main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Computer science is what makes these boards possible.

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    FoxO...immortality

A line I like to apply; I am not sure if I want to liver forever but I would not mind the option.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    ^Incredible. But I wonder what his life is like to himself. He can say he is not in pain. Fine. What else? Does he dream, daydream, sleep, going insane, wonder who won the World Series, just how aware is he?

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  6. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow! Simply awesome and amazing. I love the one about science is true whether you believe it or not.

And the letter from the third grader, grammatical mistakes and misspellings intact, about the orbital body formerly known as the planet Pluto.

7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I should note that that is now the 2nd immortal creature known.

Jellyfish

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Are humans getting dumber?

From Trends in Genetics, Our Fragile Intellect. Part I and Part II.

Analysis of human mutation rates and the number of genes required for human intellectual and emotional fitness indicates that we are almost certainly losing these abilities. If so, how did we get them in the first place, and when did things begin to change?

language follows the increase in endocranial volume and therefore the use of language cannot cause the expansion. Also, note that the appearance of first tools such as spears correlates well with increased cranial volume.

[With] the transition from hunter–gatherer to a more high-density lifestyle, selection based on resistance to infection might have begun to dominate over selection for intellectual or emotional fitness.

"It seems too obvious to state," [author Gerald Crabtree] says, "but the tautology applies: our brains are good at the things they have been selected to be good at." And, Crabtree argues, those things are the spatial and abstract-reasoning capabilities that we developed between 50,000 and 500,000 years ago.

Also another article:

Early humans used stone spear points 500,000 years ago

WASHINGTON — Early humans were already using stone tips to enhance the killing power of spears at least 500,000 years ago, some 200,000 years earlier than previously thought, anthropologists said Thursday.

I have no problem believing that human intelligence peaked many thousands of years ago. As I've said many times, we've done nothing in the 20th or 21st centuries to equal the towering human intellectual achievements of the neolithic revolution.

I got to meet James D. Watson a decade and a half ago. He's an old school sexist and complained loudly to us in his presentation that smart, successful men tend to choose beautiful women as mates and so dilute the intelligence of their offspring. Consequently, I tell my own sons that, when the time comes, they should breed for intelligence, but also height, since tall people are more successful on average. Watson didn't tell me that last part, but I just wanted you to know that I still have the capacity to synthesize information, despite my diminished intelligence.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Well, idiocy is bliss.

10. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The GOP: explained.

VadersLaMent likes this.
  11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I literally lol'd. [face_laugh]

12. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey, I'm a beautiful, intelligent woman!! Dowdy but brilliant and beautiful but dumb is an old, sexist myth that needs to die.

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have previously maintained two space science threads one of which reached over 1,000 posts. I had at one time created separate "goooooo science" threads and sometimes there were more than one of them on the same first page. I have created psost that seemed like encyclopedia entires complete with links, pictures, and commentary. Mankind has created the wheel, sliced bread, and traveled to the Moon. All of it plaes compared to this discovery:

Pig genome = better bacon

I did not think it possible. ^:)^ [face_flag]

14. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Just in time for breakfast: the better bacon.

15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Scientists say they have found something "Earthshaking" on Mars

I like the responses:

Keep in mind that when scientists say "earthshaking" they typically mean something like "we have confirmed that isotope 434 is infact a derivative of isotope 395 with a causal factor of 32!! 32??? Yes! 32!!! OMG Amazing! Everyone is going to be so excited about this!"

Last time I gave into the hype surrounding something mysterious and "earth shaking", I thought I would be getting a hoverboard. Instead, I got a Segway :\

17. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

[​IMG]

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You can now remove the question mark from the thread title.

SuperWatto and VadersLaMent like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    LMAO. I meant to make that point myself at some point. =D=

20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Our society is doomed mostly because it can't differentiate between Safeway and Wal-Mart.

SuperWatto and Lord Vivec like this.
  21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    I consider myself fortunate to be unable to differentiate between Safeway and Wal-Mart.​

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
  23. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    :)
    No, European.

24. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
  25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I think that is a Cracked photoshop.