty funny to see everyone geeking out all over again. :D

2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Just the X-wing series as an ongoing series on TV would be awesome... Then there'd be the made for TV movies and so forth. I could so see them doing the Thrawn Trilogy as a miniseries or made for TV movies. Plus there'd be tons of stuff that could be spun off the new films.

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    You could do the first portion of the X-wing series setting up the fall of Coruscant to the newly formed New Republic, then have the Thrawn mini-series jump in, then back to the X-wing series! ;)

4. Amphimachus

Amphimachus Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    There is so much potential in the X-Wing and Thawn books to be expanded on in any medium. There's a danger that so much great EU could be lost with Episode VII, but on the other hand the sky is the limit for what they could do with it now if they keep it intact. Exciting times.

5. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    firstpost -
    ihave just been lookng at the official timeline - there is a 60 yr gap between 44 and 104 yrs after battle of Yavin that is our time frame for new trilogy!

Keeper of the whills episode 9 i think R2 only original characterto survive

Mato_Jack likes this.
  6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Current Assumption: Luke, Leia and Han are involved in the Storyline.

Based on that assumption, how does your timeline work?

8. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    a

9. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    its obvious that this segment of time has always been left open, Lucas alwys wanted to do 9 i believe - luke is alive but banished and as far as i can see Leia is still alive too -- Han or other solo will appear

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i should say ive never read any EU im an episode man :)

DarthBreezy likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    First of all, welcome.

The current conventional wisdom is that Luke, Leia and Han will have some role in the ST. If the ST time period is 44-104 after BOY, then what role would very old Luke, Leia and Han have in the ST

12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    nearly 40 years have passed almost in real time hence why Hamill under some sort of contract luke will be obi wan figure, Han old general type

13. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012

Easy. Very simply the ST should begin sometime between 45 and 50ABY, with the big 3 as the wise old sages and Jaina Solo and Ben Skywalker as the young protagonists to focus the (totally original) story on. Not too difficult to do and it works perfectly.

A) The big 3 could pass as 45 years older than their OT-selves.
    B) Jaina(36) and Ben(18) are the perfect IU age to take the baton from the big 3.
    C) Blank slate for a bad*** original story to be told that isn't obstructed by the EU, nor drops a deuce on it.

Everyone's happy.

14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think it makes sense and all the EU fanboys can breathe a sigh of relief as mosts of the EU will prolly be left intact.

15. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    totally agree - may even get a bit of the end of second galacgtic war just for reference as many fans dont know EU

16. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think you guys are right. My math skills failed me miserably.

17. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    No worries, bro. It remains to be seen whether TPTB will agree with this line of thinking or not. I hope they will, but a good chance they won't.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  18. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There is a reason for the Gap 44aby - 104aby & it must be that Episode 7 is set 40 years after Episode 6 now the only question is how long does the 7,8 &9 trilogy last 5-10 years ? & where does the 10,11 & 12 trilogy fit I would say around 74-84 aby because each trilogy is suppose to tell the next generation of Skywalkers .

19. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    interesting theory. Could certainly make things interesting if that does happen.

20. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    This has been what I've been expecting. No need to even acknowledge what has gone down in the EU, as Star Wars never gives much of a history lesson anyway.

Classic Star Wars setup is pretty much... here's the situation, here are the players, let's watch it play out.

kainee likes this.
  21. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    Finally, someone makes a thread with perhaps the most important piece of information that EVERYONE seems to be overlooking, lol! Two MAJOR reasons why Episode VII will begin around 45ABY:

1.) Like Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, the timeline will (more or less) fit the age of the actors. Luke and Leia will be 64, and Han will be 74. Mark Hamill will be 62-63, Carrie Fisher 58-59, and Harrison Ford 72-73. As for the kids, Jaina Solo will be 36, Ben Skywalker 19, and Allana Solo 9. It all works out perfectly if the hero or heroine is around Ben Skywalker's age, in fact, I'm thinking the main character might be a girl who ends up becoming the love interest of Ben (if the kids are even shown in the first place).

2.) There's a massive EU gap starting in 45ABY, allowing Disney/Lucasfilm to neither contradict the EU or get caught up in it. Everybody wins, aside from the more nitpicky folks.

22. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    can't fault the math......have no idea about what your on about but the math is good....ok the Eu.....dont worry about it ...it will just be ignored

LANDO_ROCKS likes this.
  23. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Exactly... as I've said from day one... only minor things here and there will be affected.. just as with the PT. Nothing major at all.

24. Moorplant

Moorplant Jedi Master

Feb 26, 2004
    It's possible that they do intend to insert the new movies into this gap and then the EU peeps will retcon like mad. But don't forget if VII-IX is successful then they'll carry on and do X-XII etc and the other potential stand alone movies they seemed to be hinting at as well. If that's the case then the 60 year gap starts shrinking more rapidly and I think it would be a mistake to limit themselves to making sure .

With the best will in the world I don't think that's possible. Yeah I think they might use the character names and keep some stuff vague enough that you could retcon some of the post ROTJ EU into it, but inevitably some stuff is going to be washed away. There are quite a few people very upset about the changes TCW made to previously established EU, even though it's been "A Wizard Did it" retconed now. I don't see how having potentially 2 new trilogies and other movies besides post ROTJ doesn't do the same thing on 10x the scale, even if it's set post the current novels. That period is so dense and with so many characters its going to be impossible to line up all the ducks. E.g. The govenment is still The New Republic or is the Galactic Alliance but the Vong never existed, still having Jacen/Jaina but having them both alive but younger and with different personalities and love interests. Or focusing on Allana but her dead father wasn't a Sith etc.

There are ways you can keep what's been happening to "Our Heroes" over the last 40-50 years very vague, have all the current alive characters EU present and let a lot of the baggage and crazy stuff go without being mentioned but whether what they then have to work with creates the best basis for a new era for the saga is another thing.

25. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Like it or not the EU will get ignored, with just a few ideas or characters borrowed from it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.