main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT A non-EU explanation for how Yoda knew about the Rule of Two

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps Darth Bane declared the Rule of Two and/or was overheard declaring it BEFORE disappearing.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Jedi Path, the Jedi believe Bane died on Ruusan, with the rest of the Sith Order.

So far, only the EU explains how they know, when they believe the Sith died with Bane, and know little about him- in The Essential Guide to The Force, apparently an insane Dark Jedi was babbling about "always two there are" over a century before- and the Jedi figured out that this referred to the Sith.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ruusan is EU. I was referring to the TPM novel. But thanks anyway.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The TPM doesn't explain either. So basically any explanations will be either EU, or fanfiction.

If you want fanfic explanations for them knowing about the Rule of Two - I'm not imaginative enough to come up with one on the fly.

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The OP.

6. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The name Darth Bane isn't even spoken in the movies. It can only be considered "not EU" on the presumption that this part of the novel was written on Lucas's instructions and wasn't authorial invention the way some parts of the novelizations are.

7. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    What's wrong with EU? The movies are only 13 hours for all 6 of them. That is very, very little compared to everything else, hours-wise. You simply can't explain all of SW in 13 hours.

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed.

Sure, one can come up with "non-EU" explanations for oddities in the movies- but it's not exactly necessary.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I never said there's anything wrong with the EU. I just want to know what GL intended. The OP is a possibilty (and so is the EU explanation).

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    You could submit the question to him on Facebook I suppose.

Aside from that, we can never know, only guess. Maybe that story was specifically authorised, by him, for the Ryder Windham Jedi vs Sith book? Ryder Windham has written a lot of movie tie-ins, such as the Visual Dictionary.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The EU is the only reason anything needs to be explained in the first place. Nothing in TPM precludes the possibility that the Sith were already no more than two before they were thought destroyed and went into hiding.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The novelization states that the Sith were all destroyed in a matter of weeks "All save one" - that one Sith had the Rule of Two insight - and that Sith was called Bane.

If that bit of the novel was effectively "dictated by Lucas" then it becomes G-canon rather than C-canon. Though, I suppose there could be such a thing as "G-canon EU".

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Clone wars somehow fits into that, IMO.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    They're usually called "T-canon" and ranked below G but above C.

Unless that was changed recently.

The Ewoks movies and possibly the Dreaded Holiday Special may qualify, as "made by Lucas, yet not the Big Six movies".

darklordoftech likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    As far as I'm aware, canon levels are only within the EU. In the Lucasverse, the six movies, TCW, and the intent behind them are simply canon while everything else simply isn't (no offense to the EU).

Vialco likes this.
  16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I doubt the Holiday Special is above anything else Lucas made in terms of canon.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    When Bea Arthur dances with Walrusman, you just know that's canon.

18. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    The Holiday Special is something we'd all like to forget, I am so glad I never had to see it in it's entirety, what little I have seen and heard of it is cringe-worthy.

19. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    As for explaining the Rule of Two, there is nothing wrong with the EU, and the novels in which the RoT is explained are terrific stories. I highly recommend reading the following books in order.

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction
    Darth Bane: Rule of Two
    Dath Bane: Dyasty of Evil

20. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    1. No one ever said there's anything wrong with the EU.
    2. I am currently reading POD.

21. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I know that. TCW is technically still the story of Anakin, and GL is still at the helm.

22. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    The EU is good. Really good. But the later books and stories, well, uggh! I mean , it seems to be a common opinion that as soon as the Yuuzhan Vong appear, so NJO really, that everything just went up the creek.

23. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Funny, that's exactly when I stopped reading the EU (apart from the occasional one-off that sounded interesting like Dark Lord & Darth Plagueis). Glad I did - eventually Jacen Solo becomes a Sith Lord called Darth Caedus & kills his little brother? Really?

It's dopey, desperate stuff like that which gives the EU a bad name.

24. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    I don't recognise Lumyia or Darth-Emo-Wanna-be-Sith-Lord.

It's stupid.

(Would have been way way way way better if they did something similar to what YodaKenobi did in his fanfiction stories. even though Jacen Solo still goes sith, at least it sounds like someone going dark)

25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Above, no. Equal to, yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.