main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    kataja :
    That would be SO fantastic! I wonder what our chances are of even getting a married Luke in the sequel films, let alone Mara as Luke's wife? Having Luke a single guy with no family is my one real fear about the sequel films. Otherwise, I'm pretty much willing to let go and accept whatever the filmmakers have planned. But Luke having a family... preferably with Mara... is my one must have! Oh, and I want the original actors to play their roles from the OT too...

Wait a minute! Entertainment weekly says that the Original characters are going to be recast????? Do they mean for the sequels or just for other films/tv shows after or running concurrently with the sequels? As long as the original characters are in the sequels, which will probably be set about 30 years after RotJ, I wouldn't be opposed to filling in the time between Episode VI and VII with recast characters playing Luke, Han, and Leia's roles in those years. If they make those extra films or animated SW films between the trilogies as they did between the prequel and sequel trilogies, I won't mind that. I don't see how they could possibly make two or three SW Films a year. They've already said that they are going to make the Sequel films so they come out every two or three years, right?

I guess I'm going to need to go and follow your link to see exactly what they're saying.

instantdeath:
    I agree. Plus, if they were that put into theatres tha frequently, wouldn't it lesson the excitement and interest in each new film? That could seriously cut into the box office take.

This is pretty much the way I feel about it too!

MasterSkywalker86:.
    That's a good point, MS. That might very well be good news for the EU and it's possibility of surviving the ST.

He doesn't, no, but I suspect that the new owners will try to keep Lucas happy if they can. They're using his story treatments. I can only hope that they will realize that Luke having kids is a good thing for the franchise, as this would mean that they will have more Skywalkers to use in stories for future films. Again, I know that Han and Leia's kids are Skywalkers too, but I want to keep that iconic name in Star wars!

Well, let's hope they want Luke to have a family then!

True! I don't want Luke to do the same thing that Obi-wan did!

Well, the older generation and the new generation can work together for a while. And, I think they can make animated films that will do what you want, showing younger versions of Luke, Han, and Leia, and showing Luke training Jedi maybe.

That *would* be nice, but I don't think that's what we're going to get, unless Entertainment Weekly is right and they are going to recast the roles of Luke, Han, and Leia.

2. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    i ma fine with recasting them. But it needs to be FOTJ time period.

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    So far, I'm not even considering that option! :p
    Thing is, I don't want Luke married for any price. I want him to have a good and meaningful life - but that's not necesssarily the same as getting married. And already before I heard about the EU, I came to the conclusion that connecting with all the living beeing in the galaxy through the Force leaves you anything but lonely.

I think it would be possble for some time, considering they can use different directors. But it would quickly lead exactly to oversaturaion, as you say. And even quicker it would lead to the same problem as the many books a year -concept resulted in, with Bantam and Del Ray - in lesser stories, pumped out just to fill the need of the moment. I hope they settle for a slower tempo and make their best when it comes to quality too.

Yes, that's another thing completely. Though Ican't really argue why. :p

Yeah... But what would we do with Hamill, Fisher and Ford if they weren't Luke, Leia and Han??? Gaah - I hate this insecurity [face_sick]

'Yeah... that would be a possibility, I suppose...Add to that a mix of featured films and animation and it's more like it....[face_thinking]

Still, it's a lot!!! [face_sick]

[face_laugh]

LOL We're exactly the opposite, then. ;) I'd like to see the circle closed with Mark, Carrie and Harrison before I want anything recasted. I definitely see you point, but I've allowed the EU to go in and fill that gap out - thus I'm fine with waiting some years still before they recast.

No way. Considering the average lifetime in GFFA, they'll have toruble enough playing their actual age.

