main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [NERRRD] Observations, rhetorical questions, comments & 55 Years of Star Trek (General Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I love Apocalypse Rising, and how into being a Klingon Sisko is.

"Very good, Captain! But was it your intention to challenge me to a duel to the death?"

"Oh, not at all."

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100119201942/memoryalpha/en/images/f/fd/Dathan_Alaris.jpg]
    VOY 306: Remember
    -Premise: B'Elanna Torres receives vivid dreams from an unknown passenger aboard Voyager.

-T2Q Comments: Senator Kelly. I get the impression that this speech was meant to be addressed to a larger audience than this... not much to say about the episode. The remembered drama plays out better than it could have, though the whole regressive/progressive thing seems a bit heavy handed and somewhat confusing in metaphor at the same time. I also think the episode would have better been served showing us the woman's reaction to these memories at the end as she received them instead of replaying the initial dream.

Though I think it's better than many of the episodes it'll share company with, I don't have much interest in rewatching this one- Average. However, Dawson does maage to play the two different characters very well and distinctly.

Trivia: The episode was meant to a parable to the Holocaust (while I can see it, however I'm not sure it's as clear a connection, though modern politics may be diluting the issue) and was originally concieved as a Troi-centric episode of TNG.

Dawson cited this as the episode she was most proud of. Braga was dissapointed by the episode, feeling he would have preferred it had been done as a TNG episode and that Schindler's List and subsequent awareness of the Holocaust had taken the edge off the epiosde's genocide story. Oters felt it worked better as a Voyager episode since having a non-sensitive like Torres made it more effective than if they had used somebody like Troi. Taylor thought the episode, alongside False Profits, was an example of episodes that didn't work.

[image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20050921221954/memoryalpha/en/images/a/a2/Quark_with_batleth.jpg]
    DS9 503: Looking for par'Mach in All the Wrong Places
    -Premise: Worf helps Quark woo Grilka, his Klingon ex-wife.

-T2Q Comments: Mouthful of a title, ha. We return to The House of Quark ex-wife of Quark's. An actor credit came up for "Phil Morris"...oof, tough luck on that name.

"War- what is it good for? If you ask me, absolutely nothing."

On the upside they summarize The House of Quark, which makes seeing that episode less essential. I rather like this one panning shot of the Defiant's bridge, lights dimmed as the opera music plays. Odo's snarky tone is a bit over the top.

"You are an interesting man."
    "I always thought so."

It actually would have been better if this "right of proclaimation" was a real thing- Quark asserting his ways instead of buying time by making up such a right as an excuse. Not sure how I feel about the Miles/Kira thing... it's kinda played for laughs slightly, but at least they're able to break it up.

"What happened to you two?"
    "Well, um, if you must know..."

Well, a curious episode on three relationships there... the Quark thing is kinda amusing though nothing special, the Miles/Kira thing is awkward (though to it's credit (or, at least, to the credit of my unawareness of how this plot turns out) I found myself going "don't do it don't do it don't do it" ;)) but the Dax/Worf thing works.

I'm guessing the introduction of the Worf/Dax thing here elevates this to DefinitelY Essential (or, at the very least, Potentially Essential).

Trivia: First episode directed by Andrew Robinson (Garak- huzzah!). The original idea of doing a DS9 episode based on Cyrano de Bergerac was Dorn's. The episode's title is the second longest in Trek history (surpassed only by TOS's "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky"). The title comes from a line in a Johnny Lee song from the 80's, with the Klingon word for "love" inserted. This is the only time a Klingon word appears in an episode title.

Despite Quark's line, the 24th Rile of Acquisition is "War is good for business". The actor Phil Morris I alluded to earlier played Thopek here- he previously appeared as a child in TOS: Miri, a cadet in ST3 and would later appear on DS9 and VOY as oth

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    (BTW, now that we've merged, for those who were following my episode-by-episode commentaries/reviews in this thread, you can find the continuation of that project in it's original Amph thread)

Apparently the BDs have sold well for TNG S1 (selling in a week what they expected to sell in a month or two), and that they've now divided the task between two teams to speed up the process which might result in 3 sets released next year.

They're also talking about releasing ENT on BD (since it was already shot in HD, it would be a minimal cost). They would ideally like to continue the TNG restoration effort directly into a DS9 restoration effort, but there's no green light yet and will ultimately depend on how the rest of the TNG series sells. Presumably VOY would follow DS9, etc.

Also, unrelated, there's this:

[​IMG]

4. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    I haven't been able to throw down for TNG Season 1 yet, but I hope to soon. If DS9 and Voyager followed, that would be amazeballs.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I haven't picked up the TNG season 1 BD because it's expensive and the season is mostly awful. Once seasons 3-6 come out I will definitely have less restraint. I also hope that HD versions of TNG as well as DS9 and Voyager if they do those will turn up on Netflix and syndication.

6. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    lol, they've got a page on TV Tropes that has ST:TNG as its titular example of how a series gets better from a mediocre start.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GrowingTheBeard

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Is that Picard, or Kamin?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Where/when was that pic?

10. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Star Trek London this weekend. :mad:

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Darth Guy and Juliet316 like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    [​IMG]

Oh my God this is glorious.

Juliet316 likes this.
  13. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Picard facepalm. So cliche.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
  15. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Brilliant proposal marred only by (most of) the actors' reactions. Come on guys, your actors, act happy for the couple.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm just watching DS9 again, I just watched it once 10 years ago and gotta say...this show is pretty awesome.
    I remember most of the key plot points, which I kinda wish I'd forgotten heh.

Watched a bit of Voyager for the first time, and I actually liked it quite a bit then started again with DS9...and the characters are so much more compelling.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Seems Enterprise is hitting Blu-Ray soon, as was speculated recently.

You get to vote for the cover art via FB likes. Your choices are generic floating heads, a sleek ship shot or Archer/logos.

Trek Core also has a new trailer and a bunch of TNG Season 2 DVD/BD comparison shots here, here, here and and here

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Juliet316, timmoishere and Darth Guy like this.
  18. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Nice HD comparison shots! Even though season 2 was weak overall, it still has two of my favorite episodes: Q Who and The Measure of a Man.

19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Is that Nurse Ogawa sitting on Dr. Crusher's lap?

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    LeVar: And that happened. :SIGH: I'm gonna miss that movie showtime.
    Brent: Really?
    Wheaton: Whaaa.?
    Dorn: Hey, alright!
    Frakes: No way!
    Stewart: ::facepalm::
    Sitris: OMGOMGOMG!

Juliet316 likes this.
  21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    McFadden: Why is she sitting on my lap?

The2ndQuest and Juliet316 like this.
  22. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Crosby: I wasn't even invited!

GenAntilles likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Who do you think is taking the picture? ;)

24. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Seriously, who is that sitting on Gates McFadden's lap? :confused:

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I mean, if she was offering...