main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena 2023-24 NCAA Football Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPoppy, Nov 16, 2006.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Even waiting until the 5th week wouldn't do much good. People would still talk about the "great" win over West Virginia. Just sayin'

Using polls and computers as the factor to determine who plays for your championship is stupid. Let's just be honest. Outside of the years things work out nice and we have two unbeaten teams and no one else, this system just isn't all that good. I'm cautiously optimistic that hte committee for the playoff will do better and not blindly rely on polls and computers.

I'm predicting this year ends in mass chaos. I think ND, Oregon lose to USC, and K-State loses to Texas. Just because that'd be a lot more fun.

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I won't be happy with that either. Generally speaking, call it a damn tournament, but not the playoffs. They aren't playoffs if the higher seed doesn't get to host the playoff game. I said it before, but let's say that Notre Dame maintains the higher seed over Alabama. Why should ND have to travel south to a neutral site to play that game? I'd love to see an SEC team actually travel north of Kentucky for a game for once... especially in South Bend, IN in late December/early January.

yankee8255 and darthtenbiscuits like this.
  3. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    That's the thing, even the computers aren't completely unbiased -- how do you judge strength of schedule? Just on opponents records? What if I schedule nothing but the best teams in weak conferences. They probably all finish 10-2 or better, so I look great. As I understand it, the computers go past that, rank the strength of conferences, etc. but that becomes subjective too at some point. In the end, using any kind of ranking to decide between two teams with the same record is absurd. Thankfully, in a few years we'll finally get a playoff.

Another interesting look at ND's rank by SI's Stewart Mandel. Makes the point that in this case, ND is hurt by its independent status. Essentially, all Big 12 coaches will vote for KState, Pac-10 for Oregon.

Already clicked like, but that's not sufficient, I LOVE this.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Slow news day at ESPN: They're reporting the Oregon Duck lost his head while skydiving.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    That, and my 4-6 Vols are getting two more years piled onto our probation, a la Lane Kiffin's violations.

Talk about a punch to the junk.

6. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I would now like to register the possibility to gloat if Vanderbilt beats Tennessee tomorrow.

Also, as I'm back home, I will be at the UCLA USC game tomorrow. Am wondering when the last time both teams were ranked going into it was.

DarthTunick likes this.
  7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Am I the only one entertained that the MIGHTY SEC has their top four teams playing the following juggernaut opponents today:

Western Carolina
    Jacksonville State
    Wofford
    Sam Houston State

S-E-C
    S-E-C
    S-E-C
    S-E-C

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  9. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Wisconsin-Ohio State has me crazy tense right now.

Edit: TOUCHDOWN.

Edit 2: Kick is good. OVERTIME.

Edit 3: Urban Meyer can kiss my ass.

10. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    Hav - the household is going nuts eight now. Nervous!

Edit. Bah. We should've gone for 2...
    (mobile sock of s65horsey)

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    That's what I said. Win it with Montee right there rather than risk another stalled drive.

12. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Pretty pathetic showing by the Buckeyes today, considering they had two weeks to prepare for this game.

Man, the Big 10 is embarrassing this year.

13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Leaders Division, especially. Third place team will represent them in the championship game. Obviously, there are extenuating circumstances with OSU and PSU, but Whisky should have been able to step up.

14. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    UCLA puts up a solid win against USC. I'm very pleased.

And... at this point, it would not be surprising if current games ended with #1 and #2 losing.

And Vanderbilt is up on Tennessee so far, too.

Grand Admiral Strife likes this.
  15. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    WVU - Oklahoma is sorta fun to watch. My buddies and I decided if West Virginia wins, we're going to Pizza Hut.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    West Virginia does seem to be doing it's standard thing of score lots of points. I'm currently watching Oregon vs Stanford. Hoping to see Oregon prevail here.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Wisconsin deserved to lose that game for valuing trying to get Ball the record over actually winning the game. On the drive where Ball fumbled and the Bucks should have sealed the game, there's no excuse for not trying to run some sort of play action or misdirection play with the Bucks targeting Ball so heavy and so hard. But, they valued trying to get Ball the record, and so it's fitting that they got neither.

And, I disagree that was a "pathetic" performance. Camp Randal is a tough place to play, I don't care who you are. Especially on Senior Day with all the emotion in the building. Good, tough, gritty win on the road makes me happy. Beat TSUN and get the 12-0 record and the season's a success.

s65horsey likes this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This is about as bad as it gets for UT. The Kentucky game should be competitive next week, congrats to Vandy.

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not to jinx things, but yankee8255 might be the biggest Baylor fan in the world right now.

20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Such an odd game going on now between Oregon and Stanford. It is so weird to see such a low-scoring affair.

21. DT421

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, it looks like K-State is done in the Championship race.

Nothing like taking an already mediocre conference and making it even worse. Not real thrilled about this if it happens. [face_plain]

22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, if they're not high-quality programs, there's no need for the Big Ten to go after them. I can understand the appeal of getting the markets and having some more teams to beat up on and buff the top contenders' records, but they're better off not diluting the product and trying to preserve the quality of competition if they want to work on public/poll opinion.

Because trying to stop Ball was working out so well for you beforehand? :p

23. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    It'd take a miracle for Kansas State to win. Or like, 3 miracles. Great, now I've got to root for Notre Dame.

24. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    And Darth Kat!

Sent from my Precious using Tapatalk 2

yankee8255 likes this.
  25. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Oh crap! Stanford just tied it up...yesssss.

Sent from my Precious using Tapatalk 2