For now. ;) I'd be fine with in when I've "seen the circle close", though.
    And knowing myself, I'll probably accept the idea once it's official. Might even like it. My main problem is general conservatism and the fact that I can't imagine anyone but Mark Hamill playing Luke!!! Get me right here - I've spent hours and hours analyzing that guys every scene and fingermovement when I've been trying to get him right in my fanfics! I've spent that same amount of time, more probably, imagining him acting every scene in the books - in order to get a viggie just right. o_O I know there migth be some guy out there somewhere who can do Luke well too - but I don't think they'll pick him. The chance they pay attantion to every detail I think is important is just too small. :( And without Luke - and a real Luke - it's not really SW to me anymore :_|

That's really what I fear. It's been ok, wth the books - I've been able to imagine my own pictures and if the writers got a scene wrong I've just told myself - he didn't really get Luke. Now, what will I do? [face_worried]

We agree on a lot these days ;) Well, we don't have the odds - but one can hope for some Corellian luck, right? I think there might be hope they'd keep the favourite characters of the fans, though, as long as it doesn't go straight against something Lucas has planned. Like they did with Marvel - they kept the villains and love- interests but used them as threads for waving a new pattern on the tapestry.

Yeah, well, I kinda hope they don't quite know what they're saying. I can't see the point of having Hamill, Fisher and Ford in the movie unless they're playing the Big3. And f they are - why then recast them? Unless they'll be featuring two timeperiods, of course. [face_thinking]

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    it'll be defintly better than just the entire focus being on one era as we been getting for the last 7 years.

I suspect they'll try but I imagine they'll do things differently, remember how Irvin Keshner and George differ on many things in ESB ? I also want Luke to have kids too but I'm not ready for their introduction til Episode 8 or 9.

also another point/failing of the OJO, they were forbidden from having kids and indirectly their order was wiped out....I think Luke now being the founder would allow marriage as love and balance is what restored the galaxy and is part of a Jedi's life.

I would prefer live action if I had the choice, maybe it'll happen if EW has their facts straight.

I can pray [face_praying]

we had been fine with it since 1983 :p

admittedly they need to play it carefully, perhaps one theater release and one dvd release.

you don't say [face_thinking]

the thing is unlike the cast of Star Trek who went to reprise their roles numerous times, the cast of Star Wars(aside of Chewie and the droids) wanted to distance themselves from the films as much as possible. Harrison went to do more serious and action film roles, Mark went into voice acting and Broadway for a bit, and Carrie became a screen doctor. None of them have desired to gone back to the roles since the end of Jedi so I don't think their hearts would be in the role. I think that boat has sailed 20 years ago.

Another thing is I wouldn't say it's impossible for another actor to catch the role of Luke, if they get another person other than Leonard Nimoy to capture the character of Spock they can do it for Luke.

how did you think I felt about Captain America ? I spent time analyzing the movie to see if they would capture the main details as well as the small points, thankfully they succeeded. For the ST they already have 3 movies to help guide them in recapturing the character I think they have a better chance of success due to Luca's groundwork. ;)

5. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
  6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    ChildOfWinds

My suggestion for a way forward:-

Chewie is easy to bring back (and with a lot less disbelief than Maul's resurection). Let's say he was badly injured, lost his memory, but was rescued. He has spent the intervening time recovering from his injuries and getting his memories back. Ultra Simple - all it needs is to be put into an EU novel. Therefore no problem.

There is no real need to show (unless Disney & Co actually want to) the EU Jedi Order; or any of its familiar members. The ST Protagonists (new, fresh, young-ish characters) can be based at a Jedi enclave (with the opportunity of showing an entirely new, and interesting, planet - say Dathomir or Corellia). They interact on-screen only with the Big 3 and Chewie. Again no problem - and they can be written into the EU later, when the ST arc has finished.

No need to mention any of the historical baggage either - apart maybe, from an offhand reference in the Opening Crawl to 'very turbulent times' having been negotiated. Interested non-EUphile parties can buy the books or read up from the Wook for details!

Jaina, Ben, Tahiri and Allana are the leads in the SotJ Trilogy - quite probably on a Sith hunt(!); which could be prolonged for however much time is needed.

Another (possible) advantage is that current (Pre-Abeloth) canon puts the Order at a strength of 600 Masters and Knights + 400 Students (thank you, Sinrebirth, for providing those canon figures) -- and we have met (and/or had named) only an insignificant fraction of the Knights and Students. That said, Tirana Ki and Streen (little if any baggage to the pair of them) could make an Masters' appearance if set on Dathomir; but that would only be a nod to the existing EU, it doesn't actually need to happen. Dathomiri Witches, are known for wearing rather skimpy, animal hide. clothing - (in the EU, I don't know about TCW) - and it would be great to see Rancors in their natural setting -- and being used as riding-animals/beasts of burden!

