main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Should there be a gay character in Episode VII Pt 2

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Esg, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    As the earlier thread was untimely closed.

I believe it would add more diversity in the SW Universe and it would be interesting to have a someone attracted to or in a relationship with someone of the same sex.

I wan't a good clean debate, instead of locking this thread or going Ooga booga Gay sex lets be civil and no spam.

2. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
  3. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Not an issue worth exploring or fighting for in my book, if it is an issue for anybody just imagine any of the characters in any of the films is whatever you think they should be, if they need to be gay, its cool.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I see absolutely no reason why not to include a character who is attracted to people of the same sex if that attraction just happens to be part of the character's overall personality--as with gay people in real life, it is. There seemed to be some really horrific and stereotypical assumptions in the last thread insinuating that all gay people do is have sex with members of the same sex.

Just as we straight folks do, gay people have to work, go to school, buy groceries, eat, sleep, and poop. They are not the circus freaks that people were labeling them in the other thread simply because they come home at night to a partner of the same gender.

I don't want a pigeonholed gay character just so Disney can say, "Hey, look here! Lesbian/gay man!" But if it works, just as it worked for Dumbledore to be gay in the Harry Potter series, then by all means, bring it.

Count Yubnub, Esg and Darth_Zandalor like this.
  5. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    The reality of it is that it's still a 'statement' to some and it would hurt the box office of the films, so I reckon there isn't much chance of it happening.

6. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't think it should because I don't see how it would be necessary for the story. Dumbledore being gay didn't effect the story of Harry Potter it just surprised a lot of people and upset some others.

It's really neither here nor there tho because Disney would never have it as it would effect sales. I can say with certainty that pretty much 100% of the gay population would take no offense to seeing a hetero romance in a movie, however there are alot of hetero people who will bitch and moan and boycott if there is homosexuality in any form in the picture. So even if it would only cost them a few nickles and dimes in the end they won't do it.

And besides, Rowling didn't care about hurting her sales by making Dumbledore gay because the people who would complain about a gay character in a children's book were already complaining about the magic and occult in her children's books.

7. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    That right there really sums it up. in the last thread I poked a little fun and maybe that wasn't the proper thing to do, however alot of the time it boils down to such because there is really not much to say on this matter except the above. Thing is, with such a large universe of characters, it's certain to be populated with beings of MANY different inclinations, some of whom are of course going to be gay. We can assume this quite easily, and if one is so inclined to wonder about it, we've had 6 movies now. No one has ever said "hey what an amazing saga, and so free of gays I hope!" No, its a natural part of being alive; even animals engage in it. With that in mind, you can see that making a point about it changes the flavor, and sorry to say, can put SW into a different catagory right alongside The Huffington Post and Fox News and other garbage that at this point in LGB debate, just upsets a lot of people and heres why: this is a polarizing issue. People go to movies to relax and escape to another place other than Earth. SW type movies in particular are not places for debates such as this. It may be Sad But True, but there is still along way to go before acceptance will be achieved of the LGB community and there are plenty of places other than sci-fi movies to point this out.

But that doesnt mean that most people would care per se about Greedo's love bug preference. They also would take issue with having the endangered spot footed grey pirate catfish lead the sith army. It just seems political even if its not intended to be. I think this is the real issue, and not ignorant bible thumping hate mongering rainbow mobs. At least in the SW universe. Thats all it is.

8. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    This!

9. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    Sure, the one thing a family space adventure movie made mostly for kids needs is gay characters.

Give me a break...

If you want diversity why don't you throw something for the people who like...loving animals? I mean you might as well.
    The movie needs to appeal to everyone in this world to make a profit and so that random organizations don't feel offended, right?
    Hey, you know that awesome group of people who go to the cemetery at night and...um...has a party? Let's throw in something for them so they don't feel offended.

10. VonDan

VonDan Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 4, 2012
    The last thread was closed because i posted the correct and final response

There all ready was a gay character in Star Wars, Jar Jar Binks and now there is no need for any more

11. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    I think that's empirically false. I think that if you can't think of anything to add to the discussion, that's fine, but maybe you don't need to be part of the conversation. But that doesn't mean there aren't a variety of potential discussions to be had about the inclusion of LGBT people in Star Wars. But it's very insulting to suggest that there's just nothing interesting to say about this broad spectrum of culture and human behavior, so let's make some rainbow puns. I know that's likely not what you meant, but I'm just trying to clarify how it came across.

12. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Twilight has a monopoly on this...maybe you would enjoy those movies

13. TWISTY

TWISTY Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2012
    First of all the accusations that Disney is a "conservative" and anti-gay corporation are completely false. Disney is a liberal titan and has on many occasions openly supported gay rights by allowing same sex couple to have the same employee benefits as straight couples. Also, ever heard of "Gay Days" at Disney World?

Part of the reason Star Wars is so awesome is because the characters and stories feel "timeless" (hence the "a long time ago.." etc etc) and while homosexuality has been around for thousands of years (mostly behind closed doors) it lacks that timelessness and dare I say innocence that is required of a Star Wars movie and when I see any gayness in anything I, along with with many other people I suspect, are immediately reminded of present times. As much as I want to see two lesbian Jedi twileks get it on I really think that homosexuality is better left to more modern types of storytelling, and honestly because of the reasons I listed above if I ever see any homosexuality in Star Wars I'm walking out of the theater, not because I'm anti-gay in any way but because of how disappointed I would be at Disney for shoehorning in such a current hot topic that frankly polarizes the entire world. There are too many people on both sides of the fence for them to take such a risk like that.

Although hilariously enough.... I could totally see Luke going gay and actually could see it working if it was handled like WAAAAY subtly. It's never going to happen though because Disney, despite being a pro-gay company for years, is way too wise to take such a stupid risk.

LawJedi likes this.
  14. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    This discussion is still going on?

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Are you serious?

Esg likes this.
  16. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I think there should be a human character attracted to wookies, possibly even hutts!

17. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Isn't C-3PO gay?

18. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Don't we already have R2D2 & C3PO?

Edit: U beat me 2 it.

19. TWISTY

TWISTY Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2012
    LOL! It would definitely draw people to the theaters! I think he's talking in terms of fan reaction.

20. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    I think they should have chewie fall in love with 3PO.

Jobertus likes this.
  21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I personally would not want it since it would inevitably cause a stir. I just want to enjoy the films.

22. TWISTY

TWISTY Jedi Padawan

Nov 17, 2012

Awwww! I'm cool with that actually...

23. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I just think that is an incredibly narrow perspective. "People don't like Gays so it will make ticket sales go down". You don't see how that could be viewed as an offensive statement?

24. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Not even finished one page and already insults and hurt feelings are showing up. Why was this topic brought back again?

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  25. cbagmjg

Jul 12, 2006
    Yeah, because nobody ever says anything offensive on here.

Unless its integral to the story or moves the plot forward, then its just there so disney can saiy "look, we put an openly gay character in a Star Wars movie".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.