main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga What plotline, character or scene in the entire Saga irritates you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Hudnall, Mar 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    Errr...nope. I'm very fond of Anakin and Padmé's love story. Certainly it's much, much better than many other popular romances I've seen, both in and out of Star Wars.

2. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012

Such as Twilight. Twilight's dialogue is trillions of times worse than the Sun Battles prequels.............

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  3. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    Hate the whole idea of midichlorians. Even the scientific-ness of it is dumb.
    I mean really, if they can clone humans then they can clone midichlorians.
    Midichlorians take the whole awe-inspiring divinity of the Force away.

I also really really really dislike the "witches" of star wars and the "sith alchemy" and "sith magic". I mean really yeah this is a fantasy franchise but it just takes it all away.
    The Force was seen as a mystical thing, one that is amazing just because of the words that Yoda spoke in the ESB. But when you add in all these powers, like jumps from incredible heights to ridiculous powers like making a bubble around you in the water or tutaminus, it just takes some of it away. I mean I guess it's plausible cause like "why not?" but it makes the force users seem invincible and capable of anything.

And the whole magic and alchemy just pisses me off. This is Star Wars, not some medieval fantasy land that has a magic man making special potions out of a cauldron or transforming creatures into "sith animals".

And I DESPISE how many times people are reborn by cloning. Palpatine is reborn countless times, and if that wasn't bad enough, a ton of other characters are cloned, like Starkiller. I do like the Clone Army, but I don't like how people are "reborn".

I don't really like anything that strays from the saga too far. Like TOR, or the Rakata Empire, or the Yuuzhan Vong invasion...I mean other than lightsabers, jedi vs sith, and the same planet names, what is tying that to the saga at all? Change the lightsabers into swords, have the jedi and sith just the good and bad sides, and instead of planets have different locations with different terrain on a map, and what do you have? A totally different game.
    How does the Rakata Empire have anything to do with the saga?! Nothing. There's no connection to it whatsoever.

How does "Sith Alchemy" have anything to do with the saga? Nothing.

I know it's a franchise but all people have to do is make sure there's lightsabers and jedi/sith and some notable planets, plast on the title of Star Wars, and it's part of the star wars canon.

I like EU source material. I like the story of the Rakata Infinite Empire and many others. But I wish they would connect it more to the saga instead of just plasting the Star Wars name on it.

Like seriously. Let's say Centerpoint Station wasn't for some reason accepted into star wars canon. They guys just tweak some technical details and bam! sell it to Star Trek and it's part of the Star Trek universe.

IDK.

It's fun knowing that there's info out there. It makes it seem more real when you are getting into Star Wars. But I only really like things that are connected with the saga. Not a totally random person who makes stuff up and it's taken as canon.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Palpatine may be into it to some extent, though the films never prove this.

5. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    False. Read the EU/Expanded Universe, bro...

6. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
  7. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Characters:
    Boss Nass, Jar Jar Binks, Kitster and the other kids in Mos Espa, Jabba the Hutt in any episode except Jedi, Ric Olie, Captain Panaka, Queen Amidala, Yoda in the prequels, General Grievous, the library woman, the four-armed diner dude, Jango Fett, Boba Fett in Clones, Mas Amedda, Watto...they all annoy me equally...no, Boss Nass wins. Hate that guy.

Plotlines:
    Throw out the "haters gonna hate" card if you will but I honestly find most plotlines in the prequel trilogy irritating, mostly because they make so little sense. I guess the winner is uhm...the whole taxation/trade routes-plotline in The Phantom Menace, it just ... blows in all its laid-bare flaws.

Scene:
    Now this is a hard one because there are several that irritate me personally. Basically all scenes in Clones are irritating for some reason, most Gungan scenes in Menace, the Wookiee-scenes in Sith, Yoda in all his prequel scenes, oh what the heck, most prequel scenes irritate me - but the most irritating scene still goes to an original trilogy film, but it's kind of cheating as I'm talking Special Editions now: Hayden-Ghost, Han & Jabba in landing bay 94, Han shoots first, and most other added scenes. They irritate me more because the films were already fine as they were (liked the added dogfight bits in A New Hope, though - they didn't mess up characterization or plot).

Yunners likes this.
  8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    I can't take anyone seriously who hates on Dex or Watto.

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Both major wars on the US territory started because of taxation/tarifs issues.