Somewhere in the Hapes Consortium is another possibility -- lots of very beautiful ladies (it's a Hapan cultural trait) to be interacted with/in background shots. Tennel Ka (Hapan Queen) needn't appear, the Consortium is quite large and she's probably too busy with Affairs of State and keeping backstabbing (literally) Hapan politics subdued.

If Mortis is on the agenda in any way, shape, or form - there are already ten (un-named) Knights out searching for it!

Hopefully, the above would satisfy most people, perhaps everybody.

kataja likes this.
  7. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    JediMatteus:
    So you want to see the entire EU carried into the Sequel films? Even Abeloth? Luke's likely permanent injury? All of those thousands of Sith and Krayt?

kataja:
    That last is likely true.... However, I want Luke to leave a legacy, not only in his students, but in his own son or daughter too. As I keep saying, I want to follow another Skywalker into the future. Besides, I would hate to have that iconic name disappear when Luke is gone.

I agree. After reading the quote, it's possible that Ms. Kennedy didn't just mean SW films. LFL IS a movie-making company. They could make other films too, just as they have already made Raiders and its sequels.

Maybe because it would likely mean two different groups of people working on the two? They would be using different actors/voices. They may also be set in different eras. So we may get the Sequel films that may take place 30 years after RotJ, while also getting animated films that fill in the gap between RotJ and the sequels. That would probably be where we might see Luke setting up the Jedi Academy, for example, or training Leia first.

Plus, as I said, they could make some non-SW films too.

Yes, this worries me too...

We do, don't we?! That's kind of nice, isn't it? :)

I agree! Who else would they play?????

MasterSkywalker86:
    We'll see, I guess. It's a little scary, but exciting too. For the first time since RotJ came out, we know absolutely nothing about the new SW film.

That's what I'm hoping too, MS!

I'm not sure that's so, MS... I think it's likely that they would enjoy reprising an older version of their roles.

Tim Battershell:
    That would probably work...

Again, this is possible....

SotJ trilogy?

I have to say that I hope we're NOT going to get thousands of Sith or Abeloth in these new films. Those are things that I would really like to see go away.... Keep the EU until SQ, but then I'd like to see the rest of the mess just disappear. I know many people want to see all of the EU carry over, but I really don't. In my opinion, the post-RotJ story went way off the rails, starting with the NJO, but particularly from DN onward.

Your suggestions are creative and well thought out, TB!

8. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    you defined my feelings to a t, though I'm more excited than worried

Harrison Ford wanted to kill the character since Jedi and while he enjoyed Indy he has held a long disdain for Solo.

"Three is enough for me. I was glad to see that costume for the last time."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/08/harrison-ford-han-solo_n_2097347.html

Carrie Fisher, had mention her love/hate for the role and what it brought forth to her life "George Lucas ruined my life. And I mean that in the nicest possible way
    Read more at http://www.ranker.com/list/9-actors-who-hate-why-they_re-famous/adamhb#JMukbMHFszYWJudy.99 "

Mark I remembered mentioning about how he felt disappointed that they didn't do another one since he just got his "license to kill" sort of speak but he eventually was ok with the idea of not returning.

All I'm saying is that it's very possible that if the original cast(the actors not the characters) came back they would not live up to our expectations. See Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull for example.(although I thought Ford was good in it)

9. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Well, that could be straight into recast territory - and frankly I don't see anyone else being able to satisfactorily portray Luke, Leia or Han - either in general appearance or in characterisation. Yes they got lucky with Ewan McGregor - but he's a real top-drawer actor - and it was a 40 year+ back-jump on someone who, let's face it, was only really in a minor role - I don't think that they would be able to do it again, three times over, and simultaneously at that!

The problem really lies in that the OT has been broadcast so many times on network TV, so everyone and his/her dog are very familiar with the appearance of the Big 3 (Big 4 - if the latest rumour is correct, and Lando comes back too), how they move and what they sound like. A change of actor in the UK series Cadfael really soured the later episodes for me, especially as they cast a tall, burly, fair-haired guy to replace a shorter, slimmer, dark-haired guy - one who conformed to the description in the books.

