main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Young Jedi arc has actually been rather good so far..

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    .. I wasn't expecting that. I really went into Young Jedi expecting it to be a canon version of Padawan Menace. I must say halfway through, the arc has been solid, far more solid than the Onderon arc, and we've even had the great Doctor bless this arc with his appearance. The first episode was rather Mortis like with the art, and the second episode featured great acting, I know, something shocking for the show. The next episode is going to have, for the first time in 2 seasons I kid you not, an epic space battle, droid vs clones, that ties into everything. The Padawans, meh, what can I expect. But they're not anything as bad as Ahsoka was that age, that's for dang sure. Easily the best arc since the Hardeen arc, perhaps since Umbara.

Dark-Fox and ninjaofthenight801 like this.
  2. ninjaofthenight801

ninjaofthenight801 Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 19, 2011
    And what this arc has going for it (at least from what we've seen so far) is a consistently linear storytelling. Many of the other arcs felt really rushed or really slow at times, or even both. While the last 2 haven't been my favorite episodes, I'm impressed by their usage of the 22 min time frame. to tell a complete episode that has clear endings/resolutions, yet seamlessly integrates into the next. Onderon just felt so choppy to me.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I am fairly surprised as well. This arc has had an episodic format that nevertheless flows into the next one pretty well. I am quite looking forward to the next installment.

Seerow likes this.
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I think our ambivalence stemmed from the fact that we weren't sure is this was to be part of the show-proper or it's own little special. Or whether it was to be geared toward kids even more than usual or not. I think it's a neat arc so far, with tomorrow's episode looking really cool.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This arc turned the season around for me. "The Gathering" started slow but the last two have been great. A nice combo of crack baby cartoon and mature action show. It doesn't really feel tuned down despite having kiddies as the lead characters. They are kinda a refreshing break from the regular cast. Hondo has been alot of fun. Seriously a large part of that is how awesome a performance Jim Cummings gives to that character. Everyone give Mr. Cummings a big round of applause! I also gotta admit its fun to have a character like Petrol to hate on which in truth enhances that arc. The short battle was great. I'm hoping to last episode completes the package.

And I apparently got awarded a trophy for being crazy. I'm proud of this trophy.

6. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm enjoying this Arc

Seerow likes this.
  7. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Myself as well.

Generally, Clone Wars has been at its best when it has focused on the Clone Wars itself, and these sidetracks into character focused episodes have tended towards the mediocre. But this time they really nailed it.

Heck, they sold me on the concept of a show all about young jedi learning about the force and fighting crime.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    This last one kinda had a seasons 1/2 vibe with the way it switch back and forth between Obi-wan getting attacked and the Younglings antic. Its been a while since we had an episode going back and forth between two kinda connected stories happening in different places. Reminded me vaguely of the "The Deserter".

9. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I liked the multiple stories at the same time setup. It feels more like the movies. (I hope you're taking notes Mr. Filoni! :D)

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Really it is the same formula when I think about it, it just works. You got the slower paced character driven stuff switching back and forth with some action between Kenobi and Grievous. Then at the end the slower paced characters get into some major action. Its just "The Deserter" isn't nor is it supposed to be funny. The Younglings are. Lol, make me think this arc does infact need a Clone Trooper tagging along with the kids. More Clones hugging kids, damnit. Obi-wan should have sent Boil. =b

11. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I love this arc. It has been pretty flawless so far with bringing a ton of new stuff to the table.

Especially the latest one that even gave Grievous another victory.

I am really happy with this arc. Maybe the reason this arc is sooooo good is cause the show is finally having fun like the old days and not trying to preach messages like on Onderon or Umbara.

ninjaofthenight801 likes this.
  12. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm quite surprised at this arc. I'm enjoying it a lot. I certainly didn't think it would be one I'd like!

13. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    If you boil petrol, you might get an explosion. :p

14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    QuangoFett

Good, boil the little weasel.

omg, what have you caused me to say? Why bro why?

ninjaofthenight801 likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    you my friend need to relax about Umbara :p :cool:

16. Qual

Qual Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2009
    IMO this has probably been the best arc since Umbara. TCW is a really strong show when they have an actual story to tell. And isn't great to see a diverse cast of Jedi!

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  17. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    I am relaxed. I usually just give Umbara as an example of a really preachy and weak arc. Something this arc is not....

18. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    I thought Umbara was a great arc with a great story. Everything was leading up into Krell being a traitor, what's more is Krell wasn't a separatist, he wanted to be apart of the Galactic Empire, which remains our only real foreshadowing of the rise of the Empire in the show (that and the Mortis episode). Besides, it gets rated so high because it's a shock to see the Clone Wars in the show, The Clone Wars. :p

19. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    As much as I like to agree with ya, the eventual fall of Krell could have been done much better with less painful chatter, badly written pandering and from what he said, Krell wanted to join Dooku. Not the Empire.
    But I have said this a million times and this is not the place for Umbara.

Having said that Young Jedi has a better story than Umbara.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  20. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I have enjoyed the arc despite feeling that the pirates had a distinct lack of menace. Is there more to come or was it a three-parter?

I just can't help but feel that the writers have missed a trick on the Rescue episode. We saw two episodes that gave us more insight into the life of young jedi before reaching padawan status but neglected to follow up with more of the same by wasting the opportunity on a "children are useful" sentiment.

Don't get me wrong, I thought it was done quite well considering all the things that on paper look dubious, but I would have preferred to see the life of an initiate theme explored further. I mean,I've seen rescue missions before but the little clip at the begining of The Gathering showing the younglings in a sort of martial arts class is actually interesting to me.

21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    There's one more episode.

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    There is one more part. Hmmm... not only are the pirates funny I find them to be genuinely more threatening than the standard monster of the day type villains. Hondo seems more interesting and more menacing than say Morallo Eval to me. I didn't really get a "children are useful" vibe from "A Test of Strength". If there is a moral I feel like they are going more toward "Believe in ones self" or something continuing on "The Gathering". Really if they want to make some sorta moral statement someone needs to call Petrol's punk ass out.

23. Dark-Fox

Dark-Fox Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I was referring to the Bound for Rescue episode rather than A Test of Strength (which I really enjoyed). In Bound for Rescue it was a forgone conclusion that five children should be able to succeed against Hondo's pirates. After all, Jar Jar did.

I've never met a real life pirate (unless you count the bloke in work with the dvds) but I would probably be disappointed if they weren't the meanest, toughest low-lifes I've ever encountered. It is only because Hondo is so charming and fun that the pirate concept works for me. He comes across as a being not to be trifled with, I just wish his band shared that trait.

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011

Whoops. I mean "Bound for Rescue" <<;

Yeah it was pretty predictable the kids would Rescue Ashoka but, TCW usually is predictable like that. With TCW its always about the Journey and not the end result. You just have to sit back and enjoy the ride.

And I thought Hondo was plenty mean. Ahsoka had apparently gotten beaten by the pirates and Hondo was taunting her about her thirst denying her a beverage. That's torture my friend.

Really, dunno about you, I wouldn't really want to meet Hondo.

25. KED12345

Sep 10, 2012
    He said that the Republic would be ripped apart from the inside, and in its place would rise a new order, and he would rule as part of it. He assumed Dooku was the Dark Lord of the Sith, many Jedi thought that this Sidious was a fabrication from Dooku. He foresaw the rise of the Empire, and assumed Dooku would be the Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.