main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Too many similar names

Discussion in 'Literature' started by cthugha, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I could see that if it was a more complex, namey name getting reused in different positions. But it's just a very simple one-syllable sound. Right here on Earth, we can have Lee Lee, Lee Leigh, Leigh Lee, Leigh Leigh, Leigh Li, and Lee Li all using the alias Le Chiffre. Not to mention all the more complicated sounds that have their place as both first and last names -- Martin Martin, Jackson Jackson, George George, James James, Gerald Gerald, Fitzroy Fitzroy, Landon Landon, Alexander Alexander. I'm all for stronger creative naming (too many of the new names are too dire, and I'm still waiting for EU writers to recognize that three-letter full names are not a hundredth as common a thing as they all seem to think), but I don't think Marr is really in the problem area here.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ever take a look at the "Smith" section of a phone directory? Massive. And lots of repetition in the given names.

3. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Well Luke Skywalker is the Grand Master of the Jedi Order, hello, good morning to you!

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You're neglecting the most confusing ones:

Even Piell
    Even Piell

Adi Gallia
    Adi Gallia
    Adi Gallia

See what happens with a lack of name creativity?

5. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Smith? I thought they only went DAR to LEK!

6. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Bail Antilles
    Wedge Antilles
    Bail Organa
    Captain Antilles

Even GL thought is was OK.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    If "Skywalker" is the 'Smith' of the SW Galaxy, perhaps "Antilles" is the 'Jones'?

8. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    That was actually Jon & Jan's intention. I've been meaning to add that to the "Behind the scenes" section of Krieg's Wook article; thanks for the reminder; I'll do it now.

My favourite is Hrekin Thorm and Threkin Horm.

Absolutely it is! That's the joke behind Jon Antilles. Steve Sansweet once said this:

"It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2's former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope."

Even though the original sw.com link is dead, he was quoted a lot.

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Allow me to introduce you to Dr. Henrietya "Corellia" Antilles, galaxy-trotting xenoarchaeologist.

TrakNar and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Which works out to be the equivalent to Henrietya Jones, a distaff counterpart to Henry Jones, which would make Corellia equivalent to "Indiana." Actually, Indiana is known for the Indianapolis raceway, which fits with the Corellian thing for fast ships.
    Anyone want to guess there is a major "Corellian Spaceway" racing track and a Corellian 5000 racing series?