Let's talk timelines. The NJO runs from 25 to 29 ABY. The DNT from 35 to 36 ABY. LotF from 40 to 41.5 ABY and FotJ from 43.5 to 44 ABY. The original cast, so other posters have claimed, could probably act ten years under their actual ages (provided the preparation, makeup, costuming and lighting is got right) - so that means that the earliest the story could be set is just before the DNT, with Ben just 8/9 years old - far too young to have a role as anything other than (going back to Bantam) a kidnap victim!

My point about SotJ was that it was a convenient excuse to get Jaina, Ben, Allana and Tahiri (all with extensive historical IU baggage) out of the way for as long as needed; but you raise a valid point about Sith.

The audiences will, I feel, want to see some pretty intense Lightsaber fighting (again let's face it, Lightsabers vs Blasters is really no contest!) and who, besides Jedi, really uses those? Sith, and only Sith!

As for Abeloth (if she could recover that quickly from losing multiple avatars in rapid succession) she could be left on the sidelines - except (perhaps) if Mortis enters the equation - and I am (for reasons already stated) just about expecting it as a possibility.

10. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Considering Luke's charcater and lifestory, I can't see him forbidding attechments. He knows all too well whats kept himself going. Even if he wouldn't marry himself, he'd never forbid others from doing it. That's just not his way. And make no mistake - Luke may pay much respect to authorities and traditions, but when he has his mind, he sticks to it. I could see him face every single Jedi from the old order and argue for his stance. Taste some Skywalker-stubbornness. :p

Hey - I've been thinking about that Entertainment Weekly article - or the article about the article, actually - about recast -and the many films they talk about... What if they make a ST with the old cast in supportive roles and a new generation as main heroes - but add flashbacks where we see stuff that's happened to Luke, Han and Leia featured by new actors!??!?? Those actors would then appear in stories of their own, going back to give us the story of what's happened in between! [face_batting] To me, this would basically be the ideal solution - and I think it would work good too. They'd sort of use the original actors to launch botha new generation and a recast. Also, by working in different time eras, it might be possble to give us all those films...

more later

lukemaraben likes this.
  11. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Yeah, ok But it's still different now. Back then, no one questionned who'd play the Big3 if they were needed, and for years now, we've heard this "there will be no more films" mantra. Of course most of us knew a 'no' is never definite - if we just plea enough, we'll get something - but focus was on pleaing - not on what we might get. Now we know we'll be getting something - and suddenly at least I get worried about not being able to like what's coming.

I appreciate your optimism, I really do... It's just so much that can go wrong. It's justa that I want my Luke just that little tad whiny that makes him so adorable. I don't thnk they'll dare go for a whiny Luke, not even a tad, they'll play safe :(

Maybe, maybe not...

This is very true. Well seen! =D=

I agree. This would work well - and leave out all the heavy luggage, which would make the film flow much smoother. Unless they'd use the opportunity to introduce a new cast for the original characters as I suggest in my post bove - but that too, could be done in 'general' flashbacks - not any that were story-heavy.

I know you presented this to MH but I can't but comment. In general, I see all those enemires not as countlss of threats, but countless of opportunities for epic battles ;) But I don't think the ST can work with the luggage that EU has developed. The story has to be independent, somehow. One that viewers who's last SW story was ROTJ can enjoy as well as the devoted fans.
    And as I see it, the problem with a reboot is that if it's complete, we loose so much we loved. While if it's not complete, it leaves us fans in a limbo - what's stiill true and what's not.

We completely agree on this!
    And yes - it's nice we do! :D

See my post to MS above. Just an idea I got. It might work, Might work very well, actually... [face_thinking]

This I can't agree on, however. If they reboot, then reboot. But keep the characters - and wave them to new, exciting stories. Give us a new, updated version of TTT, drop the Chrystal Star and Darksaber and give makes someone like Daala competent villain. Give us a better L&M romance. If they reboot, them let them undo some of the worst mistakes too.

more later...

12. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I don't think they could bear a new trilogy either. A single movie, maybe - but the new characters would anyway have to be introduced in the first part, so....also, see my post to Tim below

Exactly. They can manage ok - that's why they should recast when they have to - not before. It's obvious that if they want to show what happened to Luke, Leia and Han straight after ROTJ, then they have to animate or recast. And I think we're all prepared to take what they offer, more or less, when time comes for that. I also think most of us want taht time to come ASAP. But that was never what the ST was about, was it? The ST is/or was at least, the closure of a circle that started with Anakin's fall and continued by his son redeeming him. God and Lucas knows what the ST will be about - but it wouldn't be about first thrawn/whoever, then Exar Kuhn/whoever, then Daala/whoever, then.... You get my point? There's been rumors it will be about something spiritual, a balance etc. - and that's sort of what I vision too. Now, my hope is that we can see Luke & co pass on what they've learned, then let others take over. And when I've see that, with the original cast - then I'm ready for about anything. It's obvious that Hamill, Fisher and Ford aren't what you should build the future on. If one of them wants to hang on, it might be fine - but bascially that's not what it's about. They had their time - but they're also the gatekeepers to what will come.

Good point... I guess we're stuck with those guys, then :p
    Still, the problem with the Lost Tribe is that I can't really see their background work for a film. A far as the general audience knows, the last Sith died with Palps. And if they needed new guys, it would make more sense shake out some great-grand-apprentice of Asaj Ventress or something. With nephews and cousins, to make it more of a threat.
    And the problem with Krayt is, of course, always was, that if you bring him out, you trash Legacy. I wouldn't cry personally, but now that I bark against a reboot, I'd better hang on to my opinion :p

As I see it - and this is why all this posting still belongs to this thread - Luke's story has become so intwined with the EU that no matter what you do, it will be hard to ignore.

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    So you want to see the entire EU carried into the Sequel films? Even Abeloth? Luke's likely permanent injury? All of those thousands of Sith and Krayt?

if they are going to use the actual actors, yes. I would rather see them use new actors earlier in the timeline like NJO series time period, or even better Thrawn Trilogy. or gp with cgi enhanced characters or animations

14. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    MasterSkywalker86:

What else was he supposed to do? If Lucas wasn't making more SW films that took place post RotJ, He probably figured there wasn't any hope that he would be invited to do another SW film. The fact that he's still willing to attend SW Cons seems to suggest that he doesn't mind being associated with the SW franchise wna wouldn't mind reprising the role of Luke Skywalker if offered the opportunity.

This is a possibility. I'm really not expecting them to be the major characters though, but supporting characters to the new heroes/heroines. I think the characters of Luke, Leia, and Han will help to introduce the audience to the new characters, hopefully, their children.

Tim Battershell:
    If they just included the EU through SQ, that doesn't mean that they have to set the story right there. That just means keep that and prior EU and throw out the rest, adding something new, if they wish to those years. I really don't want to see the galaxy during the YV invasion or afterwards. I don't want to see Jacen become a Sith; I don't want thousands of Sith to be in the galaxy. I'd just like to make that EU infinities and have the filmmakers fill in however many years they want after SQ with their own backstory/history. They could set it 15 years after SQ, if they want, but have Luke's life from SQ onward different from what we got in the NJO and later.

Or other darksiders. And there don't need to be THOUSANDS of them as in the One Sith and the Lost Sith. Just two SIth in the OT were pretty impressive. As I've said before, sometimes LESS is MORE.

I'm really hoping this doesn't happen. Maybe she would be too scary for young kids and Disney wouldn't be willing to use her? I HOPE!

kataja :
    I agree, and I hope this is the Luke that we see in the ST, if indeed, Luke is in the film/films.

That's a really, REALLY good idea, K! I LIKE it!

That's my feeling too... Plus, I can't see the writers bogged down by all of this "luggage" either. How can they concentrate on making a good film if they have to worry about fitting it into and with everything that has been written in the EU?

If they would be willing to do that, that would be fine with me.

I agree. I'm expecting many years to have passed in Episode VII from Episode VI. I think they need some time to allow for the restoration of the Order and for the children of Han and Leia (and hopefully, LUKE!) to age to at least late teens. Then they can go back and tell those other stories with other actors cast in the roles of Luke, Leia, and Han and fill in the stories that happened between the two films.

That's the way I see it too. Hopefully, the will introduce us to the new characters and set them on their hero's journeys.

