main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Why the NJO and Legacy Era are toast.

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by stellarmagic01, Nov 5, 2012.

?

Do you think the NJO and Legacy are going to Survive Episode VII?

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. No

154 vote(s)
    72.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Jaina, Ben, Tahiri and Allana are the leads in the SotJ Trilogy - quite probably on a Sith hunt(!); which could be prolonged for however much time is needed.

Another (possible) advantage is that current (Pre-Abeloth) canon puts the Order at a strength of 600 Masters and Knights + 400 Students (thank you, Sinrebirth, for providing those canon figures) -- and we have met (and/or had named) only an insignificant fraction of the Knights and Students. That said, Tirana Ki and Streen (little if any baggage to the pair of them) could make an Masters' appearance if set on Dathomir; but that would only be a nod to the existing EU, it doesn't actually need to happen. Dathomiri Witches, are known for wearing rather skimpy, animal hide. clothing -- and it would be great to see Rancors in their natural setting -- and being used as riding-animals/beasts of burden!

Somewhere in the Hapes Consortium is another possibility -- lots of very beautiful ladies (it's a Hapan cultural trait) to be interacted with/in background shots. Tennel Ka (Hapan Queen) needn't appear, she's probably too busy with Affairs of State
    and keeping backstabbing (literally) Hapan politics subdued.

2. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    As long as they include Jaxxon, the Hoojibs, and Black Hole is the villain, I'll be happy. Those are my EU dreams!

3. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Don't forget the pink blobs!

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    My EU dreams involve a CGI Bea Arthur and Art Carney.

5. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    There's no reason these things can't be included. Just throw a few references in the opening crawl and some expository dialogue and we're there!

6. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I just saw something Kathleen Kennedy said that will/should/hopefully will put this entire discussion to bed because she basically addresses the EU.

Kennedy: This is not like a series of books like Harry Potter where you’ve already got a template of what the stories might be. These are original stories and original ideas that come out of a world that, essentially, is inside George’s head. The beauty of the collaboration that can continue is that as we work our way through these scripts, if we stop and we say “hmmm, I wonder if this character can do that,” or “does this make sense within the rules of Star Wars.” He’s the keeper of the flame when it comes to that

http://www.slashgear.com/star-wars-episode-7-cast-begins-to-assemble-16257390/

So right from the Producers mouth. Episode VII (and I assume VIII and IX) are not being approached like a property with existing material to draw from. There is no existing templates for the story or ideas that will be in Episode VII. Everything they are using as a jumping off point is from Lucas himself and if they have questions and when they sit down to talk about the overall story, Lucas is involved. At best, we can/should expect the EU to be treated the same way it is treated in The Clone Wars.

Lucas also makes comments that makes it sound he has given them basic outlines/treatments which Arndt is filling in and turning into a full movie script. So it sounds like unless Lucas decided to use Jaina and Ben etc... they won't be used.

7. J-327

J-327 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Aug 11, 1999
    While I enjoy much of the EU, in my mind I have always felt it was an "alternative history," so to speak. The films had a whole different flavor to them, as in, same universe, different parameters; for me the movies have always been separate from novels, comics, video games, etc. This allows me to savor it all, frankly. I have been so grateful for the novels, though, as the really good ones have allowed me to "remain" in that world, a world I love.

My guess is that future projects will not be completely beholden to what's come previously, much like The Clone Wars cartoon is handled now. The new films may borrow from the EU, but I cannot imagine it will be treated as gospel, as that is far too restrictive an approach. (For example, I won't die of heartbreak if I don't see the twins on the silver screen.) What counts is good storytelling, not continuity, which has never been strongly preserved anyway, not even in the first six films.

I cannot see this as the "death" of anything, though, not any prior era--such an attitude seems odd to me. Those stories exist and always will. I feel badly for the fans who insist that everything attempt to follow strict continuity, as that seems to take all of the joy out of it.

I think the franchise is in good hands, and I don't care if the stories take a new direction. I am so stinkin' excited at the prospect of new films and so grateful that I will be able to take my nephew, who's just a young toddler now, to see new Star Wars movies, just like I did with my little brother back in 1983. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect that to happen.

And coming back here to have a new movie to discuss is pretty nice as well.

8. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    The "death" that has been mentioned is the current continuity that exists in the EU (primarly in the post RotJ novels). Not the end of EU material all together.

If Episode VII is vastly different then what the novels have set up it will have two effects. 1) The current/old continuity will basically end since so much retconning will/would have to happen to include it all and 2) Disney and Lucasfilm would have to supplmentry material that supports and ties into the new movies, so material in the "old/current" continuity would probably stop being published (also, to avoid confusion among consumers).