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Or Jango Fett! "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi!". Best line in Clones.

11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It's grown on me. Aside from the fireplace scene, which I think was unnecessarily over the top, I like the rest of them, especially once they live Naboo.

12. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    Character: Jar Jar Binks. Typical, but logical at the same time. I don´t even think 3 year olds find him funny.
    Scene: 3PO´s unfortunate scenes on the Geonosis arena. Makes him look like a bad Jar Jar clone, being even more ridiculous. Ok, maybe not that ridiculous, but I find his scene (in the middle of a huge battle and a jedi carnage) to be horribly placed.
    Plotline: The jedi massacre and the galactic public´s sudden hate for them in RotS. Don´t get me wrong, it irritates me but for the right reasons. The plot is meant to irritate and it does a good job at that.

13. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Qui-Gon could have simply observed that the force was strong with him -- unusually strong. Stronger than he has ever sensed before.

No need for Midichlorians. AT ALL.

And it's not even used as a plot device or payoff later in the film or series... Like it would have been useful to BLOOD TEST EVERYBODY IN THE SENATE TO FIND THE SITH THEY ARE LOOKING FOR.

Other annoyances? Obviously Jar-Jar. The fact that the Jedi order were so STUPID and didn't look into the origin of the clone army AT ALL and the fact that the template for the clone army ran FROM CAMINO right to the separatists when chased. Or the fact that Anakin couldn't take any of Sidious' many hints about his true nature or why he would know ANYTHING about the force... Everybody in the prequels is an idiot.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Because nothing happens between films?

15. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Let's say they did, what could they do about it? Using the clones was out of their hands once the war started.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  16. Corran1138

Corran1138 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2012
    Dex is the man.

17. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    The actors who did Dex & Watto were amazing...they made those character very real. If someone is not able to see that, that's terrible.The Dex guy reminds me like he could Hans dada of friends with Han Solos dad. Old school scodrel type.

Alexrd likes this.
  18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    Some I don't like is Tarkin should have been in ROTS a lil more, dooku should have breifly been in Episode 1, not enough imperial leads in OT movies. Should have gave Veers more screen time in ROTJ.Needa was cool

19. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    They didn't see it happening before their very eyes (<cough>template of the clone army runs FROM Camino TO Geonosis, not to mention he tried to assassinate the senator opposed to the creation of an army that was already created). What makes you think they figured anything out between the two films? They don't seem to have deduced anything about the time period of TPM (pointless blockade, killing Syfo Dias, ordering the clones) or they would have correctly concluded Palpatine is behind it all. Seems they're still using the clones and still don't know that the Confederacy is a straw man. They're all idiots because the plot requires that all of them be idiots. The slightest bit of reasoning would have foiled Palpatine's plan.

So tell me,what makes you think they did an ounce of investigation between films?

20. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Take your pick:

1) The ROTS dialogue that implies they did. Things happen between movies.
    2) The EU book that proves they did ( which benefited from Lucas input ).
    3) The fact that appeal to ignorance ( didn't see it, didn't happen ) is still a fallacy.

Remedial viewing of TPM is advised.

Unless investigation leads to a dead end and nothing points to Palpatine's involvement.

Because nothing they know implies that. You only know that because of being spoon-fed it as a member of the audience. Without knowing that Palpatine is a Sith that conclusion makes no sense whatsoever.

Alexrd likes this.
  21. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    General Grevious's sickness never being told to the audience. You had to have watched the Clone Wars series to know why he was sick, and to me, it should have been explained in the film.

22. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Is that really a big deal though? Throughout the entirety of the OT, we never really find out what's wrong with Vader either. We just know he has to use the suit and that this may or may not be related to injuries he received (the scars on his head being the only indication). And Vader was a much more prominent character than Grievous.

23. Trask Ulgo

Dec 8, 2012
    PiettsHat (love the name btw) You are right, it just bothers me probably because he is introduced and then killed.

24. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011
    Thanks. :)

That's a fair point. I guess I just always took the coughing as a shorthand method for Lucas to tell the audience that Grievous was organic. That way, there wouldn't be confusion when Obi-Wan shot his heart out. He was set-up as a foreshadowing of Vader, after all -- more machine than man.

25. Trask Ulgo

Dec 8, 2012
    I never thought about that, thanks that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.