main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion I am now depressed and my excitement for the trilogy has dropped a bit....

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Bleeding0range, Nov 16, 2012.

1. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    Lord Tyrannus.. Hmm I was thinking you were just an idiot! Now I see your baiting ways! Clever..

2. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Ever heard of make-up .

3. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    I can't take this movie seriously because Lando will have a partially gray Afro. Waaaaaaah

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I am so depressed that Chewie let himself go:
    [​IMG]

5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The "age argument" is really getting annoying to me.

1. They look their age, that is completely alright and people should not be discriminated and bashed just because they get old. In my view, that is a form of discrimination that is up there right alongside racism, religious prejudice, gender discrimination and others in those categories.
    2. They have more than enough time to "get in shape" before the filming.
    3. Make-up.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  6. Jeff Vader

Jeff Vader Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    Wow. So much hate. Just flip back 3 weeks, new Star Wars movies weren't even on the agenda. I had wishful thinking that they would happen one day and had this convo with my fiancee a few months back, I just had a feeling that with the Blu Ray releases things were gearing up again. Got shot down in flames for that one!

Didn't GL say once that Mark Hamill would be back for a ST "...if he's old enough"? I'm guessing he always had this in mind but put out all the statements about the movies being done to deflect speculation. Again, just speculation on my part, but I'm guessing we'll see age appropriate versions of characters we love. I really don't wanna see them die, just wind up Ep IX with a big celebration and then if they do X thru XII wind it on 30 years or so and carry on with the younger Skywalkers/Solos

kataja likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not only did he say old enough, he specifically said 60's or 70's.........well Mark is 61 so I'd say he's perfect for the ST.

Jeff Vader likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Be careful though--you'll get accused of ageism for even suggesting that they need to get in shape or use makeup.

9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "getting in shape" makes sense if the character will be going through a lot of scenes that only make sense for a character who is in shape.

10. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Nah. Or at least I wouldn't.

I would cry ageism for comments about how they're ugly because they're old, or that they're not worth seeing on the big screen because they are no longer 23 and gold-bikini worthy.

11. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    TS has a point, and I thought about this when I first heard about the new trilogy.

Yes, they are older, and will be playing older characters. But, they need to get in shape.

Despite all of this focusing more on Hamill, it is really Fisher that is more important when it comes to conditioning. She was the princess!

They both need to get in shape (and probably will get a nudge to do just that); otherwise it will be unbecoming of their characters (especially the princess).

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I think what's cool about Hamill, Fisher and Ford coming back, would be exactly that they'd not be casted because they look old the "distigushed way." They'd be casted because they are who they are! Consequently, they also look the way they've happened to age (at least until the makeup artists and sharpeshifters of Hollywood get their claws in them). I think it's refreshing!

Very good point. Their roles will fit their age. And special effects will make sure they can do that little extra that probably will be required ;)

TreborSabreon and Artoo-Dion like this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Actually I am accusing people of ageism hahah.

It is a ridicilous idea that seems to be spreading all over, not just in regards to SW.
    I've heard people say that the Rolling Stones should stop making music and touring just because they're old. Now the point is not if you like their music or not, but people who say those kind of things can't do in their current 20s what Mick Jagger does in his late 60s. Just an example.

Same goes with the posts that have been floating around here, people complain about the original cast because of their age and looks which I find completely ridicilous. People age in GFFA same as they age here, in our own little universe.

14. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I think a lot of it will come down to the plot and writing quality - which I expect to be high, based on the choice of Arndt.

If they put the Big 3 in situations that seem inappropriate, then their age might be glaring and unacceptable to the audience. But I have faith that they'll want to use them appropriately, given the general feelings of good will extended to the characters (and the actors) by both committed SW fans and the general movie-going audience. Dumping on that would be a seriously poor business decision.

kataja likes this.
  15. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    This is an edited & expanded version of a post I made on another thread, but I actually think it's more appropriate here:

I understand that people get older and that's the way it is - I myself am a lot older than I was when I saw ANH in the theatre as a small child.

