main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Will Disney make Star Wars cooler?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by JoeyArnold, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    over-exaggerated.

2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    lol...perfect response......lmao

3. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Cut down with the quotes people... keep only the relevant portions!

4. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Thank You!!!!

5. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    People always throw out the race card too freely these days...

6. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    ?????????????

7. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    you are a dick "quote me"

Darth_Kiryan likes this.
  8. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    You're the one calling a Yoda picture with big hair racist... nothing racist about it IMO.

9. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    Good point.

I know I get flamed for being condescending (even though I don't think I am) but lets look at the facts:

1) Disney is a business and it's goal is to make money and be profitable.
    2) Lucasfilm is more than just "Star Wars", one of it's biggest components was Industrial Light and Magic, #1 special effects houses in Hollywood. By Disney owning ILM, they can now put Paramount, 20th Century Fox, etc at a disadvantage. Lucas Arts, they gain gaming. The list goes on and on.
    3) Disney wants to own the "brand". Buying a brand then drastically changing it defeats the purpose. It would be like "Motorcycle Company X" buying Harley-Davidson then drastically changing the style to "metro scooter based". It wouldn't make sense.

However there is a fear that Disney will try to widen the SW fan-base. Try to make it appeal to MORE demographics. If they think a "Twilight" style story will get more teen girls, they might go that direction. If they want to go more for Academy Award style, then they might go more serious and dramatic. Like Saurion-Fett said: 'One persons '"cool" is anothers "Cringe moment"'.. I myself hope they don't change it at all, because if you "change" SW too much, is it really SW anymore?!?!?

10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    I don't think you have to worry about major changes to Star Wars by Disney management. George Lucas is a shrewd buisnessman. He's not going to just close his eyes and give Disney the keys to do whatever they want to his life's work. You KNOW he has protections in the deal to keep the integrity of the brand. That's why Kathleen Kennedy is now President of Lucas Films. The creative control is in her hands, not Disney's. She says what goes into the films. Disney likely has only "Go or no go" final say in what is presented to them as a project Lucas Film will work on.

11. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    OH MY GOSH DISNEY SHOULD MAKE STAR WARS LOOK LIKE THE LOVE CHILD OF THE MATRIX AND TRON.

THAT WOULD BE SO COOOOOUUUULLLL!

12. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    This is the primary reason I haven't created a bonfire of all my SW stuff, or had my SW tattoos removed. It's this reason that I'm not making some lame statement like "my childhood is ruined" or "I'll never watch SW again", etc.

However we only have what Lucas, Kennedy and Iger said in their public statements to go off of. Man, what I wouldn't do to see that contract. It may just be a courtesy for the public, and deep down it may be written that Disney can override the wishes of Lucas/Lucasfilm, etc. I agree, as long as Lucas is above ground I couldn't see him living like a hermit not caring as new SW films are released. However, he does seem to be "going" back on his orignal vision. Per all the documentaries and interviews I've watched of him, he has always been "anti-hollywood", doing things his own way. This Disney sellout seems to be a 180, completely opposite of everything he fought for over these years.

13. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    If you are high on somehting, it's not working.

14. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Nah, just mocking the OP.

Saurion-Fett likes this.
  15. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    Oh, the OP is Joey, isn't it? [face_beatup]DUH!

Well, feel free.:D

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is it likely that Disney could scale up stuff from the prequels or OT, on a "more is cooler" perspective? A case could be made that Star Wars has been doing this all along.

We have small-scale telekinetic powers, maxing out at slowly moving an X-wing, in ESB, scaling up in RoTS to hurling lots of Senate pods.

We have Star Destroyers in A New Hope scaling up to Super Star Destroyers in ESB and RoTJ.

We have increasing numbers of lightsaber duels- 1 in ANH, 5 in RoTS.

We have increasing number of lightsabers wielded at a time- 1, 1 double ended, 2, then 4.

Maybe the Big Bad will be an octopus monster with 8 lightsabers, or we'll see a Star Destroyer being dragged up into the landing bay of a Super Duper Star Destroyer in the opening of the movie, or similar.

Even if not quite that extreme, sequel escalation isn't that improbable.

17. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    [quote="phatdude1138, post: 50186487, member: 1162095"
    However there is a fear that Disney will try to widen the SW fan-base. Try to make it appeal to MORE demographics.[/quote]

Doesn't sound like anything to fear to me. The new trilogy should adhere to the established style, but if they're going to be keep going and going and going beyond that then I think it makes a lot of sense to take Star Wars in different directions at different points in time.

And I'm all for "cool" as long as the creators realize there are other ways to be cool then emulate a Whedon/Nolan style.

18. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Needs to be about 20% cooler!