main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The Crosscurrent/Riptide Jedi Shortage.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tim Battershell, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    There seems to have been a shortage of Jedi around the time of Crosscurrent/Riptide - at least when Jaden reported back in to Luke he was told that there weren't any Jedi available for backup and/or investigation of what Jaden had discovered.

Is this indicative of some 'off-camera' crisis somewhere that we haven't yet been told about?

Any thoughts?

2. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    it is called LOTF and FOTJ ;)

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    C/R are in the gap between those arcs!

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The exact timeframe of the books is unclear where exactly the books sit in the timeline. Crosscurrent has passages which speak of Jacen Solo as if he is still alive, while Riptide might well be taking place very close to, if not intermingled with the beginning of FOTJ. It is just vague in general - most likely due to wiritng errors.

Eventually I suspect it will be viewed as running basically alongside Outcast, or very close to it.

5. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    right we only know Crosscurrent is after Centerpoint raids.. so concurrent with LOTF whereas Riptide might be closer to FOTJ or in the gap. Crosscurrent starts during LOTF and runs past its end maybe.

6. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Right, both are more-or-less at the tail end or just after Invincible - according to the Wook. Although Luke didn't chew Jaden out for going AWOL - and he started Crosscurrent on Coruscant!

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    The situation will not be resolved without some retconning. We've got a two year gap between LOTF and FOTJ - So if Crosscurrent is near Invincible and Riptide near FOTJ we would need to adjust things like Jaden's concerns about not filing a flight plan and his suspect, that by now, "someone would have wondered where he had gone".

Yeah, I suspect if two years went by somewhat might look for ya :p

8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Even if it's between LOTF and FOTJ, this is a time where there has just been a galactic war, where the Jedi Praxeum has been attacked, where the Jedi Order is rebuilding and has gone through multiple relocations and sackings in a short period of time, where galactic peace is still on a knife edge...

I'm not overly surprised there wasn't anyone free to help Jaden out with his funny feelings.

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    An Imperial cloning lab with Kam, Mara, Jaden, Luke and other clones - all Dark-siders is rather more than 'funny feelings'!

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, all the Jedi in the Order are just sitting around on their asses in the Temple all day long. I'm guessing Corran lost the keys to the hangar bay, so the entire Order were all in the middle of just shrugging and waiting around for the locksmith. At least, this is what FOTJ leads me to believe.

RC-1991 and Dawud786 like this.
  11. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Now that you bring it up, aside from Ben and Luke, the Jedi don't get out of the temple much less off Coruscant until the final book.

12. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Perhaps the Duology should have been called "One of our Jedi is missing" books 1 & 2!

13. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    What's his next duology? And whats with that Jaden cliffhanger at the end there?

14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    We don't know -- it's being kept hypersecret!!

Obviously the questions are:

Will Jaden get the truth out of Marr -- either with or without Kyle's help,

Will Jaden go looking for the people responsible -- and will he find Krayt

Will Jaden be turned into an automaton/Sith by the code-phrase.

15. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You forgot one.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  16. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    The way I understand it:
    - They take place after LOTF
    - When Jaden contacted Luke and Luke said everyone was a bit busy --> that was the start of FOTJ, with Luke being prosecuted or whatevs

17. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    The Wook puts Crosscurrent/Riptide about 41.5 ABY, Millenium Falcon (where Leia/Han hear of Luke's arrest) at 43 ABY - start of FotJ.

18. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I'd rather go by what i think Paul S Kemp was intending than what the Wook says

Robimus likes this.
  19. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke was a bit busy at the beginning of FotJ, but the rest of the Jedi weren't - nothing to stop three or four being sent as backup. It was much later on that they were all besieged in the Temple.

20. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Crosscurrent yeah!
    Didn't nobody even know about what happened in that book while it happened? So a ship full of ancient Sith wasn't a top priority because nobody knew the ship had come.

21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Nobody knew while it was happening -- Jaden was attending to Force Vision business and was there by coincidence, without even filing a flight plan. He spoke to Luke after the ship had been dealt with by the ancient Jedi.

22. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    So isn't that the reason he was the only post-RotJ Jedi there?

23. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    No, he asked for backup, but Luke said no Jedi were available to be sent.

24. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Oh, okay. It's been a long time.
    If I was Luke, I would be pretty freaked out at the fact that a huge ship of ancient Sith just showed up from the past! Then again, Luke collaborates with the Lost Tribe, ignores the One Sith, and watches Sith Lords and former Imperial admirals become Chiefs of State, so...

Zorrixor likes this.
  25. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    cause they were too busy dealing with Daala and the action being taken against the Head of their order