main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Jorus C'baoth

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    Really? I must have misremembered, then. Was it in the AOTC novelization?

2. tal0nkarrde

tal0nkarrde Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    I think that the original Jorus would have been a problem for Palpatine. He was simply too arrogant to control and, as we have seen in both novels and movies, Palpatine wanted his apprentices under his control. A clone would be much easier to control because he could be flash taught everything Palpatine wanted to know while omitting all that he didn't want him to know.

3. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Yep..

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    From what I remember, Jorus was a total psycho by the end of Outbound Flight. Seriously an extragalactic trip with a ship full of Jedi, some technicians, and children? What did he think was going to happen? The Outbound Flight, Jorus C'baoth's legacy, is the dumbest mission in Star Wars. As for why he was cloned? Maybe Palpatine liked his midi-chlorine count or something. Maybe Palpatine thought a clone Jorus would be dumb enough to be happy guarding a mountain.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    C'baoth says at one point that he foresees the doom of the Jedi- and that all that will remain is Outbound Flight, to bring them back.

6. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Didn't get that one quite right, did he (crystal ball gone in for cleaning, perhaps)?

7. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    I recall that as well. It seams to me, that he would rather start his own Order than try to save the current one. Pretty full of himself.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He might have been taking the view that all the old order's traditions- no multiple padawans under one master, no training adults, no contact between Jedi and their families, no wielding of direct political power by the order- were mistakes, but since there was no way of convincing Yoda of that, the solution was to go away and come back later.

Pretty full of himself, certainly. But maybe, while distorted through the lens of his own ego, his vision wasn't far wrong?

9. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Don't get me wrong. I agree with most of his talking points about the flaws of the OJO. The issue is that I have a hard time believing he would make those changes for the betterment of the Order and the galaxy instead of for his personal gain.

If I have to choose betweeen someone whose methods in the Force I agree with, but is out for nothing more than his ego OR someone whose methods in the Force differ from mine, but is solely out for the betterment of the galaxy im not sure who I would pick. It comes down, IMO, to beliefs vs, ethics. Which would you pick?

10. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Except that Palpy saw eighteen Jedi (and a craft packed as full as possible with non-Force Sensitives in the higher-bracket midichlorian area) as an irresistable target!

Vialco likes this.
  11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Jacen saw himself as "solely out for the betterment of the galaxy" but thanks to The Dark Side's effects on his thinking, everything went downhill fast.

12. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    My point is, I disagree with many tenents of the OJO, but we know Yoda was out to help the galaxy...not for his own gain. While I agreed with Jorus on some issues it's obvious he was corrupt. We can't let a persons beliefs and ideas distract us from their true morals and the way they treat other forms of life.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He was definitely on the edge for most of the book. Though it's his attempt to Force choke Thrawn that causes his apprentice to sense him "going over to the Dark Side"

In Crosscurrent, at one point, a Survivor refers to him as insane.

Vialco likes this.
  14. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    Definitely in the 'Control Freak' mode.

15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That someone like Jorus C'Baoth could not only remain at large without getting his ass sent to Lola Sayu but be put in charge of Outbound Flight is one of the most shameful moments of the PT-era Jedi Order. The guy was slightly more stable than his clone.

Vialco likes this.
  16. Tim Battershell

Sep 3, 2012
    I'm wondering if it was actually the cloning process that sent Joruus loopy, or if the seed was well and truly there beforehand - courtesy of the donor cells.

Vialco likes this.
  17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe that's why the clone was insane in the first place- they didn't just take C'baoth's genes, they took an imprint of his brain, and basically copied it for the clone.

Thus, the clone isn't just genetically identical- it has all C'baoth's memories and personality traits up to just before Outbound Flight was launched.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I have to give it to OF: that the original C'Baoth was such a ****** was a big surprise. Completely unexpected.

19. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea I figured the real Jorus would be a lot more stable. Just figured the clone was nuts because....well, it was a clone.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The idea of "clone madness" seems to be completely absent in the prequel movies- though that can be put down to 10-year growth cycles rather than ones of less than one year.

21. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I guess the crazy apple didn't fall too far from the clone tree

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I wonder exactly what happened between Outbound Flight and Heir to the Empire- (I think someone said that The Guardian was confirmed to exist in the recent SW encyclopaedia, and that The Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook statement had therefore been retconned).

Was C'boath cloned, as Thrawn & Pellaeon speculate, "early in the war"?

How much did he know about the Empire and the Emperor, given that he makes a few pronouncements about both?

Vialco likes this.
  23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    C'baoth.

24. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Sometimes I forget which way round the vowels in that name go when typing in a hurry.

25. King_in_Yellow

King_in_Yellow Jedi Knight

Jan 15, 2012
    Interesting, though I would have preferred that the C'baoth clone to have always been the guardian. If you think about it, it makes perfect sense for the Emperor to have chosen C'baoth's clone as the guardian.

A typical dark jedi or dark side adept would look at the treasure trove of technology and military hardware in Mount Tantiss and realize he could whip up a clone army in very short order and then go on a conquest spree. Many of Palpatine's minions were competent and deadly but they had a tendency towards disloyalty and self aggrandizement.

But C'baoth's clone had certain unique views on power and authority, actually disdaining dominion over distant worlds he would never see or directly control. Although C'baoth''s clone had enough megalomania to spare, he was utterly uninterested in galactic conquest. But he was also vain and arrogant enough to brutally kill anyone who came to Wayland looking to exploit Mount Tantiss simply because he didn't want anyone moving in on his territory.

How very convenient for Darth Sidious that the person guarding his greatest treasures was a massively powerful dark jedi master who would never in a million years use those treasures against Darth Sidious himself. It seems so elegant, almost as if it were deliberately designed that way...

Vialco and Chewbacca89 like this.