I just don't have any desire to see Luke, Han, and Leia in any more SW films, irrespective of their age - I feel the same way now as I would have felt if episodes 7-9 had come out in the late '80's instead of being planned in this decade. IMHO, the story arc (at least in films) of these specific characters ended in ROTJ. The final scenes with the heroes celebrating in the Ewok village, Luke burning Vader's body at the funeral pyre, subsequently seeing the "Force ghosts" looking at him approvingly, and then letting Leia take him back to his friends in the Ewok village is the perfect ending for these characters in the films.

That being said, to add to the conversation re: the the age issue of "The Big Three" in comparison to Sir Alec Guiness in ANH, there is a huge difference here: When ANH came out in '77, I'm guessing that most kids watching the film (including myself) weren't that aware of Guiness' many previous roles, since many of us were too young to have seen his older films (i.e., Bridge on the River Kwai, etc.); and, to us, I'm guessing that AG was & always would be "Obi-Wan Kenobi". However, I'm sure that the adults watching the films at the time were aware of AG's previous roles, and to them I'm sure he looked a lot older than he did in many of the films he did in the '50's, '60's, etc. IMHO, AG does very much look his age in ANH, but this obviously really fits the character, i.e. an old warrior who has been living alone in the desert for 20 years. And, IMHO the casting is spot-on - I can't imagine anyone else playing the role as well as he did.

And, my above observations re: AG also go for the great Peter Cushing, who, like AG, at the time of ANH had already been a well-known actor for years. However, again, I'm guessing that kids watching ANH at that time will now always think of the actor as "Grand Moff Tarkin".

Conversely, to those of us who have grown up seeing "The Big Three" in the OT, they now obviously look a lot older than they did 30 years ago. IMHO, this is more pronounced in the cases of MH & CF, since they haven't gotten nearly the exposure that HF has - HF has been steadily acting in films since ANH (and, up until the early 2000's, averaged roughly a movie per year), so his current appearance isn't as jarring, since we all pretty much know what he looks like from his recent films.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  16. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    You think they are old, how about bringing back General Veers.
    [​IMG]

[face_laugh]

17. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004

Heh.

Lost all respect for General Veers when they flashed that there Ewok he had between his legs, hiding behind their position of power/machines to overcompensate.

18. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    I met both Hamill and Fisher at Celebration. Mark does need to work out and lose some weight (don't most of us) but I have no doubt he can do it. He will be great in this movie. I am worried about Fisher. She was very heavy again and acted, to be honest, burnt out. I have no worries about Ford.

19. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    You must respect the man he was:p

yggdrasil311 likes this.
  20. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004

While I do respect what he was, he did sometimes choose...................POORLY.

Darth_Kiryan and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  21. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Size matters not.

TheMasterOfSoresu likes this.
  22. The Crippled God

The Crippled God Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 17, 2012
    Their age really isn't a big deal - what kind of story we will get is. If the oldies are given believable scenes it doesn't matter, if the story really would fit thirty-somethings better than it will be awkward. If (not that there is any official confirmation) Leia, Luke etc. return, they should be doing roles that fit their age. Luke a wise old Jedi, Leia a political figure...both fine. More worried about Han Solo in that regard. What kind of role could he have as a sixty-seventy year old? And do we want to see the awesome Han Solo as a doddering old good guy with none of the spunk of yore?
    I'm crossing my fingers that the sequels won't be much about these characters. Which I guess is an unpopular opinion..off to find that unpopular opinion-thread!

23. yggdrasil311

Oct 7, 2004
    Rather than go old, let's think like some of these people and cast someone young instead.

For example, let's see how it would work out for this youngster and if this will please the subby and others:

[​IMG]

oh...... ....

EviL_eLF and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  24. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    [​IMG]

I think Harrison Ford should be left out the last few years since Kingdom of the Crystal Skull have not been too kind.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    [​IMG]