main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation We need a return to Epic Space Battles

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by artooo, Nov 16, 2012.

1. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    The battle of yavin iv, battle of endor. The dogfights, chatter between the pilots
    "cover me!"

"I'm going in!"

"setting up for our attack run!"

"Pull up! No I can hold it!"

"We've got to give those fighters more time, concentrate all fire on that super star destroyer!"

"Intensify the forward batteries!"

You get the point. In the OT, these were a bigger part of the films than even lightsabers. The battle at the beginning of ROTS....eh. More of the cliche hollywood lines and cheesy action(Think Michael Bay films) instead of the drama of seeing red leader go down in A New Hope. We need more of the good stuff.

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  2. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    Yeah, real pilots and not buzz droids / vulture droids etc.

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  3. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    While I am huge prequel fan, I would tend to agree on this. It is a fact that TPM had a very brief space battle at the end, AOTC didn't have ANY space battle, and the ROTS space battle was longer and of a larger scale but actually only clocks in at like 5-7 minutes long and a nice chunk of that is Anakin messing around with the buzz droids.

To me, it was all good. The prequels had more to offer than a bunch of long epic space battles and still worked without the big long flashy space battles.

But IMHO for the sequel trilogy, I think we need to get back to longer, more involved, and more epic space battles.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    "Has anyone seen Red Five?"
    "Red Five, where are you?"
    I CAN'T SHAKE HIM!

Yeah, I could go for some space battles.

artooo likes this.
  5. JediofJade

JediofJade Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 1999
    So here for this.

The X-wing was one of my first fascinations in the SW universe at the tender age of 8, and 18 years later he dog fight scenes remain some of my favorite parts of the two trilogies. To me, the space fights seem to encapsulate the spirit of the movies just as much as a lightsaber duel.

nitinblurayfan likes this.
  6. Obi-Wong

Obi-Wong Jedi Knight

Jan 30, 2012
    My favorite space battle still is from ROTJ.

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Obviously the battles don't HAVE to take place in space either...

"That armor is too strong for blasters! Rogue group, use your harpoons and tow cables, Go for the legs! It might be our only chance of stopping them!"

"Luke I've got a malfuntion in fire control"

"Just hang on. Hang on Dack! Get ready to fire that tow cable."

"Dack? Dack!"

"Rogue 3!"

"Copy, Rogue Leader"

"Wedge, I've lost my gunner. You'll have to make this shot. I'll cover for you. Set your harpoon. Follow me on the next pass."

"Coming around, Rogue Leader"

"Steady Rogue 2!"

"Activate harpoon."

"Good shot Janson!"

8. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Couldn't agree more! Loved the space/ground battles of the originals...

9. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I second this notion: something we need in VII is a real throw-down, balls-to-the-wall, kick-ass dogfight. I'm actually kind of heartened by the work ILM did on Red Tails; whatever can be said about the quality of that film, the air combat scenes were quite spectacular. And as an aside I'd love to see X-Wings again, although I'm sure they'd be sleeker, newer models.

nitinblurayfan likes this.
  10. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    SPACEBATTLES MUST HAPPEN.

11. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    As I said... space isn't required... atmospheric battles are just as awesome... the bottom line is we need fighter squadrons involved!

12. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    FIne

ATMOSPHERIC BATTLES MUST HAPPEN

fishtailsam likes this.
  13. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    My name is YTAP and I approve this message.

14. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    BTW - I would not want Michael Bay for it at all though. He doesn't even know what's going on in his action sequences, so how the hell can the viewer figure it out? He's so over the top with the action, it all just becomes a mashed up muddled blur.

Need sense and order to the action to follow a dog fight. Big, yet not completey and utterly chaotic.

15. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Why would you want Michael Bay?!?!

Somehow the American military will show up.....

16. artooo

artooo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Recommending Michael Bay was the last thing I was doing...

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While dogfights are fun- I want to see more focus on capital ships. Tactical manuevering, concentrated firepower, etc.

18. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I would also like to see a good slugfest between capital ships, as I found the Battle of Coruscant to be mostly a cluttered mess.

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  19. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Just to be fair to the PT the circumstances were different. So you wouldn't have that feeling of intense pain when rebels lose one. When the rebels are fighting they are theunderdog, less in num,bers and ragtag. Totally different situation.

20. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    Great point actually OP. The PT battles are pretty devoid of feeling (partly due to the very nature of them I suppose, who cares about clones and droids?)

One of my most powerful memories of SW actually is when that Y-Wing (or is it B-Wing?) pilot in RotJ screams "I'm hiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!" before spiralling out of control and exploding. I always used to feel really sad for that guy when I was a kid!

21. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Dogfighting is always exciting, air to ground can be; but capital ship engagements would be much less so IMHO; they're just so ponderous - it's always a matter of getting into position to bring the maximum number of weapons against the minimum number.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They weren't all that ponderous in the Thrawn trilogy- we had Victory-class ships dropping out of hyperspace, delivering massive broadsides, and pulling away before the enemy can hit back.

Some settings (Star Trek DS9 for example) basically show almost as much "dogfighting" between capital ships as SW does between fighters.

And there's an element of it in The Clone Wars- with the stealth corvette being chased by missiles.

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I guess RotS and TCW don't count?

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I didn't see much ship to ship maneuvering in RoTS. Though, as I said, there was more of it in TCW.

25. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Remember ESB and the slow-motion collision? That's the sort of thing I'm talking about.