main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The Expanded Universe Senate

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Sinrebirth , Sep 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    That's the second time in 24 hours that someone copied me word for word concerning this vote! I think I should become a speech writer!

Sent from the future using psychic implants.

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  2. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    [face_laugh]

On the vote subject:

After speaking with the patrons of the BMC, I believe I have a more informed vote. So let the record say: Yay for the EUDF, and Nay for the Haters Club/Association.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Sure, you can write my speeches anytime...

zarkinfrood likes this.
  4. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    Just somebody who isn't really a senator chiming in here with an idea (unless my still active role with a currently dead fan club, the Twilight Templars, counts): Why not make the hater's club into a rants discussion instead, with very specific rules in place as to avoid conflict?

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk 2

5. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I'm okay with that. I wouldn't mind a rant thread.

6. BultarSwan

BultarSwan Founder: Grand Rapids, MI FF star 10

Jul 5, 2003
    Senator for the Guardians of Light: Verdict: Yay for the EU Defense Force and Nay for the Hater's Thread.

7. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    Chancellor, are we putting a time limit to this vote?

Adalia-Durron likes this.
  8. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I'm no senator but I'd like to chime in to see the old EUDF back, particularly in the light of the new trilogy. It may be needed.

9. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I wanted to make sure we had enough views that we have a semi-decent majority, as I acknowledge that the vote was on a Wednesday.

I think we can agree that we have that sufficiently now.

However, by serendipity, I have been separately contacted by Katana_Geldar, who was looking to unlock the old thread, which is here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...orce-home-base.20272584/page-55#post-31625229

I have invited Katana to our discussion, and we can decide on unlocking the above, or a new EUDF. For a new era, a new thread may be appropriate. That the OP has truncated the mission statement may also bear comment. We are, after all, not trying to inspire a new wave of haters by being aggressively positive. As such, consulting with an EUDF member maybe appropriate, to ensure this is created correctly.

So please, I give the floor to the Expanded Universe Defence Force Lieutenant Katana_Geldar

*politely claps*

EDIT: Who has already arrived!

10. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, it's been a while since I've been in my old uniform. I agree with the idea for a new thread for a new era, espeicaly with the fact that there a lot of people who just don't post any more. I'd say most of the command staff.

But that's more internal issues. What I have seen around the boards, particularly in the Episode VII thread, is the same need for the EUDF that used to be there back in the 3SA days of the canon wars. We're going to have new people coming to the boards, hopefully. They need to be shown how to play nice.

11. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I held off on voting either for or against this as I debated with myself as to whether it was "too soon" or not to re-establish the EUDF. However, if there are enough willing individuals to recreate the group (with a non-truncated mission statement :p ), I have no objections. Though I certainly do hold some reservations.

[​IMG]

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Here is the problem, as I see it. We can't just go around to other TF.N forums and essentially troll them.(Forgive me if thats not what this is about, but thats how it reads) The Movie Forums basically have a no EU policy, EU discussion constantly gets shut down in the TV Forum, outside of designated threads and I'd assume people excited about the new film aren't really interested in debating this with EU fans either.

At least I now have a somewhat detailed explanation of what the EUDF is, but I remain unsure of what it will bring us and what the benefits are.

In discussing this with members of the Oya club we couldn't find any activity from the old EUDF since like 2003. If we have people like Katana willing to run the enterprise, and others willing to contribute then there is no reason not to bring it back, but my concerns remain. I don't believe a canon battle is what the membership of the Mandalorian Fan Club is looking for, as in inviting others here just to debate canon in our topic.

13. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Robimus, have you been to the episode VII board? There's quite a few EU threads and quite a few newbies who are acting like in the old days where we'd swoop in.

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's a defence group, not an aggressive one. I will not countenance the creation of a troll army. As a former member, I can confirm it isn't that!

15. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Troll Army, Clone Army...why does it seem like I am living out a part of Episode II? :p

Is it my understanding then of the EUDF that they simply help to educate the misinformed?

[​IMG]

16. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    That was my understanding of it all. I pioneered Optimist-class Star Wars Fans, and that was the point of it for me - to be positive, and defend against negativity and blatant misinformation.

But, of course, the EUDF will be a temporary measure, and my powers will be given back when the Episode VII crisis ends ;)

17. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
    Having a group of people well versed in the EU and helping to share their knowledge of it with others could be beneficial provided they maintain a "positive" outlook. Especially in this time where we actually know so little of what Episode VII will entail and speculation seems rampant.

[​IMG]

18. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    'Rampant' would be an understatement. I'd go with 'mutated into a horde of mindless zombies that eat themselves just because they can'.

19. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    I personally have stepped into a thread or two to inform or correct a misinformed user about something eu in a polite and informative matter. If that's what this is about, I'm okay with it.

Sent from the future using psychic implants.

20. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    That's all it was ever about, zarkin.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yes.

I've also spent the last five years visiting the TV forum, where there has also been a lot of new users uninterested in the Expanded Universe. I can't offer any comment on how people behaved in the old days, but I have a pretty good handle on how the new TVforum folk reacted to the EU and it wasn't something, by and large, they were interested in discussing.

None the less, that probably would have nothing to do with this. I do feel that if we are popping into other forums representing the EUC enmass that we can expect cliques from those forums to do the same to us. Maybe that would be a good thing, increase traffic here and make this forum more visible overall.

In any case voting on this has ended. I will be interested to see how this goes forward and how the EUDF works on the current forums.

22. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
    So it seems that we have reached a conclusion. Now who do we have start the EUDF thread?

23. zark

zark Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2009
    Meeee!

Yeah, not serious in the slightest. I would like someone who has at least some history with the old thread.

24. Bardan_Jusik

Dec 14, 2009
  25. BultarSwan

Jul 5, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.