main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Tunick? Tunick! Wally World Black Friday worker boycott?

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Nov 16, 2012.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  2. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Hey, Tunick, is this for real? No Walmart on Black Friday??

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    There will ruckus' made throughout many stores across the country on the upcoming Day of Evil, but stores will obviously & unfortunately be open. As terrible as Black Friday is normally, at least in the past it did help that we were closed on Thanksgiving. But beginning in 2010, that changed, and now Black Friday sales begin at 7pm on Thanksgiving night. There is something terribly wrong with our culture & society in which this sort of nonsense is tolerated. Anyone shopping at any Walmart or retail store during this time on Thursday & Friday ought to be ashamed of themselves.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You know, when I was younger, I used to think it might be fun to camp out to await Black Friday. Now I'm like, "OMG, why would you risk pneumonia or other illness just for things that might or might not mean anything to the person you're getting them for!" To say nothing about the likelihood of injury in the stampedes every year when the stores open. The more crazy it gets as years go by, the more I decide my passing fancy was never worth it.

5. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Toys R Us and Target will be open on Thanksgiving as well...same with Walgreens

6. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, some Target employee has a change.org petition up to try and stop Target from doing that.

7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    People hit up WALGREENS before other stores??

8. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Yup... I'm not working either day although I wouldn't mind working on Black Friday.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    For some people it's cheaper than going to the big box stores; especially for stocking stuffers.

10. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    I tried to go shopping one year when my kids were little on the Friday after Thanksgiving. The mall's parking lot was full by 10 a.m., so I just gave up and went home. Went shopping during the week around dinner time--stores were almost empty and there were plenty of the items I wanted to buy on the shelves. Got all my Christmas shopping done in under an hour. Everybody else was either eating dinner at home or at one of the restaurants in the mall.

But, if there's a picket line at Walmart, I won't shop there.

11. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Years ago, I remember going shopping at Target on Black Friday. Not a very good idea.

Fortunately, I've never really gone shopping on Black Friday in recent years, so I've been able to avoid the crowds. And you know what? I've gotten most of my Christmas shopping done already. It helps to shop early and only have to buy for a few family members and friends.

thesevegetables likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i just realized that i have only very fuzzy memories of shopping. it's not my favorite thing.

13. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I actually kind of enjoy working retail on Black Friday. I find it humorous, especially when stupid customers THINK they are getting some kind of great deal...when in actuality the discounted item is simply substandard. :p

For example....every retailer from Wal Mart to Gander Mountain will be selling a Garmin Nuvi 50LM for the "sale" price of $119. "Regular Price" is $179.

Saving sixty dollars, right?

NOPE! It's going to cost you $119 no matter where you go. The reason it is cheaper is because the $119 model is only programmed with the lower 48 states. The more expensive model is programmed with all 50 states, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

And I LOVE IT when people lose their minds when an item sells out.

"What do you MEAN you don't have any more of the half-priced barbecue pits? What did you only have TWO?"
    "No, we had plenty. You just came too late."
    "That's false advertising!"
    *grins* "No. It says 'while supplies last' in the ad. Supplies are now GONE."
    "I'm going to report you to your manager!"
    *grins wider* "She will tell you the exact same thing."

Sauntaero and mrsvos like this.
  14. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    "While supplies last" means you don't get a raincheck, either. And that Garmin thing is just plain mean!

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather squash my boobs between hot irons than shop on Black Friday.

They could give **** away and I still wouldn't do it. And I'm cheap.

16. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Just say you'd rather have a mammogram. It's the same thing, really.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'd rather have a mammogram, a colonoscopy and a root canal at the same time.

18. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Surprise, I got you toothpaste and a bag of Fritos for Christmas!

I believe this calls for reproducing Gabe from Penny Arcade's reflections on Black Friday from a few days ago:

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I moonlighted at a Belk's (department store similar to Macy's or Nordstrom's but smaller in scale for those of you who don't know) in the late 90s. Fortunately I always managed to work the tail end of Black Friday when the crowd had dissipated quite a bit and there was just a lot of mess to clean up. But my question as a 25-year-old was "Why in the **** would anyone go shopping at 6 a.m. if they didn't have to be up that early?" And the answer was always "If they think they can save half a penny, they'll be here at 3 a.m."

As I said, I'm cheap. But there are costs other than money to weigh here.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    My theory is that most of them are doing retail therapy after spending a holiday with their families. Black Friday gives them the opportunity to take their aggression out on other shoppers with little to no consequence, because people are known (and even expected) to act like animals.

21. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Well it WOULD be....but I have enough heart to explain the difference to the customer, even if I'm probably not supposed to. I say "probably" because...well if you are trying to upsale the customer, it's not that bad. Besides, we're supposed to know our products backwards and forwards and match our customer with the best fit for their needs. So even if the customer has money to burn and wants to spend $2800 on a 10" Lowrance Depthfinder/Chartplotter/StructureScan system....we break it down and try to work within what they actually need, even if it means losing over a thousand dollars on the total ticket.
    (because frankly, the $1500 7" setup has most of the same features as the 10" one. You're paying $1300 for three inches of LCD screen and a few car-radio-style preset buttons. It's totally not worth it.)

So I'd be like "Well we have THIS one for $119...but if you ever want to visit Alaska or Hawaii, you'd need THIS one which is $179..."
    Very few people actually buy it (very few people around here have need for Canadian roadways, naturally), but they do appreciate the candor. :)

22. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I worked at a Toys R Us in high school and so I can empathize with you, Tunick. Only real difference between then and now was that the store opened at 9am. I didn't truly hate people before that day...

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And then be shot. :p

24. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    God bless the internet.

Ramza likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000