As I said above, they don't need to be Sith... any darksiders will do. And we don't need what I have always saw as the UNBELIEVABLE NUMBER of Sith. I found it very hard to suspend disbelief that there could be so many of them. One or two powerful darksiders should be enough if these villains are written well.

I can't either. I can't see the huge number of One Sith either.

15. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    agreed, not to mention ROTJ prove that loves conquerors all.

While I applaud your idea it might be more complicated than necessary to fit into a 2 hour movie . Though I enjoy your idea of including both the characters younger selves and their older selves.

agreed I'm as antsy with this and the Cap sequel.[face_nail_biting]

well he wasn't whiny in ROTJ ;) but I know what you mean, the new actor needs to capture all the points of Luke, small and big.

see if it's like that then I don't think Ill be as interested if the Big 3 are just in the background and then just for one movie. I mean what would be the point ?

actually I was agreeing that Mark out of all the three wanted to continue on, perhaps Carrie too. Ford is another story.

I have no problem with them doing that but for me the first two movies should have them in front and center, while the latter half of the second movie and the entire third movie should show both the new and old generation work together. For me it's essential that the Big 3 be in the center of the films....big emphasis on Luke before they pass the baton to the new generation.

16. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Just saw Star Trek for the first time in my life. And while I'm not competent to say anything about the reboot (as I've bever seen or read any ST before) I enjoyed the film and was impressed with both the story and the cast. And that, of course, leaves me hopeful that they can do a nice job with SW too.

Me too, the more I think of it. And you know, they had old Spock in ST too, sort of giving his 'proven' stamp to the film. It worked very nicely.

Hmm, what's the difference there to you? I've never really seen it but just assumed 'darksiders' was an older term, sort of pre-PT. But maybe I'm wrong?

That too! [face_batting]

Well, the screenplay writers we have these days are very good. Again, I was Impressed by ST. The first maybe quarter of an hour of the film was basically background - but so tight and well told that it didn't slow the film at all, just added that deeper layer to the story as was intended. Very, very competent handiwork!

You say something here. It might well be that it's not the quality of the launch-stories we need to worry about - but the quality of the sequels. They're sure to put in all top-notch people in the start - but as the story goes on.... [face_worried]

Yes, it's very important!!! I've been googling like crazy the past weeks, trying to check out the actors they suggest for Luke. Many of them are just too ...leaned back. Like Liam Hemsworth - great guy, no question about it - but lacking that Luke-vibe. I can't see him picking up any power convertors. I liked Adam Yelchin in ST, though. Actually, to check him out was one of my main reasons to see it. He had the energy! And intelligence and vulnerability too. He's in his early twenties, whch is where we left Luke in ROTJ, if that's what they want. I could see him in the role. And maybe Emilie Hirsh - he's got that 'go' as well. Though I don't know if they'd be as good as Jedi-Luke.

Spoken as a true Luke fan [face_laugh] Well, I dunno - secure his Legacy, maybe? ;)

I see what you mean, but I don't think they'll do that. I think George's vision was all the time taht Luke would be well up in age in the last trilogy, having only a cameo. But if they're going to produce several films, I'm very hopeful we'll se what happened 'in-between' too.

I think they'll stick as much to George's vision with the sequel trilogy, but also that they'll use it as a lauch pad to tell much mroe SW stories. My hope is therefor taht they don't screw the EU completely but eitehr stick to it, or that they basically omit to mention it - setting the ST so far ahead that it's no problem. I've even been thinking if the killng og Mara was coming from above - Lucas didn't wnat Luke to be married in the first place, but now they married him, ok, but get rid of the wife at some point before Luke reaches 65 or 70. Something like that.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  17. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    yay, when I saw that movie for the first time I had such a craving to see the Original Trilogy. In fact the movie borrows some similar tropes from the OT which isn't surprising since JJ Abrams is a well known Star Wars fan. The great performances of the younger cast as well utilizing classic and modern storytelling techniques led me to believe they could continue with Luke's story via live action if they choose the right people.

right.

I think the major problem with franchises lies with staying consistently good as they increase their number of films.

