main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Why did anakin skywalker stay on the dark-side after Padme died?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    My response would be this:

1) The emperor had also convinced Ani that he was doing the right thing by joining him; remember Ani riding the lava and saying to Obi-Wan, "In my mind, the Jedi are evil." He had his mind twisted into thinking the Jedi were bad and the Emperor was good.

2) Ani was stuck at that point, there was no turning back. He knew he couldn't defeat the Emperor, and most of the Jedi had been destroyed. I'm sure after what he did to Mace (and trying to kill Obi-Wan), he didn't think he could waltz back in and rejoin the Jedi.

3) Ani had been turned into a power-loving Sith, and would rule the galaxy with the Emperor. He didn't have near that status with the Jedi, he was not even a Master.

2. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I didn't realize when he destroyed the surgery room and droids he was trying to attack Sidious. I like that added knowledge...I didn't remember that from the novel but it's been seven years.

3. blackmagicdude

blackmagicdude Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    Good observation. It isn't the existence of the darkside itself that's evil, it's the people who use it, that cause the imbalance in the Force.

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    How did the Jedi plan to bring balance to the before before the events of the prequels?

5. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    Thats Deep, shame they dont portray that part in the film, that would have been good.

6. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    As I said in another thread, Anakin didn't only want to save Padme. He also wanted more power than an ordinary Jedi. He was a power hungry maniac and Padme's fate only sped up his fall to the Dark Side.
    Here are just a few quotes from Ep3 related to Anakin's not-so-tragic-and-surprising fall to the Dark Side:

"The Jedi have planned to overthrow the Republic. I saw master Windu try to assassinate the Chancellor himself"
    "I am more powerful than the Chancellor. I can overthrow him. And together you can I can rule the galaxy. Make things the way we want them to be"
    "Don't lecture me Obi-Wan, I see through the lies of the Jedi"
    "I have brought freedom, justice and security to my new empire"
    "I should have known the Jedi were plotting to take over"
    "From my point of view the Jedi are evil"

7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Anakin had plans of ruling the galaxy with padme as his empress, and plans of power but that only happened after he succumbed to the darkside.

Kinda like how saving Luke freed him from the darkside, and he would have been a good guy on the rebels's side after that.

His original goal was to either leave or join the darkside to save others, but the side effects, like a power desire, came later on. The only reason he helped the Emperor kill Mace Windu was to save Padme. Had he never been afraid of her death in childbirth, he never woul'dve become Darth Vader... He was not predestined. That is just wild speculation and theories...

8. CircaCitadel

CircaCitadel Jedi Padawan

Oct 10, 2012
    Palpatine would have killed him if he changed his mind. That's how I see it.

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    According to you, Anakin was jutified in joining the darkside, because

A)If he left after Mace Windu died, Palpatine would kill him

Or

B)The Jedi would kill him after learning he helped to kill Mace Windu...

It seems kind of contradictory that Obi wan kenobi and padme wanted anakin to turn back to the light side. After all, he did it to save his life from the Jedi, and now, they want him back? Too late now.....

10. FunintheSun

FunintheSun Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2011
    Most world powers arm themselves before dissenters can begin planning because they are sure it's bound to happen eventually. Sidious didn't need to foresee that; it was a way of establishing his authority.

Okay, but he didn't know that HE would be the cause of her death. He knew she was going to die, and in his viewpoint, merely going away with her wouldn't stop her from her impending death. Not to mention he truly believed in Palpatine and what he thought the Empire represented.

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Good observation. Thanks a lot!!

However, are you saying/and/or implying, that if Padme had lived, Anakin would have turned away from the Darkside, and his at least 23+years of evil in the OT never would've happened?? Was saving a loved one the only thing that could bring Anakin Skywalker back from the Darkside???

12. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    When did Lord Darth Plageuis die? In between TPM and AOTC? Even before that?

What I find to be very strange is that Palpatine/Lord Darth Sidious referred to him as a "legend" implying that he lived and died, either centuries, or even millennia ago and before....!!

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Umm...... NO!!

The only reason that Anakin helped to kill Mace Windu and save the Emperor Palaptine/ Dark Lord of the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, was because he wanted to save Padme.....

If Padme never got pregnant with Luke skywalker and princess leia, Palps would tell Anakin that he's Lord Darth Sidious, the traitor who started the Clone Wars, and Anakin would tell Mace Windu about what he just found out, and Anakin would let Mace Windu kill him, therefore, the Galactic Empire is never formed and Anakin never turns to the Darkside and become Darth Vader. It was his desperation for saving his wife that led him to the Darkside!!!

14. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Then I guess all those quotes about Anakin hating the Jedi and wanting dictatorship have nothing to do with his fall to the Dark Side.
    I guess that back on the Naboo fields, when he said all those things about dictatorship he does not come out as a power hungry (and a woman stalking) maniac...
    And I guess that it was all just about Padme, when at the end he managed to delude himself into thinking that Padme brought Obi-Wan to kill him and FORCE CHOKES her, Padme, the ONLY reason (going by what you said) for joining the Emperor, without a second thought...
    He always was bitchy to his master and others around him, he always stalked Padme, he killed women and children way, WAY before he married Padme.
    So the argument that he fell to the Dark Side only because of Padme falls flat on its rear end.
    Anakin is an ******** from the very first scene in AOTC.

15. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I never said it was ONLY Padme!!!

Sure, there may have been contributing factors, but the main thing that caused him to kill Mace Windu and fall into to the DarkSide at the last second, was saving Padme from dying in childbirth!!! Have you ever watched Star Wars SW Episode 3, Revenge of the Sith, ROTS???

I apologize for seeming rude, I'm am just a little impatient and in a bad mood today, and I always use a lot of punctuation!!!

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He died during TPM - in that book, Maul is downplayed in importance, being considered Sidious's tool, and "The Two" are Sidious and Plagueis. After Palpatine has been nominated for Chancellor, but before the Jedi and Padme arrive on Naboo, he kills Plagueis.

17. FunintheSun

FunintheSun Jedi Padawan

Nov 6, 2011
    To Q 1, no, I'm not saying or implying that. He really was too close to Palpatine for him to just turn back, especially after all he did to get to the point he did before Padme met him on Mustafar. There were too many contributing factors involved to give a simple black and white answer to the question. There was Padme, but also his own ambition for greatness, his dissatisfaction with the current government, the way the Jedi Council sans Obi Wan treated him... it's amazing how many seeming smaller events can build into a major decision, whether good or bad.

To Q 2, I think so. It's established that Anakin loves deeply and loves his family. The catalyst (not the pure cause) for him turning to the Dark Side was for family, it only made sense that would be the catalyst for him returning. I'm sure he could have done something on a galactic scale for the good of the galaxy, but he needed to see his friend/mentor for the evil man he was and that couldn't be played out in a macro scale battle.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    The current government of the USA came to power by genocide and stealing the land from the Native American Indians, however, regardless of how unjust, evil, and cruel that was, what's done is done, therefore, any attempt to get revenge at that would just result in more families suffering. Do you agree with me??? Wow, I'm am sure that the quadrillions of imperial citizens/civilians wanted their fathers, brothers, sons, friends, boyfriends, best friends, buds, pals, accqantices who just happened to be stormtroopers being killed by the Rebel Alliance just so one man could be punished............

Your analogy makes absolutley no sense at all, whatsoever...........

19. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    He was already Darth Vader at that point; besides, he only killed a few Jedi, the Clone Troopers/stormtroopers/501st legion did most of all of that dirty work...........

Besides, did the Jedi want to hunt down and kill all of the Sith, even if they lived peaceful solitary existences as hermits and mystics and priests, just to bring balance to the Force????

PiettsHats, I strongly disagree with you. Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader had no intentions (s) of committing suicide when he picked up and killed Darth Sidious/Emperor Palpatine, second of all, besides, even if he did, that's is totally irrelevant to the main point, there was no other way to save Luke Skywalker............

20. tsunami1138

tsunami1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 15, 2012
    No, he wasn't, he took on the mantle of "Darth Vader" only AFTER he had proven himself worthy to Sidious by assisting in the murder of Windu.

The Sith are an inherently evil and illegal organisation. Their sole aim, generation after generation, has been the subjugation of the galaxy to their rule. They were outlawed at the herald of the Ruusan Reformations; but that hardly matters, given that they've never really given themselves over to the common laws of the galaxy anyway.

21. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Darth Plageius wasn't the person/one who had the idea about/of the Death Star first, the Sith only accquired/got the Death Star (ds1) only recently, through the events of the prequel trilogy....... Death Stars and being a Dark Lord of the Sith Lord (darth) are not synonmous, why were the Sith evil long before they had the death stars??? I mean, why were the Sith Lords evil even before they had the death stars?? How many planets did they destroy?? Remember 1000 years yr before Episode 1??

22. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    What on Earth has the Death Star got to do with this discussion? Just because you don't have a Death Star, doesn't mean you're not evil. Likewise, destroying a planet is not the only indicator of evil.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  23. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Darth Plageius had the idea to build the first Death Star (ds1), have you u ever read the EU (expadnde universe)???

24. tsunami1138

Nov 15, 2012
    Ok, now you're being deliberately thick.

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  25. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    OK, before the Sith had the Death Star, why were they evil??? Every time I ask people why the Galactic empire was evil, they mention/talk about the destruction and/or annihilation alderaan.......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.