main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Pernilla August as Shmi Skywalker

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -NaTaLie-, Nov 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Who else thinks her performance is underrated? People gripe about acting in the prequels (not without grounds, I admit), and yet seem to overlook Shmi. I think Ms August was very convincing as a loving, but firm mother of a bright, talented boy. Her scenes with Jake were warm and I think she brought the best out of him. Her suffering in AoTC was also believable (I wish she had more screen time).

You really start wondering if Jedi training Anakin was a big mistake. Had he stayed with Shmi, he might have grown up with fewer issues, maybe become a pilot and even freed the slaved like he'd wanted.

2. tuskinraiderfromhell

tuskinraiderfromhell Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 2004
    I agree she, as MANY of the PT actors, are HIGHY underrated.

SaberJedi2 likes this.
  3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    She is the best actress in the whole saga.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  4. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    he is a good actress, i like her.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    I think that Pernilla August, I mean, she was like the worst possible acting choice for Darth Vader's mother/mommy!!! The reason for that is, she played the Virgin Mary, Mother of Jesus, in some other movie, and in Star Wars, she is Anakin Skywalker's literal single parent. It's is kinda of like typecasting. Darth Vader's mother and Jesus' mother played by the same actress? That kind of sounds wierd to me, even slightly blasphemous!!....

It's is blasphemy!!!

6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I've tried to make sense out of your post, but I just can't.

Yunners likes this.
  7. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Both the Lord Jesus Christ and the Dark Lord of the Sith, Lord Darth Vader, were born from virgin mothers, and had a supernatural conceptions(s). Their "literal single parent" (geddit-no biological/real father), the female parent, the mother, the mommy, their mom was played by Pernilla August, the same actress. It's comparing the Virgin Mother of God to some fictional character by using the same actress. It's is blasphemy!!!

8. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, Anakin is a kind of Messiah (albeit in a screwed up way).

9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Agreed, bro.............

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, it's not. While it's true that Lucas chose her for her excellent protrayal of Mary on a movie, it was due to the motherly qualities shown in her performance, and not because of any coincidence that both "sons" share. And I'm yet to understand the "blasphemy" part...

11. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    So, are you saying that Mr. George Georgey Georgy Lucas chose Pernilla August because he played Mary? That's is blasphemy, blasphemous; it's is irreverent towards sacred things!!!!!!!

Mod ShaneP Edit: Tyranus, please refrain from posting so many graphically intensive pics and ones not really pertaining to Star Wars. Thx.

12. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Back to Pernilla.....I absolutely agree with NaTaLie about this. Her performance was very underrated. Even though she only acted with him in a few scenes, her interaction with Liam Neeson was excellent. I think the way she played her role actually helped play into the Anakin's character, through innocence, kindness, and just the way he carried himself. I think she was an excellent choice (very underrated) for Anakin's mother.

13. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    OK, I understand. What do you mean by graphically intensive pictures, especially in this thread?? What do you mean by intense??

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Is it? How so? Care to give a reasonable explanation to your remarks?

He means spam/off-topic, which was what you did.

15. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Dahell did I just read? O_O

16. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    very much agreed...Pernilla rocked! Too bad George Shmi and QGJ to have a more inmate relationship..Love her scenes with Liam as much as those with Jake.

17. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    I guess he didn't want fans to think QGJ was Ani's daddy.

18. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    I was under the impression that Jedi were forbidden from having attachments or loving so I'm glad that they didn't have a more intimate relationship. I think that it was shown why that is so: Anakin develops a relationship with Padme and as a result falls to the dark side. If he hadn't met her, would he have become a Sith? Probably not!

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Dooku fell to the dark side without "developing a relationship" with somebody.

DarthBoba and Alexrd like this.
  20. Yunners

Yunners Jedi Master star 2

Mar 30, 2006
    I quite enjoyed her performance. she was probable the most human character in the movie.

21. SaberJedi2

Apr 5, 2007
    Agreed. But, I'm not saying that one can't fall to the darkside without having a relationship, such as the case with Dooku. However, having an attachment and thus the threat of loss of probably wouldn't help. I can see why it would be forbidden to engage in a relationship if you were to be a Jedi. I just thinking having Qui-Gon engage in a more intimate relationship with Shmi would have taken away from the character of both Qui-Gon and Shmi.

Alexrd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.