main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Without Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Frank Oz, Ian Mcdiarmid (spelling?), Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I agree too. Mark, Carrie, Harrison, Hayden Christensen, James, Franky, Ian, Anthony, Kenny, without them-SW just wouldn't be SW.........

3. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I think he did a fair job in AOTC and a much better job in ROTS. Let's be fair, there was quite a bit of dialogue that NO ONE could have sounded good while saying it. What was better than his vocal performance which overall was pretty good, was his expressions and his "eye-acting". Sure, it may sound a little ridiculous to say "eye-acting" but he could evoke several emotions very well with his eyes and I think this ability gave a lot of character to his portrayal of Anakin and he's fall to the darkside.

4. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Amen. My favorite moment in all the movies. Ewan McGregor was so good. I have all his lines memorized from the final battle :))

5. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    That's a given. Ewan tried damn hard to remain true to the performance of Alec Guinness and the character he created. You don't really want to screw up that iconic character.

playing anakin is a lot different from playing Vader, for a start. Personally, AOTC i think was atrocious, but in ROTS i think he finally found his acting chops. Not really a fan of Hayden overall, but he certainly did the best with what he was given by George,.

6. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    It took me a while to get on board with Christensen as Anakin - I've done a bit of acting myself, and he seemed very wooden - but the more I watched, the more I realised that his inflections and accent were deliberate and necessary. If Anakin doesn't speak with slow, deliberate power, then it makes no sense when Vader does in the OT.

kainee likes this.
  7. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Hayden's delivery of "The Jedi turned against me, don't you turn against me!" reminded me a lot of James Earl Jones' delivery of Vader dialogue.

8. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    Exactly. I'm willing to bet all four of my lower limbs that that delivery was methodically thought out and calculated in rehearsals.

kainee and tuskinraiderfromhell like this.
  9. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004

There are so many Vader moments in Hayden's preformence in both AOTC and ROTS. The way he delivers his lines, the way he walks, his stance he did his home work. SO underrated!

kainee and tsunami1138 like this.
  10. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What? How? I think that they were nothing alike. Vader dialogue by Hayden was a young, angsty, angry, know-it all, paranoid, guy, JES Vader was a cyborg. How does that remind you of cyborg Lord Darth Vader in any way???

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    How was his acting "wooden"? You're are like the 1000th person I heard that ever said that....

I liked his fast talking!!

12. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Anakin feels Big. Hayden portrays emotions Anakin's emotions Big. These are analogies, space operas, and "subtle" is not really a part of an actor's lexicon when you sing up for a Star Wars movie. And also, I think he just knocks it outta the park basically if not for all of "Revenge of the Sith" but especially in those last 30 minutes. "You underestimate my power" does totally sound less like christensen playing Anakin Skywalker and then flat-out being Darth Vader James Earl Jones style. And I love that bit.

kainee likes this.
  13. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I do think some people are unfair against Christensen for most of it. That opera scene with him and McDirmind is "Sith" is fantastic and THAT is actually one of the few moments you can call in a Star Wars movie as "subtle". I love the menacingly grandfatherly vibe that Sidious takes at that point and Skywalker knows that thisisreallyreallywrongbutineedanswerstomyproblem but so he does try to get more details outta him.

kainee likes this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He was okay in AOTC. He made the role his own in ROTS.

kainee, Valairy Scot and Darth_Kiryan like this.
  15. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I am ok with this definition.

16. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    I actually thought this line was sort of an allusion to the line Luke says to Jabba in ROTJ. "...It's your choice, but I warn you not to underestimate my power."

kainee likes this.
  17. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I enjoyed it. I think that he got the emotional trauma that Anakin was experiencing in II and III down pat.

kainee likes this.
  18. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes. One more reason why Anakin should have been played by the same actor in all three movies. After all, Hamill hammed it up quite a bit in ANH.

kainee likes this.
  19. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    True. But he really grew into it in ESB and ROTJ

20. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Right, they grew in their roles in ESB (although it can be attributed to Lucas not directing it). On the other hand, Natalie Portman was more wooden in AOTC than in TPM.

21. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Well, she seems to have actually gotten worse with age.

she was fine in Leon:The Professional

22. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Yeah, her best role... Granted, I haven't seen Black Swan.

23. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    ^^ She was fantastic in Black Swan. Her performance definitely lived up the reviews that I read beforehand.

I would also have to agree with GL. Hayden and Natalie did "look good together". I just wish they had a little more chemistry like Han and Leia.

24. BoomBach

BoomBach Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    I think Hayden did the best that he could have. Between the fans natural discontent for him and Lucas wasn't helping

25. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I always liked Portman, I think she's great in Sith in that final scene Padme has with Anakin. Once again, not subtle folks, big, big, big!