main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

**Over 30 Writers Club ***

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Over_30_Writers_Club, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't even bother having candy. I've never had a trick or treater. I have a cabin in the woods that's too scary to visit...also too far away from people.

2. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Stupid double post!

3. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    This will be the first time I'll get trick-or-treaters. Maybe. If the neighborhood does trick-or-treating. So, I made sure to buy candy. And if I don't get any trick-or-treaters, I'll have candy.

I checked on the spider that made a home in the fake web, and it caught a bug today. The bug was caught with the fake web. I also noticed a wolf spider crawling up beside one of the fake plastic spiders. It's investigating the fake web, too.

4. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    ACK! I hate wolf spiders![face_nail_biting] It sounds like you have way too many arachnids at your house.

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I have a lot of arachnids too in my house. There are the very long legged spiders we call in the Netherlands hooiwagens (hay-wagons) that reside where they can catch the crawling bugs known as 'pissebedden'

6. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Earlybird, that bug's name - well, let's say it's good my cat has taken to wetting the carpet not my bed, otherwise he'd be "pissing the bed and" in more trouble.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see... there's the spider in the web near my bed, that big sac spider that I suspect bit me one night a couple weeks ago (haven't seen it for a while, though), another sac spider that lives in the living room, another spider that I found dangling from the overhead light in the kitchen (it started to descend and I said "Get back up there!" and it went right on back up to the light), then there's the two jumping spiders downstairs on the door (they've been there for months), and now the spider in the fake web and the wolf spider (that one isn't where I saw it now, so I don't know if it stayed)...

My apartment is full of spiders!

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Where the hell do you live? Arachnitopia? Where ever it is I don't want to go there. I spray the house big time whenever I see a spider.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've had nightmares resembling that.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Something different. I just returned from a 10 K run in Leiden. The WAKZ charity run for the childrens hospital that is named after our crown prince Willem Alexander. A nice run and dry until I finished. Now it's drizzling

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Three miles north of Gettysburg, in a development set off into the fields. The spiders came with the apartment.

12. J_Girl

J_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey, guess what happens when a huge scary 'hybrid' storm decimates your area, makes a tree crash on your house making it so you can get out through the front door or get out of your driveway, but hey who is going anywhere when we can't get gas and nobody has any power to open anywhere up anyway? Oh and then a silly little nor'easter dumps 6 inches of snow on top of everything just to make sure you are the most thoroughly scr*w*d as you can be????

Answer: you train your flashlight on fanfiction that you printed out over 12 years ago and then start writing the old fashioned way with a pen and paper. Also realizing you sorta forgot how to use a pen for much else other than pushing 'yes' and signing your name on those credit card machines. Who'da thunk it would take an unprecedented storm to get me writing again? :p

At least we have power again. I decided Thomas Edison isn't just my homeboy from NJ, but my new hero along with brilliant Ben Franklin. Lightbulbs and electricity are exceptionally awesome!

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Sorry to hear how bad it is there. It sucks getting a double whammy like that. I hope they get things up and running soon. After a microburst hit our yard and tossed trees all over and then dropped them on the power lines, my husband put solar panels on the house so we would have at least lights when the power went off. We brought a portable solar panel set to Scout camp and everybody was using the power to charge their phones. I would recommend them.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    The nor'easter missed me entirely, as I was too far west. Shame, though. I wanted snow.

15. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    This is how I know I am now really old. I am watching The Amazing Spiderman with my boys (the newest movie). There is a barabel like lizard dude terrorizing the city, Spiderman is a cocky wisecracker, the special effects are impressive...but the entire time I am thinking..."It's great to see Sally Field again in a movie. She doesn't look bad. I loved her in the Flying Nun."

16. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I don't particularly care for the Lizard's new look. I preferred a longer snout, so that he looked more like a monitor lizard.

As for feeling old... My niece and nephews help with that.

17. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    *sneaks in* hmmm... I qualify for this thread now - eep!

At least I'm in good company!

18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    You can join us young people and feel old.

And speaking of old... I need to get a flu shot, soon.

19. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I've already got my first cold of the season. Is it a sign you're getting older when you manage to get sick just by stepping outside :p?

20. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I got my flu shot today and my whole arm hurts. I lined up with all the senior citizens as we all went in at the same time for flu shots.

21. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Everybody over the EP7 are complaining that the big three are too old to be in the movies and then they are posting the worst photos of Mark, Carrie and Harrison as proof. Nobody looks as bad as those paparazzi photos. They don't have their make up on and the lighting sucks. A little makeup and I am sure we will have our handsome farmboy back.

See, I did an artist depiction.
    [​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  22. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Very nice work. :D

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Thanks. You should see my business cards. A friend looked at it and said,"When was this taken, when you were in High School?'
    I said, "No, last week. I just know how to use Photoshop."

Ha! I put him in my bedroom! That is my stained glass bedroom window. I added the robes and saber to the photomanip of his head.

Since he has his saber out I can only assume he is going to kill my husband so we can run off together. :p
    [​IMG]

TrakNar likes this.
  24. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I haven't been to this site in YEARS!!!! Its good to be back. If you see my old friends Clarus or Jairen around, give them a shout out from me.

1) Age- Just turned 40! I was in my early 30s the last time I was here.

2) How long have you been writing or reading on these boards?I discovered TheForce.Net when I was looking for a site to check on spoiliers after The Phantom Menance. I have been a member since 2000-2001. I wrote a fan fic with 3 other members which became the first multi-authored story ever archived here. IN ANOTHER's EYES.

3) Favorite genre, saga of SW? During Saga

4) Favorite characters and why? Yoda...he's short like me. I would love to write a story from his point of view to figure out if he thinks the same way he talks and how challenging that would be to arrange thoughts and dialogue that way.

5) Why has SW always been so special to you? Star Wars is the first movie I remember seeing in a theater when I was 5 years old. There might have been others before, but Star Wars erased all of those from my memories and made me love sci-fi from that moment on...35 years later I am here writing about it.

Finally...

6) Favorite tips or advice for writing. Read other people's stuff and rate it...Learn from it. Borrow from it if you have to, but read lots and lots of stuff to get ideas.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    To add to that advice, read other stuff outside of your preferred genre and franchise. You might be surprised what all inspires you. For example, I've been reading the Cthulhu Mythos lately. Getting plenty of ideas from it. Though... cosmic horror, in my opinion, would work best with Sith, so that may be an angle I can play with. Perhaps I could utilize it for my old NaNo fic that I got stuck on...

On the real-life front... I decided this evening that I needed a haircut. So, I laid newspapers on the bathroom floor, got out my scissors and a spritz bottle, and cut my hair. Again, it came out passable, albeit choppy. I did a bit better on the back this time around. However, in the front, where I can see it and therefore shouldn't have trouble... I somehow managed to cut too close in one spot, so now I have a small bald spot! Right in the front! I seriously have no idea how I managed to screw that up!

Perhaps someone should get me a set of clippers for Christmas...

26. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    The Cthulu Mythos can give you ideas for stories you never thought you would write. I had to stop reading them because my ideas were getting weirder than I was willing to explore. :p

TrakNar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.