main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit EU Resurrections

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyris Cavisek, Nov 14, 2012.

1. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    i hope u are joking with those ones

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I am joking about Waru since everyone is doing but I am not joking about Lon Shevu and Jori Lekauf. Those two characters in LOTF were 2 two favorite newly introduced characters.

3. Danzo

Danzo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 20, 2012
    Oh no you d'int! Don't you be dissing my Pellaeon! Even Thrawn so necessary a retreat was every now and then.

4. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Hm.

I am of two minds, and these two minds wear two hats. One is a comfortable, well-worn affair, perhaps of the flat cap or bucket mould, while the other is, let us say, a fez.

On the one hand, speaking as a fan of the ongoing, 'historical', single-continuity, basically cohesive story that earns the Expanded Universe my affection over any other fictional work, I have not one whit of interest in returning any previously dead character, no matter how likeable, to the mortal world. From obscurity, like a shot, but not from the grave. We already have more than enough characters to go 'round, and should it be deemed necessary, replacement characters can be created. Bring me your Maras and Pellaeons, your Noms, Vergeres and Solo sons; I shall say "Away with you, mad fools! Dabble not in essence transfer, flowwalking, parallel universes or all manner of unholy rites! Their immortals souls have found peace; let that be an end to it!" I'm inclined to regard death as the end of a character's story, and as an impetus to their fellows and successors, and at all costs to avoid the revolving door business evident in superhero comics.

Alright, if it was Lando, maybe, but Lando's dealt with all kinds of crazy stuff. I would not bat an eyelid if it emerged that Lando beat Death at sabacc.

However, Force ghosts, Sith spirits and assorted phantoms, I am all for. Seeing more of Obi-Wan, Yoda, Qui-Gon and Anakin would be excellent; doubly so for characters we've not yet seen in blue. For that matter, instead of just popping up to deliver cryptic messages or benevolent beaming (half the time in dreams these days), could we possibly get some honest-to-goodness haunting? An enigmatic ancient master in the Jedi Temple? A crotchety Sith spectre doomed to eternally stand guard over the crypts of his brethren? A parent pestering their child to fulfil their destiny? Or perhaps drawing on things like the Flying Dutchman and the Wandering Jew. We've had some of these recently (Cade, f'rinstance), but very little in the 'current' era. For that matter, holocrons, however they work at the moment, could see a bit more use. Let's actually see Luke conferring with (simulacra of) Dooku or Mace or Yoda or Revan.

So, still wearing the bucket hat, I would say that my first choice for a resurrection would be...Kenth Hamner, either as a holocron whatzit or a ghost, having bound his soul to this mortal realm that he might guard the cavernous chambers of the Jedi Temple until the Order returns and/or make pointed comments toward his erstwhile colleagues. Another - this is an idea I've seen mentioned before somewhere and I'm quite taken with it - would be learning that ever since Truce at Bakura, Anakin has remained at Padme's grave, head bowed, atoning, his meditations broken only by occasional chats (and possibly training) with their descendents.

It's odd, as I'm generally not overfond of the increasing trend toward the fantastical and mythological we've seen since the New Jedi Order concluded, especially in Fate of the Jedi, and yet I'm all for this. Maybe it's the more personal component.

Donning the fez, however, I must now admit to a degree of willingness to cast aside my concerns about revolving doors, precedents and overall narrative logic for the sake of fun. Aside from Lando-v-Death above, I would, for example, have no problem with Trioculous and Hissa's dark disciples resurrecting them with dark rituals that they might commit further dark deeds. Similarly, Kyle Katarn being forced to fight his way out of (or, indeed, into) Hell, or the revelation of San Hill's remarkable survival skills, or the schemes of conquest of Darth Bandon's head-in-a-jar, are all concepts I'd be fine with (indeed, quite possibly gleeful).

Resurrection just works for some characters. I think it's a matter partly of how seriously the character was written and read, and partly of the individual impact of a death on the characters, on the story, and on the reader. Anakin Solo returning is an awful idea; Trioculous returning is both fantastic and workable.

Zorrixor and Tim Battershell like this.
  5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    :eek: [face_hypnotized]:eek:

:D:cool::D

=D= ^:)^=D=

Jedi Knight 3: Kyle Katarn vs Chaos.

Not even being dead is enough to escape Kyle Katarn.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    They said the tooth fairy was just a myth, and now he's head of the FBI!

7. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Good
    1. Jacen Solo
    2. Anakin Solo
    3. Vergere
    4. Cal Omas
    5. Callista

Bad
    1. Alema Rar
    2. Thrawn
    3. Zsinj
    4. Freedon Nadd
    5. Exar Kun

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You're new, so I suppose you haven't seen me around yet. But just ask everyone, I'm Pellaeon's biggest fan.

[face_mischief]

9. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Note to self, don't mess with Jello's Pellaeon. Hey, you still got Vitor Reige...

10. Zorkel567

Zorkel567 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2010
    Good:
    Ken Palpatine
    Jacen Solo
    Ken Palpatine
    Anakin Solo
    Ken Palpatine
    Darth Vader
    Ferus Olin

Neutral: