main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Too many similar names

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Nov 16, 2012.

1. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Remember Nichos Marr? From Children of the Jedi?

When I heard Crosscurrent had a Marr in it, I got all excited, thinking it would turn out to be some kind of reference to the forgotten Bantam-era Jedi. But no, it's the first name of a completely unrelated spacer.

And now TOR:Annihilation gives us a Darth Marr, again obviously unrelated (for a second I was thinking about a nod to Nichos over multiple generations, but aside from this being Karpyshyn it wouldn't make sense anyway because Sith names usually aren't family names).

I find this to be hugely irritating. I wouldn't mind seeing a few Jax Pavans (or even unrelated Skywalkers) running around the galaxy, because that would make lots of sense IU... but this kind of meaningless recurrence just reeks of lazy editors.

I'm sure there are more cases like that... another recent example I can think of is the fact that we got a character by the name of Lord Scourge in Revan and the TOR game pretty much at the same time that Scourge (the totally unrelated NR-era novel) came out. Who thought of that? [face_chicken]

2. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    The worst one is Nute Gunray/Rute Gunnay/Rune Haako :oops:

thesevegetables likes this.
  3. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I always get confused by there being two characters called Anakin.

4. cthugha

Sep 24, 2010
    :p
    That's not what I meant and you know it.

I also tend to get confused when I read summaries of all those LotF/FotJ novels I have never read, with all those Dorvans and Dorvald and wasn't there another person with a similar name? Overall I kind of have the feeling that most recent new names were sort of unoriginal and similar-sounding, but that may just be because I don't follow the post-NJO EU closely enough to really get to know these people as characters.

5. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Yeah, jokes aside I know what you mean. I've found a lot of the recent names very uncreative and generic too.

If there was one thing Lucas was good at, at least he's always had a knack for catchy names. Bantam used to be good too. Lately, it's all Darth this or Just-One-Letter-Different that.

I'd like to see more C'baoths and Qui-Gons. Admittedly the books have tried exotic names recently... but lately their attempts have just felt completely awkward, rather than catchy like the films.

6. cthugha

Sep 24, 2010
    Ooh, reading on through Annihilation, I just met Darth Mortis.

Waiting for him to use a dagger, now. :p

7. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Hah. I had the exact same thought when I read that name in the Annihilation thread. :p

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I can see the annoyance of too many similar names in the same place or at the same time, but I really can't get behind the idea that because "Marr" was once used as a character's last name, that pretty basic sound can only be reused in the context of some relative of him. A galaxy is a big, big, big place. Names can't be perfectly unique in a galaxy of trillions over 25,000 years. I'd actually prefer some more recurrence -- the sort of stuff that Jason's done quite a bit of, in making sure that some first names see reuse among the supporting cast, so it's not as if Arhul Hextrophon is the only Arhul in the entire history of the galaxy. It makes it feel more like a place that's actually lived in by people, than a fictional construct where once somebody has a name, that's it for that name forevermore.

Ulicus , Bib Fartuna and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Ha, Marr. Funny thing about that name... that's the last name of a character from KOTOR II, Visas Marr. When I was creating my family name in TOR, I had a miraluka Jedi Knight, and I couldn't think of anything, so I thought, why the hell not, I'll have him be related to Visas. So my Legacy name in TOR is... Marr :p

Am I the only one who wants to see another Luke Skywalker fumbling around? Or at least a Skywalker, considering it's supposed to be a fairly common name (though of course, "common" in a galaxy of trillions might not be common as we think of it). Bonus points if he's totally insignificant and/or gets killed moments after his introduction.

10. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Yes, I get annoyed, because I have to keep track of this.
    But people have the same names in real life. And the SW universe is way bigger than ours. Why wouldn't this happen?

TrakNar likes this.
  11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Even when you take into account that the occurrence of an unrelated Skywalker could be confusing (it would pretty much have to be played up as a gag where he complains that he's constantly being asked if he's any relation), you'd think there would at least be a few other Lukes somewhere in the galaxy. Or Hans, or Leias. But we never see Han Antilles of Talus, or New Sith Wars-era Jedi Leia Diath, or ancient Supreme Chancellor Luke Montero. Apparently, they're the GFFA-version of Moon Unit, Pilot Inspektor, and Jermajesty.

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I would honestly love a disgruntled, surly soldier/pilot named Skywalker that gets incredibly pissy every time he's asked if there's any relation. Could make a good Wraith...

But yeah, the distinct lack of renaming, outside the small group of main characters who respectfully name their children after their elders, in the galaxy annoys me *. I don't demand a work of fiction, especially Star Wars fiction, emulate real life in every way it can, but little things like that go a long way towards establishing a believable universe; I read Star Wars books for the expansion of the universe, after all, and one of the most important things is to make me believe that people, not just characters, live in this galaxy.

*On my most recent playthrough of KOTOR, I had Revan's programmed identify be Skywalker... felt oddly appropriate, to think of the Jedi Council saying, "oh, we'll just give him some random common name".

Ulicus and thesevegetables like this.
  13. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Guy who is related but doesn't live up to expectations: Melvin Fett.

14. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm actually thrilled to have the one steve limit broken more and more. Just like skywalker is supposed to be a fairly common name, it's nice to see that the galaxy is not one big extended family.

15. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Darth Bane
    Cad Bane
    Bane Malar
    Bane Nothos
    Tarnta Bane

Darth Talon
    Talon Karrde

bunch o'Jax Pavans

16. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Look through any phonebook and you will find name repetition. I, for one, like it when names, particularly surnames, are reused. We have name repetition, why wouldn't the GFFA?

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I like the idea that there's a Luke Skywalker running around and he has to keep telling people "no, I'm not that one." Depending on the era, he could either keep being accidentally invited to fetes and speaking engagements, or he might accidentally keep being arrested every time he tries to check in at a spaceport...

18. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Ganner Rhysode
    Ganner Krieg

Valin Draco
    Antares Draco (not related)

Mission Vao
    not related to:
    Shado Vao and Astraal Vao

19. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Particularly if there was another Han Solo....

20. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Or another R2-D2 and another C-3PO...
    These aren't the droids you're looking for...

Rew and Tim Battershell like this.
  21. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn and TrakNar like this.
  22. cthugha

Sep 24, 2010
    I have nothing against reoccurring names, especially if they serve to make the EU look more "realistic" as their use in EGtW etc does. I just think that e.g. using "Marr" in three different capacities (last name, first name, Sith alias) simply doesn't do that. So IMO it has none of the upsides of reusing names, while it has the downside of... I was going to say confusing readers, but we're not that stupid. Of annoying readers like me who actually think they could come up with some original and memorable names again.

So, the Ganner thing is definitely a repetition I like -- especially as Ganner Krieg could so be named after The Legendary Ganner. And just thinking... if Anakin Skywalker was as popular among kids and families during the Clone Wars as the beginning of the Stover RotS novelization claims, I can so see thousands of little Anakins running around the GFFA... becoming Stormtroopers eventually and annoying the hell out of Vader when they're calling each other by their given name on duty... heh. Lots of possibilities there.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Perhaps they're like the Dakotas in that nobody's quite sure what the difference between them is.

TrakNar likes this.
  24. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    This conversation made me think of the KOTOR name randomizer, so I launched KOTOR to see what I would get.

Made a male character, hit 'randomize name' several times and came up with the following:

Jinn Lana
    Luke Delwynn
    Brogus Organis
    Aiden Polo
    Luke Jast
    Garm Baill
    Talon Khaal

Did the same with a female character:

Mira Kast
    Seraya Organ
    Mara Sora
    Liah Sanis
    Maria Dracken
    Leela Baill
    Mala Kinstar
    Leira Khan
    Leira Winstar

25. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Sometimes Star Wars names can get a little samey for me at times, in that alot of names have common syntax when an author is just throwing together a C-list character.

Make up a two syllable word, and a one syllable word, or have both of them have two syllables if you're feeling saucy. Don't matter which one is the surname or first name. Throw in a hard consonant somewhere, and BAM. Star Wars name.