If Han and Leia only have a single son and the Jedi are in a much different place in Episode VII, we'll start getting books that deal with and expand on those ideas and characters.

9. braddrad

braddrad Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2003
    I truly believe going forward with the sequels means if it didnt happen on film...it didnt happen.

10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    [​IMG]

They're missing a bet if they don't take at a look at this for inspiration.

Or this:

[​IMG]

thesevegetables likes this.
  11. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    The word "death" appears nowhere in the article that you linked.

12. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I was responding to J-327

13. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    This is not how tie-in media works. The continued existence of the EU as it currently exists is in no way dependent on what the Sequel Trilogy does. Depending on the actual content of the Sequel Trilogy, we will likely get tie-in media that conforms only to said content, but those types of novels will in no way impact or lead to the cessation of the perpetuation of the EU as it currently exists.

J-327 likes this.
  14. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Yeah... but Del Rey's loss of the publishing license in 2014 and the way their tying up their current character arcs rather suggests the post-RoTJ (NJO) EU as we know it is coming to a close.

15. kevmp

kevmp Jedi Master star 3

May 4, 2011
    LOL. I FINALLY forced myself to read the Jedi prince books this summer after 20 years of avoiding them...wow was it ever not worth the wait. But hey maybe Trioculus could work as a movie villain. The YJK were tolerable I found. Jude Watsons chapter books are the best junior reader stuff, they are better than many adult novels. Crystal Star anyone?

16. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Felt that way about it myself - until I played Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy and then read the slotting-in retcons on the Wook -- then it became (slightly) more tolerable!

17. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I wasn't aware that Del Ray's license was set to expire in 2 years, but their loss of the license does not in any way mean that the existing EU continuity can't or won't be continued and perpetuated by whatever publishing company ends up with the license unless Del Ray has direct ownership of the content of the EU as it currently exists, which I doubt is the case, or unless Del Ray does something super-drastic (like literally nuking the entire SWU) in terms of tying up the story arcs that they're currently overseeing.

One more thing: although it is possible that Lucasfilm and whatever new publisher ends up with the license (probably Hyperion Books or one of the Disney Corporation's other imprints) will decide to hit the 'reset button' insofar as the EU is concerned and start publishing new stuff that only conforms to the content of the Sequel Trilogy, such a scenario is not and should not be considered to be the 'default' scenario, nor will the EU as it currently exists suddenly be wiped from existence if such a scenario does happen.

18. Darth_Leeda

Darth_Leeda Jedi Master star 3

Nov 8, 2002
    I personally believe that all EU writers have to work within a GL "SW constitution" of sorts which features the significant "Do's and Dont's" for the SW EU Universe, leaving it open for the movies.

Even it something does contradict, GL and authors will find a way to explain it.

-DL

19. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    If George Lucas can give us Jar Jar Binks , a hopeless casting of Anakin Skywlaker in EP1 & indead having him as a 9yo , Obi-wan Kenobi 57 yo in EP4 .......then I'm really affraid for what he might do with EP7 there were a lot of contradictions with the Prequels so the contradictions in the sequels vs the EU might be to big for anyone to get there head around .

20. Pandoramber

Pandoramber Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    Wow, I haven't read any of the books in years. My favorite were the X-Wing ones. I was just thinking I should brush up on the series over the next three years, but if you guys are right about the EU being... jettisoned... I guess that would be pointless.

21. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    It's all really speculation at this point, no firm information has been released. Could I recommend you have a look at the EU (books, comics, games) forum - either the LIT or EU Community boards.

22. Pandoramber

Pandoramber Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    Good idea. Thanks!

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    You think they would publish novels in two different "time lines" (for lack of a better word). One that continues the story of Jaina, Ben and company and one that deals with any/all changes made int he movie?

Thats the fastest way to confuse your fan base.

24. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its not a given. People are guessing/assuming based on what has been said by the filmmakers so far, Lucas past attitude toward the EU, Disney and Lucasfilm wanting/needing to make a successful movie rather then an EU movie (which would have a limited appeal) and make money.

And if the X-wing books were your favorite, they just released a Wraith Squadron book in Hardcover (called X-wing).

25. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    But what of the fans -- if they want what the tie-ins aren't providing? For better or worse, LFL knows how much the current 'timeline' novels are generating. Should they shift to the ST 'timeline' and the EU readership votes with their wallets, that cashflow could slow to a trickle. Would LFL/Disney want that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.