main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [Doctor Who] Series 7 Discussion - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mar17swgirl, May 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    Back when the Doctor Who twitter was teasing the "iconic guest star" for the christmas special Christopher Lee was a very popular suggestion. But there was also a lot of people under the belief that Lee detests Doctor Who and that a guest role by him would be unlikely, though I don't know where that stems from.

2. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I agree with both Chris and Rachel re: Tennant.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Artwork for the soon to be released R1 DVD of Shada:
    [​IMG]

Ulicus and Mar17swgirl like this.
  4. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I definitely don't already have Shada... definitely not

5. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's got some classic Douglas Adams writing. I look forward to the DVD release.

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Are you talking about Nativity 2? The first one was brilliant (and starred Martin Freeman). It's a decent British film.

7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I am. And no it wasn't. It was just about okay. Forgettable Christmas fare. Career filler. The stuff that shows up every year, holds no true credibility and disappears quicker than you can say "Jingle Bells". I knew that Freeman was in the original, which actually makes the whole thing even more frustrating. Freeman's now renowned as John Watson and Bilbo Baggins... and who is filling his long forgotten shoes? David Tennant. :(

8. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Mar17swgirl likes this.
  9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You should've used Kazran Sardick. :p

10. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    It doesn't have the proper Everton Grumpy Face, but still - [face_laugh]

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    The Prequel just aired on 'Children in Need'. :D

Atmospheric and comedic. Longer than I expected, too. Madame Vastra ( :D ), Jenny ( :D ) and Strax ( [face_dancing] )!!! "Damn Moon!" [face_laugh] I loved how their proposals started out mad and finished up mundane. :p I loved how The Doctor just stood there and listened. Brooding. I don't like his decision to retire, but I have a feeling it's only temporary. :p Almost as good were the intro and 'outro' - each featuring Jenna-Louise Coleman and Matt Smith in full banter mode. Their chemistry is just fantastic.

:D :D

EDIT: Behold! YouTube.

Ulicus , MrZAP, Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  12. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    [​IMG]

The Moon shot first.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Oh and The Doctor's new costume continues to make me go weak at the knees.

EDIT:
    I think Jenna-Louise and Matt's banter after the prequel is a good pointer to the relationship between their respective characters. Matt builds up the tension - "but, as all humanity hangs in the balance will anyone be able to persuade The Doctor to save the day?", and Jenna-Louise deadpans, "Yes". She sees through him, can compete with him and is easily able to make him look a bit silly. Yes indeed, I'm even more convinced now that Clara - or whatever her name is - is on The Doctor's level. :cool:

14. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
    It's a wonderful outfit. I still say it's a shame that it's a one off thing.

Ulicus likes this.
  15. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    It's awesome even in silhouette.

Ulicus and Juliet316 like this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    What a wonderful hat.

When are we getting the trailer? The prequel was spectacular, can't wait to see the Christmas special!

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I would guess the trailer will air at some point between 8.30pm and 9.00pm GMT.

18. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You may be forgetting that it's taken Martin 10 years since The Office ended to actually land a role like that. I've been watching him in every bit part or flop movie (ahem hhg) hoping one day he'd actually get known in the US. It's finally going to happen but boy did it take a long time. Hardly anyone here knows who he is. They won't until The Hobbit is actually out. And that's taken a hell of a long time.

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    TRAILER HAS AIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Title in spoiler tags, but surely we can post that?

THE SNOWMEN

Chewgumma likes this.
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Freeman has done his share of rubbish, yes. He's also appeared (however briefly) in a number of the 'right' British films - Love Actually, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Hitchhikers. Plus, he knows that playing typically British roles suits him. So that's what he's done. Arthur Dent led to John Watson, and John Watson led to Bilbo Baggins. It's taken him a bit of time but as rises go it feels steady and deliberate. He knew what suited him and waited for his moments. Iconic roles, too. Sure, chance plays a big part but it still strikes me as a plan. Since Tennant left Doctor Who he's not had anything like that sort of plan. Or at least it doesn't seem like it. Flitting about all over the place and not doing anything that really plays to his talent for BIG personalities. So on the screen (big or small), Tennant seems to be drifting about fairly aimlessly. Freeman is only going up.

21. Chewgumma

Apr 14, 2009
  22. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Looks good. Hopefully it'll be my second favorite Smith Christmas special, possibly even beat out Christmas Carol (though I doubt it).

EDIT:

I know he's already John Watson, but would anyone else want to see Martin Freeman as a companion for 11?

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Awesome, awesome banter. AGAIN. :D Love how they acknowledged the mystery of Coleman's appearance in AOTD.

"There's a man, called The Doctor, who lives on a cloud in the sky and all he does, all day, every day, is to stop all the children in the world having bad dreams." [face_love] I adore Clara's ( :D ) delivery of that line. I LOVE the idea of the TARDIS parked on a cloud (at least, that's how I'm choosing to interpret that for the moment). She looks stunning in that red dress, and Richard E. Grant looks TERRIFYING ("I said I'd feed you. I didn't say who to." Oooooooo. :p ). I do like the Snowmen. An army of ice.

This is gonna be a gooooooooood Christmas special.

24. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    You think Clara is somehow related to Oswin, and that they're trying to throw us off here by saying they can't possibly be the same person? Maybe that combined with the spirit of Christmas just generally cheering him up, Oswin somehow being saved and becoming Clara will reinvigorate the Doctor's passion for the mysteries of the universe?

Juliet316 and Mar17swgirl like this.
  25. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Tennant also has a wife and two kids, and I'd wager that's been a fairly substantial portion of his focus in the last couple years ;)

Also, I thought Freeman turned down The Hobbit before they finally convinced him to do it? Doesn't seem super deliberate to me. And Freeman has a really deliberate type. He's the quintessential Englishman, so when there have been iconic roles of that nature it was way easier for casting directors to think of him and call him up, I'm sure. He's the only person I could ever see as Arthur or Bilbo, for instance, so it was only natural. David is a much more unique bloke. Finally I'll just say that you're talking as though actors can control what roles come across the desk. That's just not the case. Yes having good representation and going after things matters, but it doesn't matter if you just don't fit what people are looking for. I would argue there are tons of roles I'd have loved to see him in (for instance, I'd have really liked to see him as Thenardier in Les Mis over Cohen), but that's because I'm always thinking of him, whereas not all casting director's are :p Unlike Martin he doesn't have a really specific type.

But, as I said, he also might not actually be going after other things for personal reasons. Or perhaps like me he just doesn't consider big films to be the only (or even best) way to act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.