Ironically I don't have an actor line up, Adam Yelchin is pretty good in Fright Night and Star Trek but I dunno if he's who as I see as Luke. Perhaps it'll be an unknown actor, Chris Pine capture Kirk pretty well but he wasn't well known at the time. Karl Urban also knock it out of the part with Bones, but he wasn't a major star at the time. Who knows, I know someone out there can make the Luke role their own...I just don't know who. Also it helps if they look like a young Mark Hamill.

blah....I don't want to watch Star Wars babies :p

I think they will do that to a degree, remember GL is a consultant but doesn't have final say.

kataja likes this.
  18. kataja

May 4, 2007
    The risk of choosing wrong still gives me the shivers, but yes... you're probably right ;)

He'd definitely need to look a bit the same. I've seen people suggest Andrew Garfield or Joseph-Gordon Lewitt but they're just too dark-and-thin in type IMO. Mark Hamill's a strange mix of slender and compact-build and I think it fits the role perfectly - then again I can live with either or as long as the actor can capture his presense and energy. I think one of the problems would be that post-ROTJ Luke needs to be able to be cool Jedi Master - but he still HAS to have that farmboy earnestness - as well as a roguish spark. The two latter probably wouldn't even be anythng we see in the script - it would have to be all in the actor!

Chris Pine captured Kirk well, you say? I couldn't say as I've never seen ST before. But IMO he was the most 'ordinary' hero of the cast: the classic misunderstood- genious-kid-who-can't-stay-out-of-trouble-but-finally-finds-his place type. And his looks was very streamlined. But I think Urban, Yelchin, Cho and Pegg were brilliant. Great team play too.

True.... [face_thinking] I think his orininal idea with the ST will weight pretty heavy, though. In contrast, I don't think they'll ask him much what to do with whatever else they come up with.

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Trek played a blinder with its casting, they actually not only pulled off Kirk, Spock and McCoy with Pine, Quinto and Urban but nailed everyone else too. There's nothing to say the same can't be done on SW, but it's easy to under-estimate the difficulty of what Trek pulled off too.

20. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Well put, Ben. The odds of it actually working... Well, never tell the odds anyway. :p Let's just pray that the Force is with them, if that's what they decide to do.

Another thing is then, that it worked fine with introducing the new ST as an alterenate timeline - but now if they pull the same trick with Star Wars... wouldn't it be kinda... unimaginative?

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I don't believe a new timeline would be accepted by SW fans K.

Star Trek has had numerous timelines, timeline rewritings, alternative universe, time travel long before Abrams did what he did. The Trek books also are, up front, not official continuations - Trek fans don't seem to mind that as the distinction has been in from the start. Those two factors combined give Trek far more flexibility relative to Wars. Plus Trek doesn't have the legacy problems Wars does, no one sees TNG as "robbing" Kirk and co of their achievements and victories in the way Legacy is so perceived by some for Luke, Han and Leia. And TNG is set a mere 80 years later!

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, that's how they see the 2009 film.

23. kataja

May 4, 2007
    Well, I wouldn't know about trekkies - but I know we're hard to please :p

Myself, I feel more and more sure that LFL has at least tried to arrange the cards in a way they figured could work for a ST (Luke alive, no wife around, Leia and Han alive, no other Anakin). Whether or not that will be enough, remains to be seen - I'm not sure anyone knows it quite yet. As with CW, I think they'll try to do what they can - but if something doesn't fit, they'll run over it.

24. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Not the Jim Kirk that I remember from the TV - the 'can't be beaten, won't be beaten' Captain who cheated his way through the infamous "no-win scenario" as a cadet (albeit after getting creamed on four previous no-cheat attempts) or the man with the patience to practice tossing a phaser for hours upon hours on end, so that it always ended up in a convenient spot for a quick dive, roll, grab and shoot. He was good at lateral thinking (working out the angles), but the genius stuff was Spock's territory.

That's why it can probably work for Trek but quite likely wouldn't be as successful for SW. It's been years since I saw a 'classic' Trek episode -- SW Episode 6 - RotJ was on the telly a massive eight days ago! (one of our broadcasters showed them one per week on Saturday afternoons, in numerical sequence; and the trilogies are frequent staples of our bank-holiday tv film diet.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    agreed, equal parts serene, wise, farmboy values, with a hint of roguishness.

I'm not a fan of Star Trek either but it was critically and financially praise for the actors capturing the performances of the characters as well as the plot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.