main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Did you say something...?
    [​IMG]

2. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Its too early for otter love...please...no.

3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In all seriousness, I'm feeling particularly punchy after the cluster**** the ST thread turned into, so let's keep things relatively mature in here for the time being.
    Facebook or Twitter are your best bets, but there's no real guarantee he'll respond anywhere.

Contessa and Sinrebirth like this.
  4. Qual

Qual Jedi Youngling

Dec 2, 2009
    Hi all. Long time lurker, really agree with the premise of this thread.

Just a quick note saying how refreshing it was to see the recent TCW arc have a really diverse cast of younglings (even if the only white human male ended up as a de facto leader despite being Rosh Penin's grandfather*). Just goes to show that it really isn't a stretch to showcase a diverse range of species, and that in a universe like Star Wars it doesn't require explanation.
    Here's to hoping the new films don't fall into the trap of stocking the next generation of Jedi with humans, SkySolos or otherwise.

*Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, we were talking recently about how some of the most diverse groups of characters are the ones that get introduced from whole cloth all at once - the Uhumele's another great example. And even better, the human kid in TCW doesn't even seem all that white!

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    "Hey, kids, here's a new cast of younglings that are actually diverse for a change!"
    *kid then watches ROTS where all the younglings die*
    "Hahaha! You didn't think we'd keep your diverse friends for long, did you!"
    *kid cries*

:p

Qual likes this.
  7. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Are we sure he is white, I don't know seems Arab to me, Personally.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Arabs are white. Good grief.

9. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Not really. White in the American Sense is having European Ancestry. Anything else is not. White People don't get disproportionately stopped and searched and the airport. Arabs do.

Contessa likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    White in the American Sense [sic]? Ever filled out the U.S. Census? :)

No, what you meant was white in a narrow-minded, ethnocentric sense.

11. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Which is the sense most relevant to everyday life. The census is quite frankly irrelevant. It has no affect on institutionalized and everyday racism. I hate the system quite frankly and it needs to be changed but that is the way it works. I mean you don't really think that most Americans consider Arabs to be white do you?

Contessa likes this.
  12. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    To be fair to Skaddix there, rightly or wrongly, was nearly an "Arab" category in the 2011 census in the UK.

13. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Again the government can pretend that is the way it works all they want but everyone knows that Arabs don't really get the benefits of white privilege the way Europeans do. Especially since 9/11.

Contessa likes this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Actually, the irony there is that it was an Arab lobby group that wanted the category added. The government were the ones who ended up not doing it and telling them to tick the White box.

15. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Interesting Does Britain have an Other Box?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes. It's racist. Thank you.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    What was that? An "Otter" box? [face_thinking]

krtmd, Random Comments and Zorrixor like this.
  18. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    There's a "write your own" option, yeah.

19. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Legally, Indians (from the subcontinent of India) are Caucasian but not white. Why should it be any different for Arabs?

20. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Well obviously but then again that is kinda the whole point of the system as the Europeans devised it back around half a millennium ago. Although the most useful benefits still go to the rich upper class because a divide and conquer strategy works wonders for their bottom line. So the more things change the more they stay the same.

Contessa likes this.
  21. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    Interesting. Although I think it would depend based on the ethnic group.

22. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    India is culturally not stereotypically Asian and not stereotypically Middle Eastern. But Pakistan used to be part of India, so this shows that India is similar to other Arab countries. If Indians are legally not white, Arabs probably shouldn't be, either.

23. Skaddix

Feb 3, 2012
    It depends in America true we usually mean Southeast Asian (China, Japan, Korea, etc) but I thought in Britain using Asian colloquially tends to refer to South Asian (India, Pakistan, etc).

24. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, the 2011 census was about obtaining a picture of society's attitudes to ethnicity, rather than assigning any legally binding categories, so I suspect if enough Arabs picked Other and filled it in, they'll probably add a category next time.

Likewise, I think there was a lot of uncertainty whether someone born in England of Indian descent would tick Indian Asian, White, or White and Asian, so the census was more about finding out what current attitudes are.

25. thesevegetables

Nov 11, 2012
    Zorrixor what really confuses me is why an Indian would think they were white in the first place. Japanese or Indonesian people don't call themselves white. There isn't shared culture between India and Europe and people do not look remotely alike. These areas are very far apart, too.